Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #1

What's your bed clearance?

I have a 2013 3500 Sierra long bed dually and a 2015 primetime spartan. I hadn't measured the bedside clearance to the bottom of the 5th wheel but it seemed enough, well I was wrong. I was pulling into the gas station by our house to fuel up and heard a nasty crunch, the bed and camper hit. I measured while I was fueling up and have 6.5" on one side and 7" on the other, that's seems like a lot to me. The turn/slope into the gas station didn't seem that bad, small enough that I didn't even watch the clearance while I made the turn. The worst part is that I had just picked up the camper from getting the front cap replaced because of the paint fading.

So how much clearance do you have?
ChadSmeltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #2

What's your bed clearance?

I would have thought you were good. Mine is 5.5-6.0

Etrailer recommendations (diagram): https://www.etrailer.com/question-135429.html
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:24 PM   #3

I have a 2018 Chevy 3500HD long bed with 6" clearance and haven't hit the bed rails yet but have come close.....I was told 6 inches is the norm but I'm considering raising it up an inch. My 5th just sits just slightly high from level so another inch shouldn't be an issue.
jw60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #4

Always try to crab up a driveway that has a fairly good water run off area....gutter...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:52 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw60 View Post
I have a 2018 Chevy 3500HD long bed with 6" clearance and haven't hit the bed rails yet but have come close.....I was told 6 inches is the norm but I'm considering raising it up an inch. My 5th just sits just slightly high from level so another inch shouldn't be an issue.
If you raise it to get more clearance above the bed rails, you are raising total height of trailer, inching toward that 13'6" limit? Correct?
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:21 AM   #6

After I had to replace my pin box and hitch I ended up going from 6.5 to 9.5 to 10 inches. The nose high situation resulted in significant pin weight increase and 1500lbs more weight on the rear trailer axle vs front. This is even noticeable on the tpms when underway as the rear tires run slightly higher. Myself I find getting level is probably more important than more bed rail clearance. So far I’ve always been able to find an angle where I can make things not hit, but there isn’t anything I can do really for being un-level as I’m already pushing the 13.6 foot height limit.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
If you raise it to get more clearance above the bed rails, you are raising total height of trailer, inching toward that 13'6" limit? Correct?

Yes that's correct.....I'm only at 11'-7" so plenty of room to mess in that regard. As mentioned I'm right at 6" BR clearance and no issues of hitting but I've gotten very close though. My 5th sits just a hair high at the front and the rear axxle/tires look fine but maybe going another inch will screw with it, need to make the adjustment and see how it looks.
jw60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
Yes indeed.
It can be skill and an art-form. With a 2" frame riser, several adjustments of the hitch and pin box, We're level and been able to arrive at 6>" clearance @ 13'4.5" OAH. Your axle loading requires weighing individually, and nose high will definitely load the rear tandem axle. (It can be done on a CAT Scale, with patience) Pin high can be a detriment to your equipment if there is no reserve capacity.These behemoths require constant attention, and we won't hesitate to pass up any road surface(s) that looks too irregular.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #9

I have 7" bedrail clearance
5vr is level when hitched and measures 13'4"

With the 4-way head on my hitch I have come close to 'kissing' but that is from being at extreme angles....truck pointed up and going left/trailer tail end pointed up and going right

Usually don't get close if one goes sideways across dips/slopes etc
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
...With a 2" frame riser...

Did you use correct trak to raise it 2in?
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
Did you use correct trak to raise it 2in?
No, it was done by MorRyde using 2" square tubing spacing welded between the frame and the MorRyde I S components (Torsion type axles).
They do a 3" version also due to all the modern high sitting trucks.
They also lower the leveling jacks the same amount, and extend the brake components.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote