Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #15

Bought the F350 dually first, paid for it in 2 years then bought the 5wheel. Didn't want to make payments on both at the same time. Isn't much I can't pull with it. Just figured I would go big or stay home. Now just waiting on that great deal for a Newmar to come my way.
Snap-On Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2014, 05:54 AM   #16

I bought my f350 with a light weight 5er in mind. I am perfect with my cougar. Looked a little funny pulling a popup around. Not really I pulled a used TT then a new TTNand now my 5er.

Randy
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Fred from Ga Send a message via MSN to Fred from Ga Send a message via Yahoo to Fred from Ga
Two year ago I bought a one owner 1993 F-350, 4D Dually, 7.3 Diesel with five speed manual, I love shifting gears, with 90K miles. My cousin bought the truck new for pulling a drag car goose neck trailer. Started looking for MY 5th wheel but the wife found a '88 Holiday Ramble Class A gasser 35' with 56K miles. Guess what I have sitting beside my house? Yep HR.
Said all that to say I bought the truck first because I knew the owner, knew the truck and figured I could pull any 5er that I could afford. Now looking again for the 5th of my dreams. Will be a used one but they are out there that will meet my needs and I don't have to worry about the truck. Hoping to be rid of the MH and have a nice trailer sitting in it's place before spring.
Fred from Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #18

I bought a trailer then truck
Then did it again eight years later
Lol
First truck would not do second trailer
Lol
Old 12-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have always been a little backward In this... We bought our first camper (33' trailer) then went looking for a truck... Then, upgraded to Jayco Designer Fifth Wheel 3 years later, then went looking for a dually.... Just upgraded to DP and traded the designer and the dually in on the purchase.... Now looking for a toad, as none of our current cars and tow 4 down.... Go figure. You would have thought we would have learned our lesson. To do it again? Probably do the same thing. It's the coach that's more important to us, not how we tow it...
PPAinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #20

We are planning on going full time rving next year and in the process of buying a 350 dually. What kind of mileage do you get on your truck when you are not pulling your 5th wheel? Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your help.
John & Linda
jlongpre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap-On Man View Post
Bought the F350 dually first, paid for it in 2 years then bought the 5wheel. Didn't want to make payments on both at the same time. Isn't much I can't pull with it. Just figured I would go big or stay home. Now just waiting on that great deal for a Newmar to come my way.
Amazing how so many start with a 1500 or 2500 then try to make it work when they go bigger with the RV then they loose big on the trade in when they finally figure out they are overloaded.

ZACTLY "go big or stay home" !!!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlongpre View Post
We are planning on going full time rving next year and in the process of buying a 350 dually. What kind of mileage do you get on your truck when you are not pulling your 5th wheel? Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your help.
John & Linda
These numbers are for my 2013 and a 18K Toy Hauler. Fuelly.com says that I have averaged 13.2 MPG over 41876 empty miles. However, I have noticed a significant increase in the last 5K mi. It says my last fill up was 14.7 MPG and my best was 15.9 mpg. I separated my towing miles from my empty miles. I have 15781 towing miles with an average of 8.4 mpg. Hope that helps and they are as real as it gets.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlongpre View Post
Thanks for your help.
John & Linda
We had 05 Ford 350 6.0 diesel dually, 4 door cab, long bed. Towed Jayce Designer, 38rdqs that grossed out at 16k. Pulling I got betwen 10 & 12 mpg. Empty, which I rarly did, was about 14 mpg.
PPAinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #24

Opinion

Since everyone is giving their opinion, I'm on my third truck and finally bought a 1 ton. I was told to buy a 1 ton but didn't listen, started out with a 1/2 ton & TT, 3/4 ton diesel and went to a FW, then traded the 3/4 for a 1 ton Diesel.
The average full profile FW will throw you into a payload deficit if you have a 3/4 ton so my advise is get the one ton, cost difference is a few hundred dollars but you will save in the long run.
Do your homework before and then the decision making process when you are out there hunting will be so much easier.
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #25

Buy the camper and then match the truck to the rig, even better would be to buy more truck than you currently need because if you are like me you will upgrade before you know it.
pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #26

We just went thru this and don't think it matters as long as you first set your parameters. Determine the size and weight of the FW (within a range, say 10-12K or 12-14K lbs.), then determine what size truck you will need to tow that size FW.

In our case, we purchased the FW but didn't close the deal until a week later, during which time we purchased a truck. The dealer had a guy on contract to do deliveries (no additional $ out of our pocket) and he delivered it to our storage location because we didn't have the hitch installed in the truck. Going either way will be no problem, UNLESS you change your parameters. If you plan on purchasing a Cougar and end up with a Mobile Suites, you haven't planned accordingly if you only have an F250 with which to tow it.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #27

If you don't have a truck, how will you get the fiver home?
Old 12-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #28

"If you plan on purchasing a Cougar and end up with a Mobile Suites, you haven't planned accordingly if you only have an F250 with which to tow it"

Hey the F250 with bags and 19.5's will be fine!

Many think so.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote