Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyt-parent
We are newbies at this, RVing full time now for almost a year. Being 'anal retentive' (as my wife likes to describe me), before we even started, I downloaded arrival and departure checklists from a web site geared to teaching you all about RVing. They were very detailed lists for both Class A's, TT and 5th Wheels, listing everything from the mundane (close flapper valve on microwave vent), to the critical (unhook shore power and store cord). Over time, they have been tailored to our particular rig. The procedures are almost second nature now, but even after a year, we still follow the checklist religiously when arriving and departing. I am sure we look silly out there, my wife with the clip board, reading off each step and me going 'done' or 'oops, forgot that', but we know that when we set off, we are confident that nothing has been forgotton.
I am also interested in this checklist
Tsronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #16

New Horizons Owners Club
For those interested, here is the link to the Changin' Gears website with the original checklists that I used to tailor our own version:
RV Checklists
greyt-parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:37 AM   #17

Hi

I had the one on the drivers side fall down on the road while I was running along at 60 mph. quite exciting.

Just one more example of the poor quality and production techniques of the manufacturer that built this lemon I have.

3665RE
Old 07-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #18

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyt-parent View Post
For those interested, here is the link to the Changin' Gears website with the original checklists that I used to tailor our own version:
RV Checklists
Finally Here are our customized versions for our 5th wheel.
Attached Files
File Type: doc RV Arrival and Setup Checklist Trailers.doc (55.5 KB, 99 views)
File Type: doc RV Departure Checklist Trailers.doc (54.0 KB, 88 views)
greyt-parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #19

I'd say a little physical damage is nothing compared to getting hurt or killed. There have been members that I've read about where this has happened.
Just keeping things in perspective.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #20

Sorry you had an incident. I agree to be thankful no one was hurt. You can fix trailers.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unhappy Stupid things

This didn’t take me long to remember as it just happened the a few weeks ago, funny to me now but sure wasn’t at the time.
We Had just got our new to us fifth wheel of the lot and came straight over to the resort across the street, so needless to say not too familiar with it
Wife and I get it parked in a spot (She ) liked open up all the dam cargo bays clipem to the side get all our gear out carpet jack cranks chairs blah blah got er all leveled.
Feeling proud as hell. lots of fellow rvers in sites beside and across from us going about their business. The wife says to me are ya ready to put the slides out? Kids are hot getting cranky, just about I replied ya I got this, went in the trailer put the bunk slide out, felt pretty good about that. Moved up to the big dining room slide got that out ,chest is popping out a bit now this is starting to look like a house, this is what it’s all about, have one more slide to go out ,I call it the work bench up top there, I get that one going almost done and kaboom smash bang ,what the hell ! I know there was nothing on that side of the trailer some shrubs maybe, wife and kids are like OH My God Dad! I said oh my god what, I go around the side of the trailer and here it is my cargo bay hatch all bent to crap and I remember saying to myself these little bird beak clips never hold these big doors open, well they held that one open to the point of bending it in half anyway have to remember slides ,slides ,slides remember to look before ya put on a show for everybody, of course my excuse to the wife was a poor dam design, needless to say gas shocks are going on that door so as it only goes up half way.

Warren & Amy
sometimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
I learned to use the truck lanes at toll booths or don't worry about the E-Z Pass light being activated while driving through the booth. Nothing like dodging traffic picking up my right side mirror and the awning brackets.
cappelte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
I can safely say the only thing "bad" I did while RVing is left the battery charger connected to the battery on the tongue driving 8 miles from the state park to home.
I started camping when I was 16 and had a pop up camper, moved to a TT, now I have a 5th wheel, and at 23, never had any accidents. Never bent anything, dented anything. (knock on wood ***)
My TT that I had last year, I had a limb fall down and hit the side of the TT and make a dent, but that is nature and there was NOTHING I could have done about that, it was parked where it always is, and my 5th wheel I have no, same spot.

Now if you want to talk about my neighbor? Thats a different story lol. went from a pop up to a HTT. it's a little wider, he JUST about clipped an orange construction barrel with the awning. He has left his steps out while traveling. What else hmm. I'll get back to you.
But I know something is bound to happen, I am not perfect. close, but not 100%, and I will have a mishap sometime or another, but if everything went perect, how boring would that be.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #24

Heartland RV Club
On our last rig ,I upgraded the tv to a flat screen,I wanted to see if the new Jack antenna was any better than the crank up that came with the RV, I just didn't think I would need one that soon. It's amazing how much less clearance you have with the antenna up

Wayne
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #25
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTblc View Post
I can safely say the only thing "bad" I did while RVing is left the battery charger connected to the battery on the tongue driving 8 miles from the state park to home.
I started camping when I was 16 and had a pop up camper, moved to a TT, now I have a 5th wheel, and at 23, never had any accidents. Never bent anything, dented anything. (knock on wood ***)
My TT that I had last year, I had a limb fall down and hit the side of the TT and make a dent, but that is nature and there was NOTHING I could have done about that, it was parked where it always is, and my 5th wheel I have no, same spot.

Now if you want to talk about my neighbor? Thats a different story lol. went from a pop up to a HTT. it's a little wider, he JUST about clipped an orange construction barrel with the awning. He has left his steps out while traveling. What else hmm. I'll get back to you.
But I know something is bound to happen, I am not perfect. close, but not 100%, and I will have a mishap sometime or another, but if everything went perect, how boring would that be.
You have cast your first stone!

Can you hear the clock? It just started ticking LOL.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #26

I backed in and lifted my rig a little. then forgot to raise the legs. As I pulled out, I thought, that is a strange new sound. Still kept moving then came the speed bump. Luckily only slight damage to the extensions as I was going slow trying to analyze the strange scuffing noise.
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #27

Lost an awning once in a downpour. I had the awning tilted like crazy and had no idea it was at risk but it collected a deluge in a matter of minutes and buckled. In our new 5th wheel, I was opening the dining/sofa slide and caught a linen closet door that was just barely open. It was merely unlatched but the clearance is slim there. I was able to straighten the hinges and get it back to 100% new looking. I've been camping for many years, so I don't feel too badly. Unexpected stuff happen; sometimes there is an incident you couldn't imagine or prepare for. I agree with other posters about hitching and unhitching - it is best to do it alone unless you are able to tune out distractions.
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyt-parent
RV Checklists
Thank you for the checklist, a lot of these things I probably would have missed (take them for granted or something like checking drawers and cupboards) and that's probably where my incident would have happened.

Printing checklists now and keeping in the trailer.
Corey9212 is offline   Reply With Quote