Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2016, 11:39 PM   #1

What to do with camper shell bed cover while towing

This works! roof racks, a sheet of 3/4" plywood, clamps to hold the camper shell to the plywood and roof racks. More storage area too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WA, OR, CA coast 052.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	117029  

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 11:43 PM   #2

Got a picture?

This is for garage usage?

Old 01-22-2016, 12:42 AM   #3

Pic should be there now, first time didn't get it right. Bolts work best to hold the shell to the roof racks and plywood floor. I said clamps- but the shell moves around from wind vibration with clamps. Too late to edit that post.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 01-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #4

I'll bet that turns a few heads.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #5

Wow

Must have a strong partner to help put that back down on the box!
dmstepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #6

Do you FULL TIME?
Old 01-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Do you FULL TIME?
Not full-timer; that wasn't my rig. We met that couple at a vista along HWY 101 in Oregon. He carried lawn chairs, folding tables, etc; light weight bulky things in the shell. I took that picture thinking I would do the same when I got home; instead we sold our 5er and bought this MH.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmstepa View Post
Must have a strong partner to help put that back down on the box!
Back when I used a camper shell, a few decades prior to that picture; I had a block N tackle rigged up in the garage to remove the shell by myself.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:36 PM   #9

Reason I asked if FT ...trying to figure out why camper shell would be on top of truck vs just left at home. FTng was only reason I could justify toting it around.

When I had a truck with camper shell or my 72 bronco I would unbolt it then lift it up using my back...walk it towards rear of truck then ease it down .

They are not all that heavy just awkward and I was a young bull.

Later on it was a block/tackle set up with 4 straps that had wide flat hooks
Lift it up/off and left it hanging from garage rafters

Block/tackle was later on replaced with a electric winch
Old 01-26-2016, 10:40 PM   #10

I find that a Retrax, Roll N Lock, or several other retractable or folding covers work well to protect the hitch and hide it while I am not towing, then move out of the way when I am ready to hook up again. Shells are a PITA and I never want another one.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #11
IC2

Way back, I had a camper shell but it was a very heavy Ford fiberglass piece. I built two tall saw horses about 4" higher then the truck bedsides. I would go inside and raise it with my back then slip a couple 2x6s underneath then drive out.

As far as the OP - no way would I carry a cap that way - but it is his choice - and I don't want to be in back of him if it comes loose.

A good hard tonneau cover would be my choice if a level of security was needed for unhooked bed carried things though I rely on a simple soft version.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Way back, I had a camper shell but it was a very heavy Ford fiberglass piece. I built two tall saw horses about 4" higher then the truck bedsides. I would go inside and raise it with my back then slip a couple 2x6s underneath then drive out.

As far as the OP - no way would I carry a cap that way - but it is his choice - and I don't want to be in back of him if it comes loose.

A good hard tonneau cover would be my choice if a level of security was needed for unhooked bed carried things though I rely on a simple soft version.
I certainly agree with that. However, that man decided to re-purpose his camper shell whil towing his 5er by placing in on the roof of his truck, and use it for carrying large bulky stuff, like bicycles, folding tables, etc.
Trying to carry such items in the truck bed is problematic at times.
The shell is clamped/bolted to the roof rack, as is the plywood deck, no more unsteady than roof rack + carrier on a car. If you read my 3rd post you saw that is not my rig.

Tags
towing, tow