Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2018, 08:13 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
What travels in your RV

What gear travels in your RV (not in storage bays) that comes out at the campsite? Do you store chairs, matts, or other gear in you RV or does it all go in the bays or in the bed of the truck?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #2

We have a camper shell on our truck. Chairs, grill, tool bag, coolers, fishing equipment, go in it. the basement has all the setup equipment
Old 12-15-2018, 08:43 PM   #3

We FTd in a 34' 5th wheel.
Nothing was 'stored for transit' in the interior of 5vr.
All storage was via basement compartments.
Only thing in bed of truck was a 4kw gen in its own enclosed box, hitch, auxiliary tool box (low profile between hitch and tailgate) and couple of leveling boards.

We could open any compartment, drawer, closet etc and SEE what was in them w/o having to DIG for items

Now weekenders/vacationers........we would sit out under the awning and watch them unload EVERYTHING from truck beds, compartments, isle ways, showers, off couches/beds ----like a circus clown car stuff just kept coming out.
Funny thing ...majority of items were not even used

LESS is MORE.
BASICS

FREE yourself of STUFF
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:30 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Under normal conditions we do not transport anything inside the RV that is used outside. Most everything is in the basement areas. On some trips the geny, extra fuel and a 2 gal propane cylinder for the grill lives in the bed along with the tool box in front of the hitch, plus a step stool, the wheel chocks and sometimes the leveling blocks. I may also throw in the stand alone front door step if its muddy.

When the rig is in storage at home everything except the 2 gal propane cylinder and geny/extra fuel is stored in the basement areas. We do not unload very much stuff other than perishable food and laundry when we get home. The clean laundry goes back in as soon as its washed. In the warm seasons the fresh water tank is kept at about 1/2 full so we can be hitched and out in 30-40 minutes.

We have also watched as some rigs arrive and the good folks spend 30 minutes unloading an amazing collection of stuff, bikes, kayaks, grill and who knows what else. They open the storage bay doors and the lose stuff tumbles out. Interesting in the rain.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:41 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Watching ( & chuckling)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
Community Moderator

gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
What gear travels in your RV (not in storage bays) that comes out at the campsite? Do you store chairs, matts, or other gear in you RV or does it all go in the bays or in the bed of the truck?
We have a toyhauler with a side patio, we store our 2 chairs and round table in the living room, pathway X2 is in the kitchen tied down, patio mat in the garage with the golf cart.
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:35 PM   #7

A few blankets, bluetooth speaker, seat warmers.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #8

Everything used outside goes in the basement and perimeter storage. The only things in the cabin are what lives in the cabin.

You'll find you'll need just a few items out. Carpet/Rug, Two chairs, Grill....that's about it. Our beer fridge lives in the basement. Chairs had built in side tables. As you travel more you'll get out less and less.
After a year or so I was even annoyed that I had to get out a tank for my grill (or that my grill wasn't built in...) - next one will pipe into the coach LP system.

Old-Biscuit nailed it on the head - weekenders spend quite a bit of time on setup/tear down. Fulltimers? Nah - easy in and easy out...
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:28 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I HAVE to make another comment to....

Mr. ManWithNoRV (-aka- Mr. RoadEyeGetSomePie)....

You (previously) say you bought a 35 LF+ 5th wheel and a D/P to tow with... But don't have anything listed on your profile? Does it matter where you put stuff to go with an RV? Why would you put all your camping items inside your trailer when they can go outside? Don't you have to have to purchase the items to install beforehand?

BIG QUESTION .... My #1 daughter finished her college finals last week, when will the group posting these 600+++ comments finish their semester and bring these tales to a completion?

Arkie_ENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
My diet "ZERO COKE" since the refrigerator is inside the 5er and keeps this cold. All else is stored in the basement of the 5er, the only thing in the pick-up truck bed is the hitch and a portable air tank.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
the only thing in the pick-up truck bed is the hitch and a portable air tank.

My bed is also empty, though I suffer from SRW'itis so do that on purpose

That said - you spend a lot of time unhitched, so no reason to haul around anything more then you have too, though the truck doesn't really care....
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #12

Everything used inside the coach stays in the coach. Everything used outside the coach stays outside the coach, including the beer, I have an outside fridge. Truck is full of fishing gear and tool box.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
Everything used outside goes in the basement and perimeter storage. The only things in the cabin are what lives in the cabin.
Same with us, seems to be the most convenient to me. Nothing comes out until we need it.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:13 PM   #14

2015 Yamaha YZ250

2005 CRF250R with a 1997 KX500 motor.

Other than that nomral tables and junk.
1320Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel