Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2015, 02:21 PM   #1

When to adjust hitch, is 5'er level & air bags

Dear Group: We are new to 5'ers and two expensive lessons under our belt. A ding in the truck cab (Ram 2500 Quad Cab SLT diesel) and shattered rear window. Questions:
1. How do I determine where to place hitch (a Curtis R20). It must be too close to the bed now based on new ding.
2. How do I know whether or not the truck/5th wheel are level? Use my eyes? Or is there a more scientific measurement?
3. How much pressure should be put in the air bags (Air Flow). We are at 70 psi now and still don’t have a truly "smooth" ride. There is still a bit of push/pull.
Thanks!
Ms883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2015, 03:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms883 View Post
Dear Group: We are new to 5'ers and two expensive lessons under our belt. A ding in the truck cab (Ram 2500 Quad Cab SLT diesel) and shattered rear window. Questions:
1. How do I determine where to place hitch (a Curtis R20). It must be too close to the bed now based on new ding.
2. How do I know whether or not the truck/5th wheel are level? Use my eyes? Or is there a more scientific measurement?
3. How much pressure should be put in the air bags (Air Flow). We are at 70 psi now and still don’t have a truly "smooth" ride. There is still a bit of push/pull.
Thanks!
70 psi is a lot of air! Why do you have bags?

The truck should sit visually level and so should the RV when on a flat surface.

Don't know much about short bed towing.

What is your RV and what is the pin and overall weight?

What KingPin do you have?
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:43 AM   #3

1) If you are using the Ram puck holes for the hitch, don't believe there is any adjustment fore/aft. There may be a slider base to add that will give you more clearance if you remember to use it.
2) Besides visually being level, you can check for distance between trailer frame rails from front end to rear end--that will confirm if level or not. Many tow slightly nose up without a problem, but severe nose up will add extra strain/wear to rear trailer axle.
3) As mentioned, what is the pin box brand--solid or some type with movement?

More info on your towing setup might help us help you.

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #4

I agree with the above statements from wingnut 60 but I will also tell you how I measure my truck for a level ride with air-bags.

I measure some point on the truck that I can reach for repeatability with the trailer hook-up. I have chosen the top of the bumper outside corner. Now measure this when you are unloaded not hitched up. Hook- up the trailer and re-measure the bumper height inflate your air bags to obtain the same ride height as before and record this air-pressure. This is what you will need to inflate them to, to obtain the stock ride height when you tow.

You did not state if you have a short bed truck; do you? If you do you have found out that you will need a slider hitch. Also what year? The newer models from 2013.5 and up have a frame that is designed to accept certain 5er hitches to fit the holes (pucks) in the box. Pullrite makes a slider hitch that will fit the new Ram trucks see the attached link.
http://pullrite.com/sites/pullrite/f.../fitcharts.pdf

Jim
Old 07-28-2015, 02:15 AM   #5

I friggin' love my pullright superglide hitch with my shortbox! Hitch gets installed directly over the rear axle, but when turning, it moves back more than a foot.
PointyWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:27 AM   #6

I think I know what you are asking here:

Quote:
I am guessing this is the Curt Q20 with the roller. So also assuming you have a shortbed. Dings in your cab have nothing to do with hitch adjustment. The issue is you are not sliding when you should be sliding the hitch back, or if the trailer contacted the cab with the hitch slid back there could be a need for a new extended pinbox. The only time you would need to adjust a hitch up or down would be if the trailer rode too close to the bed rails and could contact them via uneven terrain. If you are the forgetful type I hate to say it but perhaps you should consider the aforementioned Pullrite Auto Slider. Otherwise know when to slide!

Quote:
For the truck, the most accurate way it measure from the top of the tire to the wheel well from front to rear. the trailer probably has a level mounted on it, if 2 or more axles I would prefer the truck have a bit of unlevelness (not a word I know) and the trailer be level. You may not have a lot of options here depending on your setup.

Quote:
If these are suspension airbags, they do nothing to improve the "chucking". All they do is help support the weight (meaning adjust the rear ride height). Anywhere under 100psi is OK. If this is an air ride pinbox, however, that may need some tweaking. You will never eliminate the push pull completely but can definitely reduce it compared to a standard kingpin.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:12 AM   #7

I am confuiesd. why do pepole buy short bed trucks when the have a 5th ?
TL259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL259 View Post
I run a SB as I drive the truck 365 days a year and tow the fiver maybe 20. For my daily use the short bed is the best. I do not have the luxury of owning a second one-ton diesel just for towing the coach, sliding hitch works great for me.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Lots of IMHO lame reasons! Longbed won't fit in my garage, hard to park, and so on!

Then they have to deal with a big cumbersome slider hitch. Can't haul squat and so on. But hey everyone has the right to do what works for them!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:44 AM   #10

ok. that helps. thank you.
TL259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:45 AM   #11

Quote:
My truck for the model year 2008 only offers one size bed and that is a 6'-5" bed. The Ram Mega Cab has a long wheel base and is over 20'-7" long just 2" shy of the Quad Cab Long bed truck. Both of these will fit in my garage, but I wanted the extra cab room that the Mega Cab gives you.

Jim W
Old 08-04-2015, 02:22 PM   #12

Quote:
I have no doubt about your "confuiesion", but one must consider that sometimes the truck was purchased first.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have a dodge mega cab withextra short bed and a curt Q20 slider hitch. I love the set up and very rarely have to slide the hitch. The is mounted directly over the axle and all is adjusted for 6" bed rail clearance. I have air bag just fir bounce and shock damping.o inflate just enough to see tge bed slightly raise. I love this set up and we full-time with this setup in a heavy Excel 5er.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #14

I have a 2006 2500HD Duramax short wheel base and a 2013 320RS Columbus. The truck fits in my garage and I like the looks of it and it is easier to maneuver. I do not have a sliding hitch nor do I need one. You can hit the cab with both the slide and the fixed with the fifth wheel if you turn too sharp and jack knife it. I have never had a spot that I wanted where I could not maneuver into it. Just pay attention. As far as air bags, I wanted them for my trip to AK last summer. I measured at the bumper the unloaded height and then let the truck take the full weight of the fifth wheel. I added air until I got to the original position (approx. 48 lbs) and recorded the PSI. I also added a 45 gallon aux fuel tank. IMO both the airbags and the aux fuel tank was a must for that trip.
khamis is offline   Reply With Quote