Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #1

Wheel Bearings

Hello Folks,
I am curious about an issue I have. After returning from each trip my wife and I take, I notice grease lines on my wheels. The hubs tend to be a bit greasy as well. Is this from the bearings having too much grease or is this normal with all travel trailers and fifth wheels? I sure could use some advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #2

Either your hubs are getting warm & liquifying a bit of grease, thereby liberating it from the hub, or
you have oil bath hubs and the oil bath is over full, allowing it to spill a bit of 90 weight.
Betting its the former.
IIWMI'd have them repacked with fresh grease & professionally preloaded (this is generally done by feel, tho a really techy shop might have gauges). Perfect preload and that shouldn't happen. Overtight or loose & hubs will heat. the more grease lost the more heat will build up till you have a failure. I spun a bearing on a trailer hub once; its not an unrecoverable situation, but good maintenance is better. I've preloaded my hubs a time or three; keep tightening the hub nut while spinning the tire until the preload starts to exhibit braking pressure. Then manhandle the tire to make sure it is fully centered, spin to see its still getting slight braking from the preload, then back the hub nut off till the braking pressure releases. You want it free spinning w/no braking. Then cotter pin the castle nut & hit the road. Check it after 5-10 miles for heat. If its getting too hot to put your hand on, back off the castel nut another notch, re-road-test, repeat till it runs cool. After you've done this once or twice you get the feel for it.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is not a normal thing to happen. Mike had some good advice.

I'd also suggest using an IR gun to check the temperatures of each wheel every time you stop. If there is a brake dragging or some other issue you may notice quite a difference between wheel temperatures.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #4

We have Zerque fittings on our Trailer and i grease about every 1000 miles. it sounds to me like it is over greased. i have never heard of a Oil Bath on the Outside of an Axel, and the only ones i do know about are on the rear wheel Drive cars and truck and Motor Homes. i any one has one on the Hub and bearing end of the axel i would like to see a picture of it.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #5

if it is over heating, why is it on THE WHEELS, not THE WHEEL. i sounds like it is on most or all of them.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #6

Could be they were all repacked w/bad preload?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #7

I am seeing the same results on all 4 wheels. That is why I am curious about this. If it was only one then I would understand. Could it be that my brake controller is not adjusted correctly?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #8

From time to time I have had streaks show up on trailer wheels, usually after some type of service. Many shops will lube the studs, or use spray cleaner on them--either of these methods will end up as streaks on the wheels. Also, excess grease after packing the bearings will do the same. It shouldn't be too hard to remove a wheel and inspect the bearing cap to see if grease if leaking out around it. If you have the EZ Lube bearings (grease zerk under the cap) you may be using too much grease.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I would repack with a high temp grease such as Amsoil synthetic bearing grease..
Also check the hub temp after a run..

KE5FTF...Bob & Kathy
Bmaintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote