Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #43

Safety

[QUOTE=JIMNLIN;1180352]I'll disagree on your comment about FMCSA/government/state rights as I remember how it was before the feds brought/forced every state under a centralized size and weight regulation program. In fact the feds are still working on some states trucking regulation programs. before FMCSA we pretty much hauled what we wanted in some states but others were so restrictive that trucking was getting to costly to operate in that state.
QUOTE]

This has nothing to do with my post. My post was trying to point out that while the Federal regulation and the Federal regulators donít and are not allowed to put rules, regulations and laws in effect that are the states responsibility and are prohibited from doing so by the separation of federal and state powers.

The Federal regulators will puff up their chest and state they donít regulate certain item when in reality they are requiring the states to do this before they can get the federal funds.

Remember the greatest extortionist since the beginning of time is the U. S. Government.

The real point is the continued abuse of the present regulations may well result in a grant qualification requiring the states to put rules, regulations or laws in effect to require the RV owner to follow very similar requirements as the commercial vehicle.

Remember when trucks were not restricted to lanes on three lane highways? Remember how the truck drivers abused this lack of restriction? Now think about that and take a look at how many states now post lane restrictions on trucks.

The point I am tying to make is if the RV community continues to display a disregard for the limitations imposed by the manufacture of the truck and trailer we will soon have regulations requiring driver certification and inspection, weighing of RV just as the commercial vehicles have.

All of that aside the truck drivers spend their workweek on the highway. They see more accidents or damaged RV than just about any of us would because we make our living doing something else and drive only for personal use. When the trucking industry becomes concerned by what they see they do have a powerful lobby.

The bottom line is I strongly encourage the RV community to adhere to the limitations stated by the manufacturer. If for no other reason than your own safety.

3665RE

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #44

Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
Ok I have to ask. If the MFGR states the max combined weight is 23500 does this mean they have to be able to emergency stop the vehicle without assistance from the towed vehicle???? I have read of some cases of a cord disconnect resulting in an accident. Especially on descents. General opinions on forums I have been on indicated the tow vehicle only has partial responsiblility to brake combined weight. In other words brake their own weight and provide controllers to brake the towed vehicle.
Hi

There isn’t a requirement for the towing vehicle to be able to stop in any given distance with out the use of trailer brakes. All states have a requirement for brakes on trailer over a certain weight. It is normally around 2,000 lbs.

It is the owner or operators responsibility to maintain the vehicle combination in a safe manner. If your combination unit has a frequency of the electric source for your trailer brake coming unplugged then it is you reasonability to have it repaired so this doesn’t happen.

Even the 18-wheeler at 80,000 lbs doesn’t have a tractor capable of stopping the combination unit in any given distance with out brakes on the trailer.

3665RE

Old 05-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3665RE View Post
Hi

There isnít a requirement for the towing vehicle to be able to stop in any given distance with out the use of trailer brakes. All states have a requirement for brakes on trailer over a certain weight. It is normally around 2,000 lbs.

3665RE

Thanks a bunch. This just confirms what the majority for forum members told me. I wish It was as easy to just "fix it" It is not. I aways took additional measures to secure mine because I was aware of the problem but some don't. The worse case I have heard about was people jumping out of the tow vehicles on descent. Maybe 5th wheelers reading this thread will double check prior to descending steep grades. Thanks again
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #46

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Real simple, WEIGHT.