RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2019, 09:27 AM   #1

Which Hitch?

We're currently getting set up with our first RV. We bought a truck last month (1 gen old F350 diesel) and we put a deposit on a trailer yesterday (34' Prime Time Crusader, 2 yr old private sale).

We've got a couple weeks before we bring the trailer home, so now I'm looking at what kind of hitch to put in the truck. Seems to me we've got 3 choices.

A traditional 5th wheel hitch. I know there are a lot of choices in this category, but for example.
https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufact...s%2C177&sr=8-9

An Anderson goose ball system.
https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...9366895&sr=8-4

A Reese Goose Box that entirely replaces the pin box on the RV.
https://www.amazon.com/Reese-94720-G...9366969&sr=8-5

The prices for those 3 systems seem close enough to each other as to make money not the primary deciding issue. I would like to be able to get the hitch in and out of the truck by myself, which would seem to rule out the traditional 5th wheel setup.

I've seen good reviews of both the Anderson and Reese hitches. I've also seen just a few not so good reviews of the Anderson and some mention that the Reese is a bit more work to couple/uncouple than others.

The trailer doesn't have anything special for a pin box now, just a basic unit. Is the air bag on the Reese worth the extra $400 or so over the Anderson? Should I just get a traditional hitch and be like (what seems to be) 90% + of everyone else out there with a 5th wheel? Want to order soon. Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions or experiences.

heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2019, 09:40 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
If I had it to do all over again, and the second generation Reese goosebox was available, that is the route I would take. I'm not disappointed in my B&W Companion, just would like easier access to the truck box and a more "cushioned ride" from anything with an airbag.
I'm sure you are going to get all sorts of answers, just sort through and make an informed choice. Can't really go wrong anyway you go.
Enjoy the journey!

JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
We're currently getting set up with our first RV. We bought a truck last month (1 gen old F350 diesel) and we put a deposit on a trailer yesterday (34' Prime Time Crusader, 2 yr old private sale).

We've got a couple weeks before we bring the trailer home, so now I'm looking at what kind of hitch to put in the truck. Seems to me we've got 3 choices.

A traditional 5th wheel hitch. I know there are a lot of choices in this category, but for example.

https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufact...s%2C177&sr=8-9

An Anderson goose ball system.

https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...9366895&sr=8-4

A Reese Goose Box that entirely replaces the pin box on the RV.

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-94720-G...9366969&sr=8-5

The prices for those 3 systems seem close enough to each other as to make money not the primary deciding issue. I would like to be able to get the hitch in and out of the truck by myself, which would seem to rule out the traditional 5th wheel setup.

I've seen good reviews of both the Anderson and Reese hitches. I've also seen just a few not so good reviews of the Anderson and some mention that the Reese is a bit more work to couple/uncouple than others.

The trailer doesn't have anything special for a pin box now, just a basic unit. Is the air bag on the Reese worth the extra $400 or so over the Anderson? Should I just get a traditional hitch and be like (what seems to be) 90% + of everyone else out there with a 5th wheel? Want to order soon. Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions or experiences.
Goosebox is a better ride than andersen. I've had both.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:07 AM   #4

Just returned from an 1800 mile trip pulling our 15k 5er equipped with a GooseBox. I have used the Andersen. Its a nice hitch and does what it claims but the ride and bed access provided from the GB is superior. Its easily worth the price difference IMHO. Coupling the GB onto the ball is not difficult for us. Like anything... you become accustomed to it.

I initially pulled with a long bed truck but recently traded for a short bed. You didn't mention in your post if you have an 8' bed or 6.5' so I thought I'd mention towing with a 6.5' is doable with a GB. I will, however be swapping out the factory Ram gooseneck hitch for a B&W Gooseneck hitch. B&W makes and adapter that moves the ball 4" towards the tailgate. Using this will provide a little more turning clearance and peace of mind...
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #5

I've had an Andersen hitch for the last couple of years, and before that I had a few different brands of regular flat plate hitches like everybody else uses. I've never used a GooseBox, I skipped over that one when when I found out it weighed 165 pounds, the Andersen hitch weighs about 40 pounds.

The weight is important to me because I also have a slide in truck camper that I use during the summer and I can remove or install the Andersen hitch in a matter of minutes by myself.

But mostly I like the stable ride that the Andersen hitch gives me, there's so much less bouncing and chucking, and my Arctic Fox 27 – 5L fifth wheel feels like it's a part of the truck instead of just hanging on the back the way my other hitches felt.

I also like the way I can glance at my Andersen hitch and know that its securely hooked up, unlike a regular flat plate hitch with a complicated locking mechanism that you have to look at very carefully to make sure that it's locked, and even then it's recommended that you do a pull test to make sure its not going to come undone. There's no mistaking that the Andersen hitch is hooked up and not coming loose outside of catastrophic failure.

No hitch is perfect, and we all have our preferences, but I've had three other flat plate hitches which worked fine most of the time, but as a full timer my hitch gets a lot more use and after two years and thousands of miles I like the Andersen hitch the best.

Theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboondork. View Post
I've had an Andersen hitch for the last couple of years, and before that I had a few different brands of regular flat plate hitches like everybody else uses. I've never used a GooseBox, I skipped over that one when when I found out it weighed 165 pounds, the Andersen hitch weighs about 40 pounds.

The weight is important to me because I also have a slide in truck camper that I use during the summer and I can remove or install the Andersen hitch in a matter of minutes by myself.

Theboondork.com

The nice thing about the Goosebox is that it replaces the current pinbox and is attached to the fifth wheel. You don't really add any weight, and there is nothing to remove from the bed of the truck other than the ball. Win-win in my book. Oh yeah - it rides better than the Andersen, same truck, same trailer comparison.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:59 PM   #7

Skip solid mount, skip the goosebox. Trailersaver aor ride hitch will solve any questions or chucking you might have.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #8

"We bought a truck last month (1 gen old F350 diesel) and we put a deposit on a trailer yesterday (34' Prime Time Crusader, 2 yr old private sale). "

Doesn't the hitch decision depend in part on truck bed length? As in, slider or not?

And I thought I was the only one with a 34' 5th wheel (Alpine 3010). Every place I go, people refer to me as 'the guy in that short 5er.'
Old 09-26-2019, 05:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfrv3 View Post
"We bought a truck last month (1 gen old F350 diesel) and we put a deposit on a trailer yesterday (34' Prime Time Crusader, 2 yr old private sale). "

Doesn't the hitch decision depend in part on truck bed length? As in, slider or not?

And I thought I was the only one with a 34' 5th wheel (Alpine 3010). Every place I go, people refer to me as 'the guy in that short 5er.'
Yes, my apologies. It's a long bed, extended cab, SRW.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:29 AM   #10

[QUOTE=theboondork.;4971721] I've never used a GooseBox, I skipped over that one when when I found out it weighed 165 pounds, the Andersen hitch weighs about 40 pounds.

The weight is important to me because I also have a slide in truck camper that I use during the summer and I can remove or install the Andersen hitch in a matter of minutes by myself."

The 165 lbs is heavier than the Andersen... true. However you did not mention the loss of the weight of the pinbox that gets replaced by the GB. Net weight gain over the standard pinbox might be around 65 lbs. The actual weight diff between the two hitches is closer to 25-40 lbs heavier using the GB. Its even easier to get to the empty bed many of us prefer when using the GB. I'd rather have a steel coupling device over aluminum but that's just me.

I have used both hitches in same truck/trailer combo. GB gives a smoother tow... hands down. Additionally, Andersen does not advertise meeting any federal safety standards. Why would they not publish their accomplishments??? Have they not met the standards???

Food for thought.
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:04 AM   #11
IC2

Being old fashioned in thinking, really like a conventional hitch. Yes, they can be heavy and can create a problem if you want to use your truck in ways other then hauling a 5er. I really like the idea that if I have a road breakdown, virtually any towing service can haul my RV off the road without a jury rig.

My personal choice is a B&W which I can still easily, in my 70s, install and replace. Additionally, in my Ford, it has a small footprint either in the Turnover or puck style. I can also just remove the head unit for some room.

I have no knowledge of how a Reese goose box works so no comment on that type.

I do NOT like the way the current Anderson Ultimate is made using aluminum whis csn be easily damaged nor do I feel the way that they have triangulated the construction is the strongest. And it takes up too much bed space. I also do not care for the hookup adapter arrangement. In the last few days we were at a CG where we could not have raised the 5er high enough to pull the truck out. Then there is that damage that Anderson did at Arches National Park last year ......
Old 09-26-2019, 11:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Being old fashioned in thinking, really like a conventional hitch. Yes, they can be heavy and can create a problem if you want to use your truck in ways other then hauling a 5er. I really like the idea that if I have a road breakdown, virtually any towing service can haul my RV off the road without a jury rig.

With the Goosebox, the connection to the truck is a ball. Pretty sure most towing companies can handle a ball - same as all the gooseneck trailers on the road. As far as the Andersen hitch - takes about a minute to pull the adapter off the pinbox, then you have a traditional hitch back. Either one should be pretty easy to get towed, no jury rigging involved.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:57 PM   #13

Had I known the original question would become a contest as to who's got the best hitch I would've stayed out of the whole discussion because they usually turn bad. It appeared to me the OP simply wanted our opinions and recommendations for a hitch, and I gave my opinions and one of the reasons why, which was the weight meant everything to me because I had to take it in and out all the time by myself.

At no time did I say my hitch was better than anyone else's, or question anyone else's opinion of why one hitch is better than another. But for some reason a couple of folks believe their hitch is a lot better than mine and had to point out how foolish I am for having a different opinion from theirs.

I'm very new here so maybe I didn't understand what kind of forum this is, but I certainly won't be here long if I have to justify every opinion I offer.

theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboondork. View Post
Had I known the original question would become a contest as to who's got the best hitch I would've stayed out of the whole discussion because they usually turn bad. It appeared to me the OP simply wanted our opinions and recommendations for a hitch, and I gave my opinions and one of the reasons why, which was the weight meant everything to me because I had to take it in and out all the time by myself.

At no time did I say my hitch was better than anyone else's, or question anyone else's opinion of why one hitch is better than another. But for some reason a couple of folks believe their hitch is a lot better than mine and had to point out how foolish I am for having a different opinion from theirs.

I'm very new here so maybe I didn't understand what kind of forum this is, but I certainly won't be here long if I have to justify every opinion I offer.

theboondork.com
There are many here who are not giving you an opinion, to them they are telling you how it should be done.

Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote