Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #29

Really like our Bighorn. We're full time & the layout works for us.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #30

You guys are also forgetting Lifestyle! Its an incarnated version of Carriage. Its as good as DRVs and Excels. And its hitch weight is more like Excel than DRV (i.e. lighter) so any dually will pull even the largest of their model.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #31

as good as drv and excel? bold statement. I don't agree. It is also not a wide body. This is a substantial minus
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
as good as drv and excel? bold statement. I don't agree. It is also not a wide body. This is a substantial minus
If I recall, Excel is also not a wide body.

DRV, Excel and Lifestyle all uses boxed frames. They are all very well insulated as well. The only others still in business who use them are New Horizon and (another custom build company that escapes my brain at the moment) which are even more expensive.

Lifestyle is the new Carriage which used to be highly regarded. Unfortunately, it is also priced like Excel Winslows. I checked out the DRVs and Lifestyles during the same RV show - seriously, Lifestyle deserves a look if you are looking for a full-timing unit. Their full-length slide-out model looks pretty nice.

I haven't made my mind up yet but it will be one of these three, but gotta admit the DRV 36ft model is in a slight lead right now.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #33
PJL

I think you will find the Excel are 102" wide, vs 96" for Lifestyles. Lifestyles does appear to be a well made trailer, but DW likes the feel of a few more inches. Therefore, neither Lifestyles nor I was able to satisfy her.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
I think you will find the Excel are 102" wide, vs 96" for Lifestyles. Lifestyles does appear to be a well made trailer, but DW likes the feel of a few more inches. Therefore, neither Lifestyles nor I was able to satisfy her.
I agree - one of the reason I like the DRV is because of the extra length. I couldn't find any info on the width of the Excels though. I assumed it's a 96" just like 99% of all trailers out there...

The other thing I like is the holding tank size - DRVs have the largest tanks.

But what I don't like about the DRVs is the hitch weight - its very heavy. I expect to carry an extra diesel tank and also 6 large batteries in the trailer. Although I didn't go through details yet, I think its going to challenge most of the 350/3500 duallies out there for the payload limits.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
102" vs. 96" wide is not a deal killer.

Ken
Old 12-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #36

didn't see any mention of the dynamax trilogy. Does anyone have any experience or comments on how the trilogy compares? We are looking at the 41 ft. trilogy to go full time in next spring.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #37

[QUOTE=POPPASMURF;1811476]Another area not mentioned yet is the wall construction for humidity control. Full timing produces much more humidity than occasional use. The walls should have a vapour barrier to prevent humidity building in the walls. QUOTE]

Agreed. The way RVs are normally built is wrong. The vapor barrier is on the exterior side of the insulation which lets moist warm air contact the cold exterior roof or wall surface. Then you get condensation and potentially serious damage. IMO, this is a major flaw in the way RVs are built.

Do any manufacturers install a vapor barrier on the interior side of a ceiling or wall? For full-timing, I would never buy an RV with batt insulation. Rigid foam will greatly reduce moisture from getting into a wall or ceiling cavity, but not 100%. I *think* some RVs are made with spray-on foam insulation? That would be the absolute best thing. Also, in my experience, batt insulation rarely gets installed properly anywhere.

I'd suggest having a hygrometer and if needed, use a dehumidifier if you are in a cold and damp location.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #38

Trilogy skimps on insulation. front cap none. If memory serves me it is 2.5" in roof. probably ranks with lowest in industry. They are a very nice looking unit though.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 12-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
102" vs. 96" wide is not a deal killer.

Ken
Depends on who you ask. Weighs very heavy with me.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
I think you will find the Excel are 102" wide, vs 96" for Lifestyles.
According to Excel's President, their RVs are 96" wide. See THIS THREAD.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #41

that what stopped me researching them.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #42

Talking full time fivers

I have been looking at full time 5th wheels also..I started a thread Mobil Suite vs Trilogy and received a lot of comments and advice. I checked a LOT of things on the Trilogy. Also saw their heat-cool test results. It has many more standard features than the Mobil Suite. Considering the difference in price its a no brainer for me. It may not last 15-20 years but at my age I most likely won't either..

smith45 is offline   Reply With Quote