Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to scottsandy
wheel bearing maintenance

how many of you do your own wheel mantenance on your 5th wheels?
we bought a 2006 cardinal LE last year and I want to know what is the sugested wheel bearing maintence for this
scottsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsandy View Post
how many of you do your own wheel maintenance on your 5th wheels? We bought a 2006 cardinal LE last year and I want to know what is the suggested wheel bearing maintenance for this
Most likely you have Dexter Axles or other primary supplier of axles for towables. I would find out exactly what axle I had and then go to the manufacturer's website. They should be able to give you a breakout on the parts and have instructions about wheel bearing maintenance. If your rig has lots of miles, it might be time to do the maintenance. IMHO, a 2006 fiver shouldn't need too much maintenance wheel bearing wise.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #3

If you have servicable wheel bearings (not never lube), I always packed mine at the beginning of the season. I usually tow 12-15000 miles a year though, if you do a lot less maybe strecth out to every 2 years. Don't forget that you also need to be inspecting the other components and adjusting the brakes as well.
Larry
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #4

My Kountryaire 5er has Dexter 7K triple axles with electric 12-i/4 X 4 drum brakes. I repack the bearing each season using a grease with a 500 degree drop point and replace the seals. I disassemble the brake shoes/conponets/clean/inspect and reassemble lubing pivit points/rub points and check magnets for holding power. Shoes can be pre=adjusted thru the use of a brake drum caliper
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #5

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/...edule_9-10.pdf recommends servicing bearings and inspecting brakes every 12,000 miles or 12 months. Here is a how-to for servicing axle/wheel bearings: Servicing trailer bearings - 1
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #6

Most say to repack every 12k miles. I personaly think that is a bit often since the front bearings on a 2WD truck are only done in the area of 40k. That beimg said, pulling drums to eyeball the brakes at 12k is a very worthwhile idea. Just keep a spare set of seals, that way Murphy says you will never need one. The one thing to remember if you are doing bearings is to use the same brand of grease as last time unless you remove every bit of the old product. Two different brands can do strange things when mixed together in a hot loaded bearing.
Art.
Rvpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:44 AM   #7

I tore my 09 down after one season and to my suprise an outer bearing on one axle was in bad shape and i was glad i checked them because the factory uses the cheapest bearings from china they can find, worth while replacing the whole works with TK or something north american made imho
Old 12-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #8

Last time I looked, Timken bearing are made in Japan, and seem to be high quality.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Last time I looked, Timken bearing are made in Japan, and seem to be high quality.
Timken bearings are made in 27 different countries. With my current order for the 4 outers from Rock Auto Parts, I can only hope that they were made almost anywhere but China where the OEMs originated
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhauler View Post
I repack the bearing each season using a grease with a 500 degree drop point and replace the seals. I disassemble the brake shoes/components/clean/inspect and reassemble lubing pivot points/rub points and check magnets for holding power. Shoes can be pre=adjusted thru the use of a brake drum caliper
Same here.
I remove, inspect & repack my trailer wheel bearings every 12 months. Most manufacturers recommend 12,000 miles or 12 months.

My company(self employed) performs RV & Trailer maintenance and recommend the same(wheel bearings & brakes).
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to scottsandy
Thanks for all the great info on wheel bearing maintenance.
I did find out what we have for bearings, the are "easy-lube"
I lifted the wheels so I could spin the wheel while pumping in grease, and kept pumping till I saw grease comming out the front as per the instructions. some needed a lot of pumpin, 10-12 pumps on a standard size gun. so I hope I am all set. I will check them out down in florida to check for wear and tear on the brakes. should be ok as the dealer said there are brand new
scottsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #12

Personally, even if a trailer has the easy lube setup, I prefer to pull the drum so I can clean and inspect the brakes, and inspect the wheel bearings when I clean and repack them.

Trailer bearings tend to build up moisture more than the front bearings on vehicles, I think because trailers are more likely to sit for long periods.

Both Dexter and Al-Ko have excellent service manuals downloadable for free.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:11 AM   #13
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinTD View Post
Personally, even if a trailer has the easy lube setup, I prefer to pull the drum so I can clean and inspect the brakes, and inspect the wheel bearings when I clean and repack them.

Trailer bearings tend to build up moisture more than the front bearings on vehicles, I think because trailers are more likely to sit for long periods.

Both Dexter and Al-Ko have excellent service manuals downloadable for free.
Not a problem if you feel that you need to inspect the Dexter Easy-Lubes, but be well advised to spread something under the assembly and have a roll of paper towels or rags handy as well as rubber gloves when you pull the drums - there is a LOT of grease and it drools. Then you will need 2-4 tubes of grease plus a one pound can to pre lube the cleaned bearing. Tractor Supply and WalMart have the recommended Mystic High Temp grease.

Additionally - the replacement bearings noted a couple of posts above arrived and are US made Timkens and are physically superior LOOKING vs the Chinese OEMs that Dexter supplied
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #14

Yeah, those do make a mess when you take them apart. If you disassemble and regrease by hand, though, you don't need to fill the entire hub.

I just like the idea of getting all the old grease out. Pumping on the fitting seems to just push a ribbon of fresh grease through all the old stuff.