Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Have you considered an AirSafe 5th wheel hitch?

AIRSAFEā„¢ 25K Omni-Directional | Air Hitch by AirSafe Hitch Technology

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our first 5er is on order, BD3 trailer saver is sitting on my shop floor patiently waiting it's first use.

Spent endless hours researching and DW finally said just spend the money now and you won't have any buyers remorse.

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:19 PM   #17

That is my thinking also. Bite the bullet, do it right the first time. BD3 trail saver is my choice
Old 05-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #18

Hitch Crafter - Air Suspension Ride Fifth Wheel This is mine. Has own air compressor and stay level automatically. On the Pull Rite. I had one to fall apart. Bolts sheared in it after about 3 months. I replaced bolts and gave it away. Bought E Z Loader air hitch and now happy camper
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:16 PM   #19

Which Hitch???

With your 1st class setup I think I'd get the Hensley, plus it's rated well above your weights, not near the max. I have the TS3 but have yet to tow with it. I'll be going on a long trip beginning of June so will know if it was worth it for sure within the first day. I bought mine used, in excellent condition. I've seen a couple around Houston for sale, one just recently sold I think but it was a TS3 also. I was only looking at the TS3 though, not the larger one.

Guy I bought my TS3 from pulled a MobileSuites and he said he loved it, much smoother towing. He also had the Mor/Ryde pin box. He traded to a motor home which is the reason he sold the TS3.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:26 PM   #20

AirSafe tells me that they utilize an adapter rated at 20k thus their elimination from or consideration.
As I type this I am strongly leaning towards the Hensley.
Field Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:05 PM   #21

The ford requires an adapter if you have the ford under bed mount, I believe 400.00

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #22

Given this discussion, we're going to order the Hensley TrailerSaver. Thank to all of you!
Field Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #23

Is the ford and dodge adaptor the same????

Ford and Dodge adaptor the same ???
Old 06-18-2015, 01:33 PM   #24
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Field Trip View Post
Given this discussion, we're going to order the Hensley TrailerSaver. Thank to all of you!
I have the smaller BD3 and a Demco Glide Ride pin box. Smooth is the best way to describe the ride.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:17 PM   #25

More Air Hitch questions

I've decided to invest, have narrowed down to Air Safe and Trailer Saver. I've crawled through all the on line information I can find, but still am puzzled by the air compressor. For those of you that have air hitches, how often do you have to put air in the shocks? I sure can't reach the shrader valve once the rig is hooked up. I'm 5'3" with a F-350 DRW, and have to stand on a rim to reach the latch on my current hitch. I can't imagine having to fiddle with air every time I hook up??? Am I failing to understand the documentation? Thanks!
Old 06-27-2015, 04:19 PM   #26
JDT

I have the Trailer Saver BD3. On a 6 week, 5k mile trip last fall with 11 stops I aired it up when we left and never touched it till we got home.

The fill valve is fairly easy to reach on mine but I did have to crawl in the bed to do it. I had to release the air when we got home as I need all the clearance I can get to get the Excel thru the door and in its garage.

To make life easier I bought an Air Lift Wireless One compressor which operates wirelessly with a fob. I mounted it under the truck and ran an air line that attaches to the Schrader valve on the hitch. You control the pressure with the fob. I have found 65 lbs is just about right for my 3100 pounds of hitch weight. When I get home I set it at 5 lbs to get it lower for backing in the garage. Much easier on me as I can control it from the cab of the truck.

To connect the air hose from the compressor to the Schrader valve on the hitch was a bit tricky. I finally found a fitting at a truck supply that screws on to the valve on the hitch. It depresses the valve when I screw it on allowing for free air flow from the compressor. If I need to unhook it for some reason I don't loose any air. Also, its an easy disconnect when I need to remove the hitch. It has worked well so far.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #27

Mine came with air compressor and height limit switch. Just mount it, run hot wire and nothing else to do but hook up camper
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:59 AM   #28

I have the Air Safe. No problems with the air part. You can reach the valve to adjust of you climb in the bed. Biggest drawback with this hitch is the short lever. I had to make a pvc pipe extension to operate the lever otherwise you have to climb into the bed. Same thing for the lock pin. Bad design for an otherwise we'll performing hitch.