Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyt-parent View Post
I would also suggest reflective foil insulation on the windows. You can get this at any hardware store in a roll. Where we are park in the Texas Rio Grande Valley in the winter, the back windows are constantly in the sun. We cut to size, pieces of foil for the back windows and used some of those Commander 3M velcro strips to affix to the windows. When we want to take them down, we only need to unzip the velcro strips.
If you have dual pane windows make sure you put it on the Outside of the window or you will kill your seals....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
If you have dual pane windows make sure you put it on the Outside of the window or you will kill your seals....
I WISH!

BTW, the coils evidently froze up this morning as the temp increased and the air flow from the unit decreased to almost nothing.

I shut it off for 10 min then restarted and had great air flow the rest of the day.

That's the only thing I could think of.

So far, it's 112deg outside and the inside (door to sleeping qrtrs closed) is holding 82 deg.

Bob

Old 06-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #17

I bought a portable A/C unit at Home Depot for my 400 sq ft. office and it works very well. You could get one and just run a 20 amp cord from the power post to your unit and have all the A/C you would need. Mine cost $325 and has worked well for over 4 years now. You would have to place a drain plug in the floor and vent it out a window or put in a dryer vent but I know it would work for you.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpatine View Post
I would also get a 30A to 20A conversion "bone". When using 20a you have about 2200 watts of power available and if you are popping your breaker you are close. At 30A you have 3300 watts which gives you a much larger margin before the breaker trips.
20 amps is 2400 watts (20 X 120)
30 amps is 3600 watts (30 X 120)
50 amp RV service is 12,000 watts (50 X 120 X 2) since there are two legs each capable of feeding 50 amps.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #19

Another idea would be to find another space to move too. If you put your awning side toward the sun it would block alot of the sun from that side. A small evaporative type cooler would help out alot too.
rollondown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
20 amps is 2400 watts (20 X 120)
30 amps is 3600 watts (30 X 120)
50 amp RV service is 12,000 watts (50 X 120 X 2) since there are two legs each capable of feeding 50 amps.
In a perfect power feed situation you would be close to finding 120V but in a situation as he describes (temps over100) the power companies can not keep the voltage up due to the current draw on any step down transformer in their system. It's just not physically possible due to IR losses. And you would be doing very good to find even 110V, more likely 108V in this situation. Believe me, I dealt with it for years.
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
14 amps at 120 volts at the AC results in using 1680 watts in the AC. It will take 14.5 amps to do the same job at 116 volts. And 15.5 amps at 108 volts. So the OPs numbers look entirely reasonable from a voltage view point.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #22

My tips for the sun

We find our 13.5 BTU A/C works fine for our 30 ft rv in 100 degee temps. Here is what we do:

1. Park with the short side with the smallest window into the afternoon sun. For us it is the rear bedroom window. If sun is going to hit the side as it goes through the day position the RV so the awning can help protect that side.

2. Put the insulating foil in all the windows (including the front windows). You can get it at a hardware store. Here is what it looks like.
Multi-Purpose Foil - Product - Camping World

3. Put the insulating foil in your roof vents, shower dome, and over your roof fans. We also have a piece that goes over the vent out from the stove top. We use the sticky backed velcro which allows us to put the foil in place and take it down when not needing it.

4. Remove any food from the cabinets along the roof that would be hurt by the heat and then keep the cabinets closed. They provide an additional layer of insulation.

Good luck! I don't envy you being in the RV in this heat.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Hmmm....

Walmart has 'aluminum' look sunshades for auto and truck windows that are cheap -measure your windows and put those uip as a temporary measure....

Was also thinking slide covers, expensive and not timely to get right now,
and anything laid on the slides/rv has to be taken down....

What about something like the 'reflective paint' for the top of the slides ?

http://www.hytechsales.com/roofcoatings.html

http://www.sealoflex.com/files/pdf/Reflectowhite.pdf