Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2017, 02:41 PM   #1

Wheel locks

When I back into the lot the first thing I do is install the two wheel locks that go between the tires and you tighten them to the wheels with a wrench. The problem I'm having on more than one occasion is the locks fall off. Or they get so tight between the tires I almost can't take them off after I hook the 5th wheel to the truck when we are getting ready to leave. Why is this happening the lots are level. I am new to towing a trailer we have lived in a motor home for 5 years so I'm going through a learning curve.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2017, 04:16 PM   #2

What is happening is if they are installed before you put the jacks down the weight on the axles are more than after the jacks are down and the truck is unhooked. If you look at how far back the jacks are, that are now taking the pin weight, it has a lot of weight cantilevered over the jacks. That makes the axles lighter and changes the arch of the springs. The same is true backwards when hooking. The arch of the springs is possibly making the tires move closer to or further away from each other.
jtobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtobbe View Post
What is happening is if they are installed before you put the jacks down the weight on the axles are more than after the jacks are down and the truck is unhooked. If you look at how far back the jacks are, that are now taking the pin weight, it has a lot of weight cantilevered over the jacks. That makes the axles lighter and changes the arch of the springs. The same is true backwards when hooking. The arch of the springs is possibly making the tires move closer to or further away from each other.
Yup. I use RotoChoks (no longer manufactured but similar to other current between-the-tires products). If I install them before unhitching, I have to remember to either retighten (or occasionally loosen) them after leveling. Likewise, before hitching up, I have to do the reverse to avoid having a tough time removing the RotoChoks. Also, as tires cool, the chocks can loosen, requiring an adjustment.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #4

Like previous answers, you want to wait till you have unhooked and leveled the trailer before installing the wheel locks. I always "chock" both sides with a couple of slant cut 4x4's if you're worried about the trailer moving before you put in the wheel locks. by waiting you also give the tires time to cool down a bit and your locks will stay better.
Tightwadted is offline   Reply With Quote