Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2006, 03:41 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have searched under "air bags" and kinda/sorta have decided that I want to add this system to Bill's truck. I really hate the way it rides. It better when we are towing the 5vr, but empty it rides like a "truck".

Please let me know which brand you like best and what kind of price I can expect.

THANK YOU !!!

Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2006, 03:41 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have searched under "air bags" and kinda/sorta have decided that I want to add this system to Bill's truck. I really hate the way it rides. It better when we are towing the 5vr, but empty it rides like a "truck".

Please let me know which brand you like best and what kind of price I can expect.

THANK YOU !!!

Nancy
Old 08-07-2006, 04:34 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
I have the Firestone Ride Rite bags. They were a snap to install. Took me all of an hour. It did help the ride a bit, but I did it mostly so the truck sits level when the 5er is hooked up.
Mine rides like a "caddy" with the 5er hitched or a ton of gravel in it. When empty it ride like a truck. But then it is a truck.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Thanks, K-Star. The rig is already level when towing. I am really looking for something that will improve the ride when the truck is not loaded. As stated prior when pulling the 5vr the ride improves. Some other threads indicated that the ride would improve overall.
Nancy
Old 08-07-2006, 02:35 PM   #5

I second the Firestone bags as well. As stated, the install was easy and I really liked the stability that they offered.
Buzzcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:37 PM   #6

Coastal Campers
Some claim that
Velvet-Ride Suspension Shackles

Smooth things out...
Old 08-07-2006, 09:15 PM   #7

I went with the Firestone units also. When truck is empty, the airbags with only 10psi air gives a little bit softer "cushion" to the springs' actions. But reducing the tire pressure in rear when empty is really the key. I reduce them to 45-50psi and carry a 12V airpump in case I need to increase pressure to add a load.
When towing I increase the rear tires to 65-psi and raise pressure in the airbags to about 35psi.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:30 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
yup. 10 pounds is all I run them at. When towing I increase it to 20 pounds. To clarify my comment. I originally put them in to level the truck when towing. The better ride solo was an added, and welcome, benefit that I had not expected.

Check RVUpgrades.com for pricing.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:10 AM   #9

I went with Firestone air bags, very happy with them, yes they probably alter the emtpy ride, but not by much. They did greatly improve the loaded ride and with a change in air pressure can customize your ride to your liking.

If your really after a car like ride empty, better upgrade the stock ford springs for a true air supention, which will bite into the wallet a bit.

Happy camping.
gearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #10

I have the Ride-rite airbags with the Commander II in cab controller. I run about 10-15 albs when empty, and it makes the truck much more stable. I will second the poster who said to change the tire pressure when empty. This smooths out the ride considerably. 40-45 psi is what I run empty and this softens the ride quite a bit.

2000 F-250 PSD
kampinguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:18 AM   #11

Overall I am happy with the Firestone Ride Rite rear air bags. I included the compressor kit with gauge in the cab. It has a very slow air leak that goes a little faster with a load, so I can monitor it while on a long trip. It improved the ride when towing our 33' 5er, even my wife notices the difference in the passenger seat. Doesn't rock and bounce as much. I measured the rear bumper before and after the install. At 75 or 80 psi, the rear bumper came up 4".

My only problem was with the installation. The rear springs on the F250 are at an angle to the ground. The bottom mounting base bolted on here. The top bracket got bolted on the frame paralell with the ground. This made it not even when traveling up and down. The front edge would have a longer measurement than the rear edge. The next day we left for Dumont Dunes, so I couln't have him work on it then. But brought it back as soon as we returned. He changed the spacers so the front bottom bracket is higher. It helped, but not perfect and now it doesn't line up straight up and down. Can't change the top braked because the holes are already drilled. Any help anyone? So I guess watch out for this.

[img]http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6%3DzqH%3AxxqUD7qRUrKxzX7BHpUUKx gXPol%3F87KR6xqpxQQGJxnaQxJG0xv8uOc5xQQQoeQ0PoeGoJ qpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPol%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442[/img]

sjseng is offline   Reply With Quote