Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #15
Originally Posted by JeffinTD View Post
Yeah, those do make a mess when you take them apart. If you disassemble and regrease by hand, though, you don't need to fill the entire hub.

I just like the idea of getting all the old grease out. Pumping on the fitting seems to just push a ribbon of fresh grease through all the old stuff.
I agree IF you are not going to use the Easy-Lube function. If this is the way you are going to lube the bearings, you might want to use plugs instead of the Zerk so there will be no mistake.

Dexter does recommend a 12,000 mile/yearly bearing inspection so - what's the use of Easy Lubes unless you just like to grease things up

Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #16
Yeah, if I owned an easy lube equipped rig, I'd probably pull the zirk fittings and use a normal axle cap...

Dodge 4x4 dually quad cab, 6 speed with jake, B&W Companion, Brakesmart.Patio Hauler 5th wheel Toyhauler, Foreman, Rincon, R1200GSA, Roadking.
JeffinTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #17
Reguarding the removal of old grease from wheel bearings I use MEK which can be found any place paint is sold. Pour enough into a coffe can to cover bearing(s) and replace can lid. swirl the can in a circular motion and the grease will disolve out of the bearing. Note that MEK evaporates quickly so keep can closed when not using. Also wear protective gloves to protect hands. Lay clean bearings out to dry before relubing. have used this method for years without damage to bearings. Do not get on painted surfaces.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #18
That's an interesting idea. I'd suggest avoiding using gasoline just because of its low flash point (like -45f). I usually use kerosene or diesel (100f and 143f) but have to blow them dry with a compressor (don't let the bearing spin while blowing it out).

Anyway Methyl Ethyl Ketone flash point is like 25f, which I would think would be a good spot for a solvent for safety and fast drying.

I use one of those black or green coated canning boilers. It fits parts bigger than wheel bearings that I clean sometimes, and it is metal and has a lid (in case of fire). Being a dark color, if I have something really grimy I'll leave it out in the sun with the lid on and let it get warm and soak.
Dodge 4x4 dually quad cab, 6 speed with jake, B&W Companion, Brakesmart.Patio Hauler 5th wheel Toyhauler, Foreman, Rincon, R1200GSA, Roadking.
JeffinTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #19
Originally Posted by scottsandy View Post
Thanks for all the great info on wheel bearing maintenance.
I did find out what we have for bearings, the are "easy-lube"
I lifted the wheels so I could spin the wheel while pumping in grease, and kept pumping till I saw grease comming out the front as per the instructions. some needed a lot of pumpin, 10-12 pumps on a standard size gun. so I hope I am all set. I will check them out down in florida to check for wear and tear on the brakes. should be ok as the dealer said there are brand new
Greasing a 12k miles or 12 month still required for easy lube. Here is company statement.

The EZ Lube bearing system was designed for two things. One was to allow
boat trailer owners a way to add some grease after immersion in water and
the other for other trailer owners to add grease without tearing everything
down in between the required yearly inspection and repack. I was service
manager for Dexter before the EZ Lube was developed and what I found is that
most trailer owners do not perform the required axle maintenance. By having
EZ Lube the owner now has a way to get grease to the bearings that he
normally would let go dry. The EZ Lube has helped many owners avoid bearing
failures by giving them an easy way to add grease. Should they still
teardown the axle and inspect and re-grease the bearings-absolutely. We
recommend this in our service manual. Will every owner do this? 26 years in
the business tells me that most won't. I have attached the section from our
service manual that addresses EZ Lube and our maintenance schedule.

Rick Kapsa | Product Manager
Dexter Axle - Company Headquarters
Ecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #20
I worked several years in a plant that used MEK. Ours was a mixture with Acetone. Because of the flamability, whe were required to use safety cans for transport and use. Please be very careful when using MEK as a solvent. I would never let MEK sit outside in the sun to warm up. Just my HO,.
2014 Wildwood 27RKSS 2004 Nissan Titan Pilot Steve
Co-Pilot Marlene Furry Four Leg children: Fancy Lab/Chow, LB Little Bit, Maltese, Rocky, Border Terrier
StStg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is information on both major axle MFG's.
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #22
I have always repacked, inspected, replaced and repacked my brakes/wheel bearings myself until the last few years. At age 75, down is farther and up is getting worse every year. Not only that the wheel and tire assembly was getting heaver. Just like my old Navy uniform has shrunk while hanging in the closet.
I found a local utility/farm trailer manufacture (not a RV dealer) that I trust and now I have them go over my brakes every year. They are more expensive than doing it myself however, I find that it is MUCH easier on the body.
May you have following seas and fair winds!
2005 Dodge, 2500, auto, 2wd. Pac brake PRXB. CB, Max Brake Brake Controller, Rhino Lining, Aero 60 gal. replacement tank.
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #23
Richard- being of the same age I know what you are saying and feeling. I still do my 5er every year (triple axle) and my flat bed (tandem axles w/duals). Been considering a hyd lift dolly for under the wheels for R and R. For general info when relacing the wheels don't forget to properly torque the bearings preload

RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote