Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #43

smith45 - so you going with the Trilogy?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #44

Thor Owners Club
Width on Excel is wider when rooms are open.

When I went to the post Rusty referred to as I read it, I understand Excel to be wider or = to the wide bodies when rooms are out.

Our average buyer is nearing retirement. Many have expressed that they no longer feel comfortable towing a wide-body because they can't see down the side of the unit in their mirrors.

We have chosen to stay standard width but make our slide-outs 6" deeper. Most of our competitors have a main slide that is 32" - 36" deep. Our main slide is 42" deep so that you are able to pull a standard width coach and see around it in your mirrors, but when you get to your site, the interior with the slides extended is the same as a wide-body. The square footage in set-up mode is comparable.

Bryan

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #45

Thor Owners Club
For fun, the DW and I took advantage of this great weather today and looked at some 2014's Did not see them all of course but the Redwood 38' RE was our top pick. But compared to our King of the Road Royal Villa, it doesn't come close. Our KOTR is also 2k lbs heavier. Perhaps because we have that slide out electric patio and 3rd axle. Darn good thing I have that 7.3L Ford to pull it huh...
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith45 View Post
I have been looking at full time 5th wheels also..I started a thread Mobil Suite vs Trilogy and received a lot of comments and advice. I checked a LOT of things on the Trilogy. Also saw their heat-cool test results. It has many more standard features than the Mobil Suite. Considering the difference in price its a no brainer for me. It may not last 15-20 years but at my age I most likely won't either..
I read the test about heat/cool also. I question it. Posters on Forest River/Trilogy website complain of heat and cold. One even drill hole in closet and insulated it. Definite red flag for me
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #47

best for full time.

Tuffr2, Yes I am going with the Trilogy. They can make all the changes we wanted except moving the w/d connections. I spent all day Thursday going thru the Mobil Suite and Trilogy. Not knocking the MS but the Trilogy had so much more standard items. We looked the 3850.
smith45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #48

Glenwest, What year model did they have ? I read a report from someone who heard about cutting hole for insulation. That was one of the things I went over with the dealer. They must be proud of their insulation on the 2014 models cause they had a big poster showing the results of heat/cold testing.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #49

According to Mike at factory only change is cedar in closet. No insulation in front cap. Suggest you read at Forest River website. People start off really bragging on units and then as summer heats up you see complaints on cooling. Really Heartland Landmark is better insulated. I gave up on anything on current market and got this used Teton. found nothing on market today that compares to it.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 12-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #50

IMHO - I really like the Trilogy. It has a heavy 12" I-beam frame, 8,000lb. axles, 17.5" wheels. These are all things my current 5er does not have.

I will be going to the Tampa RV Show to take a further look at Redwood, Trilogy, DRV Mobile Suites.

Excel and Lifestyle are too difficult to find or are too far away.

One other possibility is I may do what glenwest did and find a very high quality used unit.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #51

Mobile Suites will be heavy too. Very good units though. they don't insulated the slide out floors though. 1" plywood with backing for weatherproofing. They are dually territory and 38' up is new generation dually with the 22,000 towing rating. Dynamax has never insulated well their motorized units either. If you don't enjoy skiing and can go with temperate climates the Trilogy may work for you. I don't like the inboard propane tank. A lot more work to hook up a 5th wheel to tow to propane vs motorhome.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #52

If I end up with a Trilogy the large built in tank will last a long time the way I plan to use the rig. I will be following the sun and try to stay in a warmer climate in winter and cooler climate in summer. I would replace the 20lb. LP tank with a 30lb. tank.

For the most part I heat with electric. I will grill and cook with LP as well as the microwave.

My current pattern, I use 30lbs. of LP in about 2.5 to 3 months. The built in LP tank probably will not be an issue.

But I am not in a hurry and have the time and energy to find a rig that is better for full timing than my current rig.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #53

full time

Tuffr2, I don't think you will have any trouble filling the 97 lb propane tank on the Trilogy. It fills just like the tanks on a motorhome. Most R.V. parks have a propane truck come thru to fill the large tanks on motorhomes. The Trilogy fills the same way. This is a plus for me as I don't have to carry the smaller tanks around to fill them. Not sure about state parks, I don't stay there. Good luck on finding the right rig for your needs..
Old 12-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #54

Not saying you are wrong but I have never seen a propane truck in an rv park. all I been in have a large cylinder and you pull up to it. That would be so cool. Best service I have had park brought out 100 pd bottle full with buggy. Picked it up and filled as needed. and pro rate it when you leave. That was in Golden Co.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #55

Back to the OP's original question...can't comment on the others but we have fulltimed for six years in a Heartland Bighorn, and are now fulltiming in a Landmark Key Largo. Both have proved to be very capable and well built units and fit into you $70 budget.

We have experienced temps between just around zero to over 100 and have had no issues while staying quite comfortable inside. Heartland has an exceptional customer service department and is an excellent company to work with...
Old 12-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #56

The current park that I am in has a propane truck that comes thru about once a week. I have seen it twice so far. The price of propane jumps way up when you have it come to you.

I posted a question on the MH site about 6 months ago about getting the built in tank filled. I was told that the propane filling stations have real long hoses and can eaisly reach tanks on MH's.

The Trilogy comes with one 20lb external tank that can be switched out for a 30lb tank. I need to find out if a 30lb tank can be used as the primary source.