Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #1
What to do with the hitch?

My hitch has been on my truck now for 2 months. Usually it is under a tarp but now I am moving and really do not have a good place to store it. How many just keep the hitch in the bed of the truck?

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
I normally leave it in the truck but if I need to haul anything else it hangs on the trailer pin. I put a lock on the release bar to keep prying fingers from dropping it on their feet.

RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:31 PM   #3
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
I normally leave it in the truck but if I need to haul anything else it hangs on the trailer pin. I put a lock on the release bar to keep prying fingers from dropping it on their feet.
Did the same thing when I had a fiver..
1995 BlueBird BMC 37
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
1984 BlueBird Wanderlodge FC35RB-Sold
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:47 AM   #4
My hitch is always on the truck with a cover on it to protect the air bags from the sun and to keep it in good condition.
2013 Mobile Suites 38TKSB
psaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:00 AM   #5
I've been storing mine in a damp storage building, but the comments above make me think about leaving it on the hitch. Sounds easier on my back.
2015 F350 XLT PSD CCSB SRW, Andersen Ultimate hitch
'12 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde Pinbox
1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:12 AM   #6
I leave mine in the bed, under a folding tonneau cover to protect the hitch from the elements. And people.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
When I store my hitch it is in two pieces, A Reese 16K slider hitch. The king pin retainer portion sits on the floor on a piece of 1/4 plywood ahead of the sliding portion which sits on the floor also on top of 1/4 inch piece of plywood. They are covered with plastic tarp in the winter. The truck can then be parked over these two pieces in the garage. My truck is a 4X4 which has enough ground clearance to clear the two pieces.
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #8
I am using a block and tackle in my garage to store the hitch on the ceiling and park the truck under it.
Navy_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #9
Mid Atlantic Campers
Mine has the quick release pins but I leave it in the bed also. If I need to haul something else I drag out the Hudson.
2008 CC 34RLSA / 2003 F-250 SD 6.0
birddog2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Stays in the truck under a tonneau cover. Have a trailer to tow if I need more space in the back.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:41 PM   #11

I have a B&W so I just remove it and keep it stored in the garge when not needed. I will admit that it gets heavier the older I get.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Reese 5th Airborne , Dual Pane Windows, TriMetric 2025RV. Honda EU2000i, All LED Lighting. Winfield Cross Brace Stabilizer. 2002 F350 7.3 Powerstroke, 6 Speed, 4X4 with lots of upgrades. USN Retired.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #12
There has been a hitch in the bed of my truck for almost 5 years. Only time I took it out was when I switched from a Reese to a Hensley BD3. It's also covered with a tri fold tonneau
Joe & Bev
2014 Ram 2500 TCD, 68RFE, CC, SB, 4WD
Rockwood 8289WS, Hensley BD3 hitch
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #13
Originally Posted by Max Tunnell View Post
I donít know if this should be on another thread, I think it is a different situation, but it serves to illustrate problems described some other threads.

A right rear spring broke on our Adventurer. Thatís pretty unusual, but not a big deal. When we took it to the selling dealer (actually, we were required to do that by our extended warranty), they accepted the unit and indicated they anticipated no problem. That was October 28.

O.K. Itís November 21 and they donít have the spring. ----Second hand story follows-----There is not ONE such item anywhere in the U.S. It seems a number of Workhorse Suppliers and distributors are out of business ĖIF they have one, they canít sell it or locate it because THEY ARE CLOSED.

Workhorse was very slow, but ultimately helpful in locating a GM part that could be slightly modified and (I believe) have an available kit added to it and it will work fine. That particular supplier (affiliated with Chevrolet) is apparently still doing business as of today. I got the impression that Workhorse did not really want to supply the info because of a policy to use nothing but Workhorse parts, but they finally did when there appeared to be no way to get a spring otherwise. ----Second hand story ends-----

I now wonder if we are going to have other supply problems due to the economy. Is Workhorse having supplier problems? Are they still making units? Why couldnít they have been more flexible under the present economic situation? They surely knew their suppliers were going down.

I naturally want to use my MH in the coming holidays and maybe Iíll get to, but the larger question of ďin the RV world, what will be the fallout of the present economic difficulties?Ē remains.

X2. That's what I do.
2008 Tundra DC, 5.7L, Airlift 5000 Airbags
2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Signature Untralight Diamond Package
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:18 PM   #14
Thor Owners Club
Hitch option

Well, it seems DW gets something big or volunteers me to haul something often enough that this past year I pull the two pins, take the head off, pull the bottom 4 pins, remove the base and put it all the way forward in box, re-set the head on top. Entire box has Cover over it and is also Rhino liner. Never moves an inch. And it only takes about 5 minutes to put it all back in place.

06 King of the Road 37RLQS
06 Coachman Cross Country 5.9L 300HP 382 DS
03 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L James, Trina, SMSgt, USAF Ret
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote