Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #1

What was your lesson learned?

I was supposed to go camping with the fam today. Got the rig loaded and hooked up to the truck. Had excited kids waiting patient yet anxiously to leave. I told my son to raise the landing gear on the trailer and the truck and trailer started to roll backwards as pressure was released off the landing gears. I was able to get it stopped before it hit something, but the left landing gear bent pretty bad in the process. Why did this happen you ask? I left the truck in reverse when I backed it into the hitch and both took off on us once the gear started to come up. Trailer was dead in the water. Couldn't raise the gear to tow it to a shop so I had to call a heavy wrecker to come get it. Nothing like dashing the hopes of camping for your kids as they watched this happen. Now it will be 2-3 weeks before I get my rig back. What an expensive lesson and epic failure on my part.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Don't feel as though you are the only one to make an error. You just joined the same club as most of us.

I think disappointing the kids feels worse than the act. Thankfully no one was injured and I would hazard to guess you won't let that one happen again.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #3

Well just the other day I pulled out with trailer wire connected. Fist time in my 30+ years of pulling trailers. Messed up my trailer connectors
Old 07-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Down at Lazydays a couple of years back, we watched a couple pull out with the landing gear still down. Bent both legs back. They kept going towards the office area, don't know how far they made it after they got out of eyesight. I tried yelling but they had the windows up.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #5

Wow.. Bummer. Glad you did not suffer any furhter damage. The kids must have been so disappointed. When things like this happen, I like to think maybe it spared you from something worse on the road. Delay's even expensive ones can sometimes save a life. Let's hope the universe was looking out for you...although I am sure you would have preferred a non-expense delay.... Hope you get your rig back soon. Let us know about your next trip. I am sure the truck will be put back into park and the landing gear will be up.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Stuff happens. Two years ago a tree along my driveway jumped out and got my roof. Wasn't much damage--execpt maybe to my eago but that tree paid dearly for it and became firewood. Things are going to happen and all you can do is learn from it and move on. It could have been worse and at least no one was hurt. I always try to look at it as things will be better tomorrow. I do feel your pain of missing a camping trip but you always have tomorrow.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I learned not to pull a 34 foot MH into a little town gas station.
The pump protection posts smacked me and knocked my finder flair off.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:10 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Why it's best to ask all the munchkins to go inside so you can concentrate on the PROCESS and nothing else

Had someone "help" me once with my camp shutdown and I had to stop and go inside to wait him out so I wouldn't miss any steps...

(already did my one bad blunder and not looking for number two any time soon )
Old 07-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #9

If you sight down my street, my street light pole is the only one that's 2.5 off vertical. You'd have to know what you were looking for to see any damage on my 5er. Those baby buggy bumpers saved it from any real damage. The light pole now has a racing strip on one side.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
Why it's best to ask all the munchkins to go inside so you can concentrate on the PROCESS and nothing else

Had someone "help" me once with my camp shutdown and I had to stop and go inside to wait him out so I wouldn't miss any steps...

(already did my one bad blunder and not looking for number two any time soon )
I will second that motion and add the DW as well. Leaving a campground a few weeks ago, the DW prepped it to roll while i did the jacks and landing gear. A guy stopped me on the way out (was in a slight left bending drive the whole way) and told us the stairs were down and door was open. I just looked at the DW and told her she was fired. She still preps but i check it over. No damage but lesson learned.
Beausdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #11

New Horizons Owners Club
We are newbies at this, RVing full time now for almost a year. Being 'anal retentive' (as my wife likes to describe me), before we even started, I downloaded arrival and departure checklists from a web site geared to teaching you all about RVing. They were very detailed lists for both Class A's, TT and 5th Wheels, listing everything from the mundane (close flapper valve on microwave vent), to the critical (unhook shore power and store cord). Over time, they have been tailored to our particular rig. The procedures are almost second nature now, but even after a year, we still follow the checklist religiously when arriving and departing. I am sure we look silly out there, my wife with the clip board, reading off each step and me going 'done' or 'oops, forgot that', but we know that when we set off, we are confident that nothing has been forgotton.
greyt-parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyt-parent
We are newbies at this, RVing full time now for almost a year. Being 'anal retentive' (as my wife likes to describe me), before we even started, I downloaded arrival and departure checklists from a web site geared to teaching you all about RVing. They were very detailed lists for both Class A's, TT and 5th Wheels, listing everything from the mundane (close flapper valve on microwave vent), to the critical (unhook shore power and store cord). Over time, they have been tailored to our particular rig. The procedures are almost second nature now, but even after a year, we still follow the checklist religiously when arriving and departing. I am sure we look silly out there, my wife with the clip board, reading off each step and me going 'done' or 'oops, forgot that', but we know that when we set off, we are confident that nothing has been forgotton.
Do you have a link to that check list? I've been looking for one for my fiver. That way everything is covered.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #13

Well I have to say that the disappointment on my kids faces is was made this event the worst. They had really been looking forward to going on this trip too. Fortunately there are other trips in the future for us after the rig gets fixed. I would also like to know a link to a checklist as well. That might help save future costly embarrassments and disappointed kids.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me put it this way.. To slightly paraphrase the Holy Bible passage:

Let he who is without dents cast the first laugh.

Notice nobody laughing? Yup, we have all done somethign stupid at one time or another.

Could be worse... I remember some years back when State Police often had some Fords that liked to jump out of park into Reverse. I'm serious, Ford had to put out a recall on them Watching the Trooper chase his ride down the freeway backwards, Great fun. (Only back then I did not have cameras to watch with).