Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-30-2015, 02:57 PM   #85
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
It's actually $895.00 more for an F350. Regardless it's well worth it. Unless you have to pay a higher registration fee.
My numbers were from 2013 when I got mine, but I agree, you'd be foolish not to get it at that small of a price difference.
__________________

__________________
JethroHeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #86
Member
 
KerrTx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 66
We got the truck 1st. We wanted a specific truck that we would be able to use while we were in town and not worry about parking, small town driving and off road. And we wanted it comfortable for the drive. It was hard to find the truck even using dealer locate. We easily picked out a 5th wheel the truck was capable of towing.
__________________

__________________
DJ
2016 Bighorn 3160EL
2015 RAM 3500 6.7L I6 4x4 CC SB SRW
KerrTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #87
Member
 
Westwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 95
I know what your saying, last August I was looking for a 2015 GMC 1 ton CC and it was impossible to find something close to home (Rhode Island). There were only two in the state that filled most of our requirements. One to expensive with a tow package which I would never use and the other had GPS, so I picked the less expensive with the GPS.
But like you I searched high and low and it wasn't only GMC, Dodge and Ford dealers didn't have 1 tons on the lot either.
__________________
Westwind
2012 Heartland Bighorn 3070RL, Trailer Saver BD3
2015 GMC Sierra 3500 SLE CC, Shortbed D/A
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #88
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9
Which comes first?

Well, we bought the 2015 38FL Cedar Creek 5th Wheel first. 13,900 lbs dry. After three trips in for warranty service we hope we've seen the last of the 'issues' but I seriously doubt it. Now we purchased a 2014 F250 Lariat Diesel with 5000 miles on the odometer. Nice truck. Just had a Husky 26K slider hitch installed so with a few practice runs we may finally be ready to go, at least for a short drive. Got to make sure we've got at least 6" clearance from the top of the truck bed to the camper, and then buy that nice GPS that we can program the camper specs in for low bridges and other obstacles. So much to learn.....
__________________
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:38 PM   #89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshalone View Post
Well, we bought the 2015 38FL Cedar Creek 5th Wheel first. 13,900 lbs dry. After three trips in for warranty service we hope we've seen the last of the 'issues' but I seriously doubt it. Now we purchased a 2014 F250 Lariat Diesel with 5000 miles on the odometer. Nice truck. Just had a Husky 26K slider hitch installed so with a few practice runs we may finally be ready to go, at least for a short drive. Got to make sure we've got at least 6" clearance from the top of the truck bed to the camper, and then buy that nice GPS that we can program the camper specs in for low bridges and other obstacles. So much to learn.....
Not trying to be a jerk here but please tell us how you figure a F250 would be the proper truck to haul a 38' 5er with a "DRY" weight of nearly 14K? Your loaded weight will easily exceed 16K before you know it. With 25% pin you will have up to 4K sitting on the rear plus hitch and cargo.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #90
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Not trying to be a jerk here but please tell us how you figure a F250 would be the proper truck to haul a 38' 5er with a "DRY" weight of nearly 14K? Your loaded weight will easily exceed 16K before you know it. With 25% pin you will have up to 4K sitting on the rear plus hitch and cargo.
I don't think he'll have any trouble hitching up. Just towing.


Looks like a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hands is doing.
__________________
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #91
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Traveling/Volunteering Full Time
Posts: 29
Neither the Truck Dealers nor the RV Lots give good advice ("Sure, you can pull that with this truck"!)

Our approach was to decide on the 5er we thought we wanted, run ALL the numbers from the truck towing guides to see what kind of truck would be required to pull what we thought we wanted... After we knew what truck was required for that kind of trailer, THEN we bought the trailer. It really doesn't matter which you buy FIRST, you need to make the decision as a combination of the two together.

I created a spreadsheet to help me review all the numbers. While it may be a little out of date, you can plug in your truck & trailer to see how your weight ratings come out: Truck Capacities | Judith & Mark's Travels
__________________
yourpcgeek49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:22 AM   #92
Senior Member
 
Imurphy907's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Palmer, Ak
Posts: 195
We are about to order a 5er. I told the wife we will pick the trailer we want. then get the truck to pull it. My 3/4 ton GMC CC/LB on paper will only handle about 15,700 towing weight. that weight will max out the rear axle and be over GCVW. We are buying a heartland RW420 at 43' and 21k lbs. So we are looking at M2 106 freightliners and single rear axle HDT's. Its complicated for us due to having 3 kids. Otherwise it would be easy to pick a truck. On paper a F450 or 2016 Dodge 3500 could handle it. But it just does not feel right. Bigger trailer, bigger truck. I have pulled 24k with my GMC on a flat deck trailer. But would not try it with a tall 5er.
__________________
2001 Volvo VNL660 Cummins N14, straight 10. 460HP holding 60MPH up a 7%.
2016 Heartland Road Warrior 420. Full time VERY soon.
https://www.facebook.com/Murphysonthemove?ref=hl
Imurphy907 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imurphy907 View Post
We are about to order a 5er. I told the wife we will pick the trailer we want. then get the truck to pull it. My 3/4 ton GMC CC/LB on paper will only handle about 15,700 towing weight. that weight will max out the rear axle and be over GCVW. We are buying a heartland RW420 at 43' and 21k lbs. So we are looking at M2 106 freightliners and single rear axle HDT's. Its complicated for us due to having 3 kids. Otherwise it would be easy to pick a truck. On paper a F450 or 2016 Dodge 3500 could handle it. But it just does not feel right. Bigger trailer, bigger truck. I have pulled 24k with my GMC on a flat deck trailer. But would not try it with a tall 5er.
No difference how tall it is really, weight is weight, lol
__________________
JethroHeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #94
Senior Member
 
justafordguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 399
But the taller it is the more the wind will affect it.
__________________
2015 Gateway 3650BH
2005 F250 CC 4x4
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:53 PM   #95
Senior Member
 
Imurphy907's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Palmer, Ak
Posts: 195
There is a lot more in the physics of towing a low load. And towing a barn. Less to do with wind then anything else. A taller load will push you around differently then a low load. Ask a flatbed driver if he ever pulls cubes. They will tell you how different they feel. I sure notice the difference.
__________________
2001 Volvo VNL660 Cummins N14, straight 10. 460HP holding 60MPH up a 7%.
2016 Heartland Road Warrior 420. Full time VERY soon.
https://www.facebook.com/Murphysonthemove?ref=hl
Imurphy907 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:32 AM   #96
Member
 
mookie's Avatar
 
Nor'easters Club
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwind View Post
I know what your saying, last August I was looking for a 2015 GMC 1 ton CC and it was impossible to find something close to home (Rhode Island). There were only two in the state that filled most of our requirements. One to expensive with a tow package which I would never use and the other had GPS, so I picked the less expensive with the GPS.
But like you I searched high and low and it wasn't only GMC, Dodge and Ford dealers didn't have 1 tons on the lot either.

I myself was in the market for a new dual wheeled truck and found the same problem. None to be found. I live in western NY and none of the dealers had anything but they said they can get them in. I got an estimate from a local dealer on a 2015 F350 diesel 4x4 CC with duals. He gave me a price and after talking to him a bit, he mentioned it was 350 miles away. When I got off the phone with him and looked for a truck with my specs about 350 miles away and I found it. It was the exact truck he quoted me for $10,000.00 less than what he quoted me...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438605115.279278.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	101919No joke!!!!! A brand new F350 with 9 miles it for 10 grand less. And the lot was full of F350's with duals. Needless to say, I drove to Ohio and bought the truck and I love it. The process was so smooth that it was obvious it was meant to be. I looked up the truck on a Wednesday evening just after talking to my local dealer and was in Ohio that Saturday taking delivery of my brand new F350. I will definitely do business with Coughlin Ford again. They are in Johnstown Ohio.


Mookie
__________________
mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:14 AM   #97
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 35
Some people have OCD and think its easier to get the trailer then search for the truck with the complimenting paint color.
__________________
Capt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #98
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 328
t6 first

get the trailer, then the truck.

Jim
__________________

__________________
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Truck Horsepower 6mm Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 15 10-07-2014 10:02 AM
New Truck for Wild Cargo RickS Excel Owner's Forum 47 07-23-2014 07:16 PM
Have truck and 5th wheel. Weight and size are Perfect. DW is ready "BUT" she need a l Harry james Full-Timers 5 06-26-2014 06:20 PM
From 5th wheel to Navion IQ ajlcal Class C Motorhome Discussions 4 02-18-2014 08:45 PM
Redlands Truck and RV Performance Center - Announces DriVer Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More) 0 10-04-2013 10:24 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.