Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2005, 02:12 PM   #1

I have a 99 Keystone 290 RK and I live in it during to workweek and drive home on weekends. The camper is 45 minutes from the Smokies, so it does get below freezing but no -* degrees stuff. I've taken the normal winter precautions of wrapping the supply hose, pump and waterlines with heat tape and insulation. When I leave the camper for the weekend, I shut off the hose and relieve the pressure. I was looking for the "Low spot drain" to drain the lines, but I can't find it. As far as I can tell, I'd have to pull the cathode from the hot water tank. Thanks ahead of time
Jim
Jim Sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2005, 02:12 PM   #2

I have a 99 Keystone 290 RK and I live in it during to workweek and drive home on weekends. The camper is 45 minutes from the Smokies, so it does get below freezing but no -* degrees stuff. I've taken the normal winter precautions of wrapping the supply hose, pump and waterlines with heat tape and insulation. When I leave the camper for the weekend, I shut off the hose and relieve the pressure. I was looking for the "Low spot drain" to drain the lines, but I can't find it. As far as I can tell, I'd have to pull the cathode from the hot water tank. Thanks ahead of time
Jim
Old 01-10-2005, 08:36 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
on ours it's on the drivers side rear behind 2nd wheel....took me a while to find it as well.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:54 PM   #4

A quick look and I didn't see it, but it's dark and raining, so if I get to the camper earlier tomorrow I'll check. So it would be like under the slide around the wheel.
Thanks
Jim
Old 01-12-2005, 12:55 PM   #5

On our Sportsmen they are in the front compartment.
Just start following your water lines and when you find them it will be two small valves with tubes running downward and out beneath the trailer.
Milt
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:33 PM   #6

I've traced the lines and can't find it. On my Jayco 5th I had before this 5th, there was a lable, and there was a drain by the bath and also by the galley. Also, there's no quick fill by the pump to winterize, guess need to add this. I may call the previous owner and see if he knows!
Old 01-14-2005, 06:57 AM   #7

On our Montana (made by Keyston)the low point drains are on the driver's side at the front about 2 feet back and close to the outside edge, the fresh water tank is on the same side (LH) just in front of the wheels close to the outside edge. BTW, that thing you'll be removing from the water heater is an anode rather than a cathode. The cathode's probably in your television !

'00 Montana Mountaineer 305FKS
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:50 AM   #8

That must be why my TV picture is so fuzzy
Old 01-16-2005, 11:09 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Sturgeon:
Jim <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
A call to the manufacture's customer service department could provide your answer?

Please let us know what you find out.

Rich
Our RV trip to Alaska
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:00 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have an Outside Shower? If so it is usually in that area, most are red & blue lines with either valves or caps on them. Some are also placed under the bathtub on the outside underneath the trailer.
I hope that helps
Old 01-19-2005, 02:40 PM   #11

Got to the camper before dark and went under it front to back side to side and no drain except for the fresh water tank. I re-traced the lines where I had insulated them earlier and still I can't find the low spot drain! I did see (feel?) where the lines branch from the bath shower/toliet/sink area to the kitchen/hot water heater in the rear, I say feel because the lines are covered with factory installed insulation and underpinning. The outside shower is higher than the lines so it would not drain the system. I did contact the manufacturer and they told me where the drain should be, but it's not. BTW, the lines have not been modified. Figuring this out is now becoming a challenge.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:15 AM   #12

Talked with the previous owner and he said the only drain was on the fresh water tank and that there was not a drain on the lines as such. Seems like a crazy set-up. Even the manufacture said there should be low spot drains in the lines. I guess this one slipped through when the drain installer was on break! As stated before I see where they logically should be, so I may make a project of installing some. It would involve cutting the undercarriage cover and tapping into the lines, but that should not be too bad. Thanks all
Jim