Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2014, 03:40 PM   #1

Where do you store your water softener?

We just recently purchased a 2014 Heartland Big Horn 3010RE that has a separate compartment for water connections and sewer pulls. There is a heated basement right next to it. We just purchased a new water softener (RV Pro 1000) that we are thinking about keeping in the basement and drilling holes into the water compartment to put the water lines through. We full-time in our rig and are trying to think of a way to keep the softener from freezing in the winter months. In past years we built a heated box to hold our old softener because our water hookup was outside. Has anyone had any experience doing this, or does anyone have a better solution?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ozark RVer, Sorry I can't help you with the softener, we don't have one. But I'm sure someone will chime in to help you. But Welcome to Irv2 and have fun with your new rig.

1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #3

Thanks so much. I know there's a wealth of informed, experienced people here, so I know we'll figure something out. We've actually been members since 1999, but hadn't signed on in a while and couldn't remember our correct ID and password. I've now learned to write those down. I'm working on trying to get the 2 accounts merged.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #4

I put one of those oil filled heaters in the basement on low to keep things nice and warm all winter. 5 Winters in Michigan and no freeze up yet and it keeps the bedroom floor nice and warm too. My water works area has a furnace line running to it also.

Get calk and insulation and take the crawl space wall out and get in the basement on a sunny day and look for where light gets in and plug the holes with whatever works the best for the area. Spray foam is also good. Might want to insulate the backside of the propane tankl area if it backs up to the basement. lots of places to plug holes and insulate once you start looking
Old 08-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark RVer View Post
We just recently purchased a 2014 Heartland Big Horn 3010RE that has a separate compartment for water connections and sewer pulls. There is a heated basement right next to it. We just purchased a new water softener (RV Pro 1000) that we are thinking about keeping in the basement and drilling holes into the water compartment to put the water lines through. We full-time in our rig and are trying to think of a way to keep the softener from freezing in the winter months. In past years we built a heated box to hold our old softener because our water hookup was outside. Has anyone had any experience doing this, or does anyone have a better solution?
I full time too, but I permanently live off my tanks. I keep my softener in the heated basement, but it is not hooked up to city water until I want to fill the tank. I have to do this about every four days.
I didn't like the idea of running water lines through unheated areas.

Living off the tanks, I don't have to worry about keeping the fresh water tank sanitary.

Sheff

2012 3500 Dodge dually
sheff69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water