Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #1

Which 5w hitch?

I need the forum's advice on a 5w hitch. TV is a 2012 Chevy 3500 (1 ton) Duramax crewcab, 4WD, short box, SRW. RV will be delivered in Feb and is a 34' Excel Limited. I've been on this forum on countless nights, talked to tons of people and still haven't made up my mind.

Issues: Auto slider vs manual slider vs non-slider - some folks say "get the slider & avoid the costly mistake", while others say it's not needed. Slider is heavy and expensive. I like the B&W tunover ball with companion because I want my bed to be clean without rails when I'm not towing. But no slider with B&W.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Gordon & Lisa Phillips
AF Retired
ABQ, NM

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I have the same truck and trailer as you. I use a B&W Companion hitch. No problems. It's set at the most rear, mid height position.

B&W has released a sliding hitch, but IMHO, you don't need the extra weight or expense:
NEW Product Launched | B & W Trailer Hitches

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #3

Measure the distance from the center of the 5er pin to outer-most front corner of your 5er and add 6". Then measure the distance from the pin cradle in the hitch to the cab. . If the latter measurement is more than the first you don't need a slider. If it were me and a slider was needed, I would definitely buy the automatic version. Just one time forgetting to activate a manual slider could ruin your day. That's my opinion. I personally have never had such a problem, I always buy a long-bed truck so I have room to carry my genset, toolbox, camping chairs, grandkids trykes, etc.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #4

Also consider a Pull-rite Superglide. I had one on a previous 5th wheel/SB Ford. It can be removed leaving 4 holes (about 2" diameter). No levers, switches or electrical connections required and a very secure hitch jaw design. You never have to think/worry about it. If you need it, it is already working. New truck ia a Long Box, so I sold the slider hitch, but purchased a Pullrite Super 5th because of the ease of removal and the latch design. I have no financial or personal interest in this company, I'm just very satisfied with my 7 year experience.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
I have the same truck and trailer as you. I use a B&W Companion hitch. No problems. It's set at the most rear, mid height position.

B&W has released a sliding hitch, but IMHO, you don't need the extra weight or expense:
NEW Product Launched | B & W Trailer Hitches
Russell, I watched a YouTube video on the B&W Companion and now understand how the pivot side arms can be set to achieve the "most rear" position. Looks like it gives a few extra inches of clearance. Makes sense now, thanks!

Gordon
Old 01-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #6

I towed with GM standard box for 12 Yeats and never needed a slider. Short WB trucks do not need to cut as sharp as Long WB ones. I had 2 CB aerials on the box sides 5 inches back and when they moved I was close enough.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davey View Post
Also consider a Pull-rite Superglide. I had one on a previous 5th wheel/SB Ford. It can be removed leaving 4 holes (about 2" diameter). No levers, switches or electrical connections required and a very secure hitch jaw design. You never have to think/worry about it. If you need it, it is already working.
I had a Pull-Rite Superglide for 4 years.
NEVER had to worry about making turns. AND the floor is flat when you remove the hitch and pins.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #8

You might also consider using a Sidewinder pin box. That will eliminate the problems associated with the short bed.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
You might also consider using a Sidewinder pin box. That will eliminate the problems associated with the short bed.
You can't use a Sidewinder with a B&W Companion hitch.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #10

I have a 25K Air Safe Hitch its pricey but well worth it.

Trailer Saver also makes a great Air Ride Hitch

Before you buy Google up Air Safe and Trailer Saver and take a look.

IMO they are the best out there cant' go wrong with either one. Been having mine since 2008 and its been great.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Long bed and DRW and all problems are solved.

Ken
Old 01-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
But if you have a sb and there is any doubt
(since none of us know your specific rv specs) ,
spend the one time upgrade to an autoslider like my superglide -
no worries, no forgetting (because your checklist WILL be long enough already !)

good luck.... and I can tell you my slider has come into play just about everyday....
I guess I have more curvy roads and storage areas than most
Old 01-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #13

I have a Reese slider in my ford, but rarely used the slide part. It is a short bed one ton also. The main and best feature is the side to slide oscillation. It is easier on the trailer and the truck. You can now order a ford with the fifth wheel mounting already done, trailer plug in bed and factory spray in Berliner. It is just like my Reese setup which when removed you only have four small holes in bed and there are rubber plugs to cover them and the floor is smooth. All the rails and mounts are under the bed. And ford will even sell you the fifth wheel to go with it if you like. But I love the new stile Reese hitches, as I had the older ones with the rails in the bed and all and the new style has them beat, hands down.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Long bed and DRW and all problems are solved.

Ken
Sorry, I like being able to keep my truck in my garage.

Gordon