Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #1

whats this key switch for

hi,
on my 1988 London aire 5er I have a key switch on the back of the rv above the bumper center of the back that has wires going to in on the inside(I pulled of the wall in side to see it) and are not going to anything other than a hot sorce. 1 of the 4 wires are hot 1 is ground, when you turn the key one way it makes another wire hot and when you turn the key the other way it makes the last wire a ground, the switch is momentary so it goes back to center on its own when you let off. what was this for, the wires were just rolled up and taped up inside the wall.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
That don't seem like it came from the factory like that, if you got this unit from a seller maybe they had a gennie on the back and had the key switch wired in to crank it and then remove the key to prevent someone from starting it just a idea is there some sort of mounting or added on platform

Old 03-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #3

well the rv came with a gen on it up front below the bedroom, the wireing seems to be original judging by the connections and wire used matches everything else throughout the entire rv(I am remodeling it so the is currently no interior in the rv) I seen another rv on line one year newer on the web with the same switch but also another rv without it. so I have no clue, I may have went to some kind of something inside because not far from the switch on a interior wall the was a piece of wood blocking a hole in the paneling were something used to be. the wires were taped up behind it...
Old 03-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #4

Sounds like it is wired to reverse polarity for a motor that may be used for rear jacks, turn switch one way for up and the other way down. Don't know why they would use a key switch thou.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thats a good idea too maybe to make the jacks secure. Well it's a good switch to use it for something
Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #6

to my luck I have all the owners manuals that came with the rv, even the order sheet and purchased option sheet from when the first owner bought it new... to my unfortunate luck there are no information on this switch at all. the rv did not come with electric rear jacks only manual stable jacks and electric fifth wheel jacks, the fact that the wires stop at the rear near the switch makes me believe that they were for something back there but what?
Old 03-22-2013, 04:50 AM   #7

The fact that the switch returns to the center position on it's own and its switching polarity from right to left (up/down) makes me believe it existed for some sort of power levelers/stabilizer for the rear - perhaps as an add-on option that yours never obtained but the factory wired for, or for a system that a previous owner may have installed that eventually quit working and someone else put manual ones back on.

I'm with brewurown on this.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree too
Old 03-22-2013, 07:04 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2 James.
Looking at this Brochure there sure are allot of options in it also down the bottom of it there are pictures and Newmar in older models use to hide tires in the bumper that pulled out.
Does your bumper slide out with tire and storage space when you operate switch, maybe a latch release, LA's had all kinds of features.
We have a Newmar 5th wheel group, in the Newmar forum, that maybe a sleep, that may have a answer for you if I didn't answer question.

Here is the oldest Owners Guide that we have a 1999 for LA and if you read to the end will find they had a option, as someone mentioned, for electric stabilizer jacks which your 5th may have been wired for.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #10

Does your bumper slide out with tire and storage space when you operate switch, maybe a latch release, LA's had all kinds of features.

yes my bumper does slide out, it has its own key latch for it, the ideal about the option that was not used but wired for makes good sence.. in the manual I have there was an electric stable jack option so that may be what it was for
Old 03-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #11

A quick call to Newmar would help you there. They would know if it was Company installed or not. They are very helpful over the phone.

Al, Michigan. 2003 Mountain Aire.