Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #1

Location: Fulltimers from Eugene, Or - Now Somewhere on the Road-Currently Rio Grande Valley
Need your help...
We are pulling a 36RL Alpenlite 5th wheel. In preparation for our leg from San Cruces, New Mexico to San Antonio we noticed our left rear trailer tire was low... I pulled it into the sales lot next to our site and found we had 40lbs instead of the expected 110lbs.
We pulled the wheel and found that the wheel had a small leak... We swapped out the spare and headed for San Antonio.
We found these wheels were provided to Western RV by Tredit Tire and Wheel Company. I also discovered other Alpenlite owners have experienced the same problem and had their wheels replaced by Tredit.
Tredit is dragging their feet and feel they only want to replace the one wheel and not the batch.
Any suggestions on replacement wheels... we are running GoodYears LT235/85R16 Load range G.
I am nervous about the other wheels failing down the line..
Thanks,
Alpenliteman

2007 Duramax-Allison Tranny
Alpenliteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #2

Location: Fulltimers from Eugene, Or - Now Somewhere on the Road-Currently Rio Grande Valley
Need your help...
We are pulling a 36RL Alpenlite 5th wheel. In preparation for our leg from San Cruces, New Mexico to San Antonio we noticed our left rear trailer tire was low... I pulled it into the sales lot next to our site and found we had 40lbs instead of the expected 110lbs.
We pulled the wheel and found that the wheel had a small leak... We swapped out the spare and headed for San Antonio.
We found these wheels were provided to Western RV by Tredit Tire and Wheel Company. I also discovered other Alpenlite owners have experienced the same problem and had their wheels replaced by Tredit.
Tredit is dragging their feet and feel they only want to replace the one wheel and not the batch.
Any suggestions on replacement wheels... we are running GoodYears LT235/85R16 Load range G.
I am nervous about the other wheels failing down the line..
Thanks,
Alpenliteman

Old 11-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #3

Just curious, are the wheels the problem or the tires the problem? Did the other owners get them replaced within the warranty period? If the tires are the problem, how old are they? Are they what came on the camper? I would be surprised if the tire supplier would replace based on what "might" happen to 3 year old tires or wheels. My camper came with Carlisle tires on it that were made in mid 2004. One finally self-destructed about two weeks ago on a trip. Once home, decided it was time to replace the remaining tires regardless of tread left. Figured that if one went, the rest would not be that far behind. But that was my choice to do so. I never even considered contacting Carlisle about a 4 year old tire. Replaced the bunch with "Duro" brand tires.

Just my opinion,

Rodney
Old 11-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #4

Tires are good... we found air bubbles coming from the wheel at the weld spots.. thanks for your opinion..

Old 11-10-2008, 04:37 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If you're looking for alternate 16" G-rated wheels, I'd give our iRV2.com sponsor, Southwest Wheel, a call. Click on Sponsors on the main page tool bar at the top of the page, then Southwest Wheel's banner.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #6

Actually, SWW doesnt have the most popular wheel on trailers today. I found these to work well. Better specs, resonable price and good service.:
Wheels
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #7

How coincidental! On July 25, 2008, we experienced a stress fracture in one of the wheels on our Newmar Cypress fifth wheel. We took it to a Newmar dealer who got authorization to replace the wheel. Then on October 16 we had the same thing happen to another wheel! (same size tire that you have!) This time I spoke with Tredit Tire directly and they admitted that all the wheels that were manufactured in Argentina were troublesome. I, like you, was "nervous about the other wheels failing down the line" and the rep finally agreed to replace all three remaining wheels and the remounting of same at no charge. (side note: we have a tire pressure monitoring system on our rig that alerted us to the loss of pressure while zipping down the highway at 60 mph! That saved further damage!) Our suggestion is to contact the manufacturer, even if your rig is out of warranty, and have them go to bat for you.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:33 AM   #8

Had same problem over a year ago. Tredit was no help, said my wheels fell outside the recall date. Bought four new aluminum wheels from "trailertireandwheels.com". Very happy with the wheels and also the price.
Good luck,
Ginzo
Old 11-13-2008, 07:03 AM   #9

Wheel Update..
I used all the responses and forwarded to Tredit.. they are sending me one new wheel. My concern now is if this will be a match for the other three ... may end of as tginzo and find 4 new ones and more peace of mind.
Thanks to all who responded with positive support.
walt

Old 11-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #10

Walt, Just curious, are those wheels that are going bad stock wheels from Alpenlite or are they aftermarket wheels.

Kevin
Old 11-17-2008, 04:55 AM   #11

Kevin,
The wheels were original equipment ..... a friend of ours has the exact same model of Alpenlite and has already replaced his rims due to the same problem.
He gave me the Tredit information and detailed his experience.
They replaced all 4 rims for him.. will only replace the one wheel for me.
My concern continues about unequal weight of wheels ...
This may not be a valid concern.. ???
We are full timers and depend on the performance of equipment to ensure happy traveling.
During this process I have explored after market options..
Do you have ideas ?
Thanks,
Walt

Old 11-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #12

3 weeks after having 4 new (Tredit) polished aluminum wheels installed as part of the independant supension installation in Elkhart IN, one of them began leaking while in Great Falls MT.

I called Tredit and they sent me a new wheel with a prepaid label to send them back the leaking one.

That was probably 12-14k miles ago and alls been well since.

'01 34'Carri-Lite, 5ver
h2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:27 AM   #13

We got our new rim and had it installed... all looks okay ..
Thanks all for you help,
Walt

Old 11-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:
If you're looking for alternate 16" G-rated wheels, I'd give our iRV2.com sponsor, Southwest Wheel, a call. Click on Sponsors on the main page tool bar at the top of the page, then Southwest Wheel's banner.

Rusty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just bought a set of Alcoa wheels from Southwest & we're looking forward to their arrival on Saturday.

But, I wasn't able to find any wheels suitable for the TT on their site. The only trailer wheels I found were 17.5".

Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote