Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2016, 07:52 AM   #1

What/Where is Level?

There was a post recently about someone asking about needing to reset their auto-level and it brought about something I had thought about off and on.

Over the years we have had 4 trailers, the first 3 were bumper pull and our current is a 5th wheel with the Lippert 6-point auto level. Don’t get me wrong I love the auto-level and use it every time we setup.

Here’s my question; What and/or where is level in/on a RV no matter what the configuration?

Of the 4 trailers we have had in each one I can pick someplace like a door way or a counter top or the inside of the fridge or the stairway or the frame or the steps on and on then level off of that accurately then I can move around the trailer and most of the other locations whether it be front to back and/or left to right do not show the trailer to be level.

I guess the question is pretty much rhetorical, it’s just an observation on how well built trailers are in this day and age.

To each his own.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2016, 08:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
There was a post recently about someone asking about needing to reset their auto-level and it brought about something I had thought about off and on.

Over the years we have had 4 trailers, the first 3 were bumper pull and our current is a 5th wheel with the Lippert 6-point auto level. Don’t get me wrong I love the auto-level and use it every time we setup.

Here’s my question; What and/or where is level in/on a RV no matter what the configuration?

Of the 4 trailers we have had in each one I can pick someplace like a door way or a counter top or the inside of the fridge or the stairway or the frame or the steps on and on then level off of that accurately then I can move around the trailer and most of the other locations whether it be front to back and/or left to right do not show the trailer to be level.

I guess the question is pretty much rhetorical, it’s just an observation on how well built trailers are in this day and age.

To each his own.
On most units the refrigerator is used to determine "level". On our motorhome the refrigerator is setup to be parallel to the floor in both directions. Then the leveling system is calibrated. When properly leveled you can set a level on the floor of the freezer compartment and it will read level in both the crosswise and longitudinal directions.

Keep in mind most leveling systems measure to within 1/10 of a degree. While the display may show the house being slightly out of level it' so close you'll never notice. The refrigerator (gas absorption style) can be out of level up to 3* before performance and longevity will be compromised.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We like to have the stove level. Fridge is very close when that happens.

IMO the units could have been manufactured pretty square and level but that was likely compromised the first, second or third time the unit is driven across a curb to access a service station or driven down a rough road.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:30 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hickerdogs is correct. The center of the floor of the freezer compartment is the level spot.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #5

we have a mid bath and use the door swing to determine what's 'really' level when parked. though the LCI level panel will give you arrows and a green light when it thinks you are level, and a manual level set on the floor might also tell you, the bathroom door swing(or lack thereof) is what we've found that actually makes us FEEL the most level.

gravity is a great indicator of level...

so I use the LCI panel to initially level, then watch the 'door swing' to make minor corrections... it works well and you don't have to worry about 'where' you set a physical level device.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I use 2 indicators of level, one the bathroom doors, 1 on each side of the hall way. How do they stay when opened or do the keep drifting in one direction or the other? Two I use a torpedo level inside the Convention oven to see how level it is, DW just hates it if her cakes are not perfectly even when they com out of the oven.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
there are of course several different reference points, but honestly if you don't use the refrigerator as the level point, assuming it is a gas absorption refrigerator, you are asking for a significant repair costs down the line. I recently replaced the refrigerator in my Motorhome and it was $4000. Now it is a bit more complicated in a MH but it would not be inexpensive. If you need other things level (Stove, Doors, etc) I would recommend leveling to those but then adjusting or shimming the refrigerator so it is also level when the trailer is leveled to your desire. You should only need to do it once.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:03 AM   #8

We have been manually leveling for 9 years--center of floor area in front of fridge is where we set the 3' level. First, l to r with wood blocks, center of bubble--double check with bathroom door swing. If ok, then unhitch and finish front to rear, using the level. Again, double-check with bath door. Fridge still working at 11 yrs old, Dometic SxS. Need it to work for a couple more years...
Also, we dry-camp overnight on the road many times, and somewhat unlevel front-to-rear, as it is limited by how high we can raise the trailer while hitched. We always do the l to r with boards, tho, even if hitched.
The fridge needs to be near level, tho it seems that ours has done well not level for 8-10hr periods.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
We have been manually leveling for 9 years--center of floor area in front of fridge is where we set the 3' level. First, l to r with wood blocks, center of bubble--double check with bathroom door swing. If ok, then unhitch and finish front to rear, using the level. Again, double-check with bath door. Fridge still working at 11 yrs old, Dometic SxS. Need it to work for a couple more years...
Also, we dry-camp overnight on the road many times, and somewhat unlevel front-to-rear, as it is limited by how high we can raise the trailer while hitched. We always do the l to r with boards, tho, even if hitched.
The fridge needs to be near level, tho it seems that ours has done well not level for 8-10hr periods.
Joe
We used to do the same with the blocks. Triple axle made blocks a PIA. Then a fellow suggested we take a trenching shovel and dig small holes for the high side. Works like a charm. Easy to do and helps steady the trailer. Always make sure we filled the holes in when we left.

Obviously does not work on asphalt or concrete parking areas.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:36 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I check two places. Floor between the front seats. The floor in the bath / bedroom entry.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #11

I have always used the freezer as the reference. Once there then checked other easier points.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
To each his own.
DKRITTER
For any RV with an absorption refrigerator, "level" is when the floor of the freezer compartment in the refrigerator is "dead level"...(the more an absorption refrigerator is operated "out of level" the shorter the life span of the refrigerator).
Mel
'96 Safari, 20 year old, (146k mile), Norcold 682 fridge
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #13

Once you determine where level is according to the freezer, you can look for other easiee places to check. I check on top of my front storage compartment - it's convenient and I checked it's accurate. I also notice the bathroom door swings when not level. Stuff doesn't roll on the kitchen counter when level... there are a number of places you can check once you establish a base line.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote