Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2016, 09:01 PM   #1

Wheel chock preference?

What type of wheel chocks do most folks prefer for their 5er? I've tried standard wheel chocks and the scissor type that go between the wheels and not sure which I prefer. Would love to hear the thoughts of others and what they use.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I use blocks made from stacked 2x4.

I find when parking on uneven ground a trick showed me by another fellow works very well. Generally concrete parking areas are level, it is gravel or unfinished spots that are not level. Instead of placing blocks under the low side to get the unit level side to side, take a track/trenching shovel and dig holes on the high side to level the trailer.

IMO this does a couple things. It keeps the trailer lower and because the wheels are sitting down in holes it makes the unit more stable.

Worked very well for me because the triple axle made it difficult to carry long enough boards to support all of the wheels.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #3

Evergreen Owners Club
I don't think he's asking about leveling blocks. I think he was looking for which method most prefer for chocking the wheels.

I have been using the cheap plastic chocks with my last tt, but just took delivery of our fifth wheel and have been thinking of using the scissor type chocks. We have the level up system but I think these would keep the 5ver from rocking back and forth.
powermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #4

Powermaker is correct. Currently using the standand, larger plastic chocks and have the 6 point leveling system too. I'm not 100% comfortable so far using the plastic chocks due to the weight of our new unit. I've used the scissor type with a previous unit, but let them go. Now thinking I want them back, but was hoping to hear from others about their preference and why.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #5

I like the between tires X-chocks to stop back/forth rocking with a wedge chock behind tires to stop rig from rolling away. (belt/suspenders approach

Regardless of type..........

Wheel chocks
FIRST on---------LAST off
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:11 PM   #6

We keep a couple of the large triangular recycled rubber models like found at loading docks. Can be found at Harbor Freight. I've added loops of bright orange para-cord I can see and grab easily, tween the tandems. Wide enough for the TV duals if needed on a grade too.
Store them easy to reach/stow in a milk crate, with the recycled rubber hosspads we use under the L-gear & jacks, in the TV bed.

Carbon Copy Old Biscuit
"Wheel chocks
FIRST on---------LAST off"

Safety First.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I like the between tires X-chocks to stop back/forth rocking with a wedge chock behind tires to stop rig from rolling away. (belt/suspenders approach

Regardless of type..........

Wheel chocks
FIRST on---------LAST off
Basically what I was thinking too. Do you find they work to stop the rocking?
Old 06-11-2016, 05:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
We keep a couple of the large triangular recycled rubber models like found at loading docks. Can be found at Harbor Freight. I've added loops of bright orange para-cord I can see and grab easily, tween the tandems. Wide enough for the TV duals if needed on a grade too.
Store them easy to reach/stow in a milk crate, with the recycled rubber hosspads we use under the L-gear & jacks, in the TV bed.

Carbon Copy Old Biscuit
"Wheel chocks
FIRST on---------LAST off"

Safety First.
I like the rubber ones too. I've seen them used with larger equipment. Do you have any problems with smell from the rubber? A few folks I talked with said the rubber ones can stink.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:22 AM   #9

We use the rubber ones to chock up aircraft at work, but I would still prefer the x chocks. Lighter, easier to store, use and work better. But either one used can't take out the movement from the springs.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:57 AM   #10

Years ago I went to the lumber yard next to the airport and surprise! They take a 6 X 6 X 6, cut it from corner to corner and drill a hole for a rope. I have been using this since about 1980. In my opinion, a chock is a chock, designed to not allow the trailer to roll away. The X-braces and the like are for stopping the shake...ALWAYS use a chock, not necessarily always the X-brace.

If you want some excitement, unhook your trailer and have it take off down the hill!

Oh - don't try to stop it, just get out of the way!

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:20 PM   #11

rubber fragrance ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
I like the rubber ones too. I've seen them used with larger equipment. Do you have any problems with smell from the rubber? A few folks I talked with said the rubber ones can stink.
That is very likely there could be an industrial odor when they're new. Especially if stored in a trunk or basement area. Mine are either outside between my tandem wheels, or in the bed of the tow vehicle. No worries.

Peace.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #12

I have worked with heavy equipment my whole life. the x chock or chalk and lock are the best thing you can use. they prevent movement in the rv and will hold if on a slight incline. if I need to put a wheel chalk down to prevent the rig from rolling I am parked in a place I shouldn't be
Old 06-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #13

Thanks for the input especially from the heavy equipment perspective. Never really questioned them before when we had a travel trailer about 1/2 or maybe even a third of the weight. I really questioned it when I had to leave it on a slight incline and even the big plastic ones that we have just seem somewhat light weight for 13-16k lbs.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:51 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tow a 14k pound 5th. I like to use both the heavy rubber blocks referred to above from Harbor Freight, etc. and the X chock types. I place the rubber chocks between the tandems as soon as I get the unit leveled and before disconnecting the truck. As soon as the truck is moved away I place the X chocks between the tandems to prevent any movement. I do not think it is good for the tires while hitching/unhitching to leave the X chocks in place. If the trailer moves any the steel may bite into the tire. I reverse the sequence while hitching again. This works well for me. I toss them into the back of the pickup and after a year they did not smell much, at first they stunk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote