Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2005, 11:25 AM   #1

I ask a lot of questions, but then I am going to be a first timer with a fifth wheel.
I am wondering, when you plug into your truck, where do you lay the cable to the trailer so it does not get pulled out or caught on something on turns, and where should the breakaway cable hook onto, so it does not get pulled out accidently?
Any pictures or what not would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2005, 11:25 AM   #2

I ask a lot of questions, but then I am going to be a first timer with a fifth wheel.
I am wondering, when you plug into your truck, where do you lay the cable to the trailer so it does not get pulled out or caught on something on turns, and where should the breakaway cable hook onto, so it does not get pulled out accidently?
Any pictures or what not would be appreciated.

Old 08-02-2005, 03:03 PM   #3

In my old truck, it was a little tricky, because the socket was in front of the hitch. The cable from the trailer was long enough, that I don't remember having any problems. On the current truck, with the socket behind the hitch (right about where the cable comes off the trailer), I just drop the cable into the bed in a coil, and plug in the end.

As for the breakaway cable, I had some problems with this early on (you haven't lived until a tight turn pulls that puppy :-), but now I put it over the locking lever (hinge end, not lock end) which holds the hitch latch lever in place. Since the locking lever is held closed with a padlock, noone can 'walk off with it'. And the location seems perfect, as I haven't had any problems since moving it here.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:17 PM   #4

Betweeen the wheel hump and the rear of the truck bed is fine. My previous trucks had the Bargeman plug in front of the wheel hump and occasionally the cord would get hung up on something. I just bought a new Chev Duramax, and will place the Bargeman plug as my first sentence. Some guys just use the existing plug beside the hitch receiver under the rear bumper. The cord is usually long enough, but I would think over time the rubbing would wear the truck paint and the 5er power cord.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:51 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies, I have my plug in between the cab and the wheel well on the drivers side.
Will see how the breakaway cable will hook on around the handle.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:03 AM   #6

I know that the most likely scenario in which the breakaway cable would have to come into play would be if your trailer came off the hitch. However, in the extremely unlikely event that the hitch came off the rails (prankster pulling all your pins for instance) it would not do any good to have the breakaway cable attached to the hitch.

I attach mine to the hitch rail that is bolted to the frame. I know, I know... it is theoretically possible that all four bolts could let go and I lose the rail with the cable attached, but I think that is outside the range of statistical probability and it would take a pretty determined prankster to get those bolts out.

Dave
dremelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:38 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Partsman01
This is the set up I built, more for ease of use than snarling, but it works both ways. No more standing on tip toes or squeezing under the trailer to reach hook ups. Less than $20 invested. Oh, the bubble wrap, that keeps the hitch from slamming around while driving around unhooked, it was free.

Hope this gives you some ideas, Mike
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #8

Funny you should mention that, I was told that it was better to put mine just past where you put yours, mine is closer to the cab, it is just past that hump you put yours too.
As you do not want to put your body between the trailer and the truck.
So your way is much safer and that is why I ended up moving mine up further.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
More info about what you have as a tow vehichle and 5vr would help.
However, this may help anyway, check out my web page and you can see where my electric hook up is. As far as the Emerg brake break away cable I loop mine over the realease handle and then hook it to the 5th wheel plate. There is a hole on it just for this purpose. With the type of install I have it is very important to ensure the cables don't catch anything becasue I have a SuperGlide auto slide hitch.
My Home Page
Old 08-03-2005, 10:10 PM   #10

Yes, I have a 77 F-250 supercab 2WD, long box, a used hijacker hitch and I bought a used or pre-owned as some would say, 1989 Prowler Lynx 18.5 tandem axle.
This should be a link to the fiver.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=13...&page=1&sort_order=0
Old 08-04-2005, 02:24 PM   #11

um, yes, if they pulled all my pins the breakaway cable would not be pulled. However, since they would have to defeat a lock no matter what part of the system they tryed to disconnect, I don't worry about it.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:31 AM   #12

As a addition...

My cord is plugged in near the tailgate of my truck. After having it come unplugged a few times, (not due to length, due to stiffness in the cord) I just duct-tape-it in place each time. The receiver "flip cover" is suppose to hold it in place but I found it could still slip out. A couple of pieces of the silver magical tape. Cheap and dependable.
CD

F350 PSD SD DRW
Doodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:14 PM   #13

It doesn't apply to non Commercial haulers, but many State DOT's frown on Transporters that hook the breakaway to the hitch. They want it securely attatched to something that can't come loose. Don't really know what that might be unless you weld an eye to the frame through the bed. They seem to be pickier about GN safety chains than 5er breakaways. But I've had both checked several times. Sorta depends on the State.

Cheers,
OTR PU
Old 11-23-2005, 05:42 PM   #14

I had my dealer put a plug in the back post,(at the tailgate) of my truck facing in toward the bed facing the oppiste side of the bed. It has about a two foot reach, if that, to the 5er. Works real well. I also hook my break away at the hitch handle but secure it with the lock at the handle through the little lock hole there.

2003 Monark w/125h.p. Merc
Tombs is offline   Reply With Quote