Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2015, 08:30 PM   #15

Buy something you like and can't live without. It took us a year to decide. The heartland 3160el and Ram 3500 srw suit our needs.
KerrTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #16

We bought the biggest, baddest we could afford - Trilogy 3850D - was 80K out the door...we are in year three with her and we just love the rig...little things of course happen...but I say buy at the top end of your budget. Good luck!
pismocouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:51 PM   #17

I can't tell you what to buy, it all depends on your budget and intended use. I would recommend used as well. I'm in my late 30's and our family has camped all my life in some fashion. When I married a few years ago, my wife had children. We bought our first coach, a '91 Excel from an elderly gentleman. We wanted to see if my "new family" enjoyed camping. We speant many weekends cleaning and performing minor repairs on our new to us trailer. Camped in it a few times and decided it was a good deal...just a little small for a family of 5. We sold it in the fall for what we had invested minus our time. Purchased a 2008 Keystone Copper Canyon bunkhouse so the kids would have more room. Bought it right from the original owners...still had plastic on the carpet and they threw in the B&W hitch. Sold the hitch for $500 and pulled the camper 3 years. We put new tires on and a few little maintenance items. With the kids getting older and not traveling with us, e decided to sell it and go back to a couples coach for the wife and I. We sold the Copper Canyon to a young family for $500 less than we paid for it. So if you figure the $500 we got for the hitch, we didn't lose money other than repairs which we could have had anyways. We now pull a 2004 DRV Mobile Suites. Again, we bought it right, and can probably pull it 3-4 years and get our money back. Our truck and trailer are paid for. You can get a lot more bang for your buck and a higher quality trailer buying used. My folks bought a 1998 Alpenlite from the original owner in around 2001. They pulled it without incident until it was traded on a custom ordered 2012 Montana Mountaineer. The Alpenlite was 10x's the coach the Montana is. Now the folks are wanting to sell their Montana to order another brand....the dealers want a fortune to trade and their coach is like new. This is another reason I'll buy used. Let the first owner take the bath.
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote