Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2011, 09:49 PM  

Which is best

I'm looking at buying a new 5th wheel. I've narrowed my search to Brookstone (367RL), Montana and Alpine! What are your thoughts on these?

Thanks on advance

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2011, 10:22 PM  

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Look at Excel is you want the best,,, but they are not entry level rigs

Old 10-15-2011, 06:19 AM  

Can you consider the Hartland product, great value and excelent service.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:14 AM  

Have an Alpine 3640rl from Holoman in Ohio no complaints and I know they have toe lowest prices

New 2012 Keystone RV Alpine 3600RS Fifth Wheels at Holman RV Batavia Ohio Holman RV

I have the 2010 model little different layout but love the extra room by the bed

mike
Old 10-15-2011, 11:52 AM  

You really need to look close at the weight and what kind of truck you have. I bought a 5th wheel that stated it was 11,900 dry weight, 13,500 loaded. I then bought my F-350 diesel/dually. I weighed the unit last week to see where I was at and the 5th wheel weighed in at 15,750 lbs! All we put into it was the usual dishes, food, cloths so I can't believe that stuff weighs 3,750 lbs.... This was with empty tanks too.... Be careful...
Old 10-15-2011, 09:43 PM  

I have a 2011 Brookstone 367RL and we love it. We have been fulltiming in it since we purchased it in July 2010. I choe it over the alpine because of fit & finish issues with the Alpine. The full body paint is a nice feature.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:06 PM  

Is there a reason you decided not to include DRV (Elite Suites/Mobile Suites/Select Suites)?
Old 10-18-2011, 12:28 AM  

I'm not sure they are in my price range.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:08 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo64 View Post
Is there a reason you decided not to include DRV (Elite Suites/Mobile Suites/Select Suites)?
Maybe he doesn't own a Peterbuilt to pull one....
Old 10-18-2011, 05:55 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
Maybe he doesn't own a Peterbuilt to pull one....
Old 10-18-2011, 08:59 PM  

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
jaru93,
You've obviously been doing some research to narrow it down as you have. Seems like your next step if you haven't already started is to look at each one in person. Keep a sharp eye on construction detail and don't be distracted by bling factors. Crawl under and on top of the rig looking at how things are put together. Look out for what might be questionable quality Chinese tires.

As a previous poster mentioned, be sure to take into consideration the limits of your truck. Dry weights are not meaningful for calculation purposes.

Measure each rig by the same criteria and keep in mind that floorplan may be a priority above many other considerations. Also be sure to look at each rig with the slides in to be sure you can access whatever you may want while traveling.

Good luck in your search.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:25 PM  

We currently own a Brookstone 367RL...loved it...but yesterday traded it in for an MVP Destiny 355 at an RV show. Don't get me wrong...the Brookstone itself was wonderful, loved the floorplan. In fact, the Destiny floorplan we chose is quite similar. Again, at the RV show yesterday, we looked at everything. Still like the Brookstone. BUT...we had major issues with Coachmen dealing with things on time. We had ordered the rig a YEAR ago at the last RV show.....but it came to us with no nightstand shelves on either side of the king bed. WE JUST GOT THEM...a few weeks ago. Our rig sat for WEEKS at the dealer's lot, waiting for the manufacturer to send them out. And there were other issues...again, not with the rig itself..but with the customer service. Cosmetic things that SHOULD have come correctly installed when it was delivered. Everything is now fixed...and we were able to get a good trade on it. But one thing about the floorplan we grew not to like, and we only discovered it as we used it. With the king bed...not enough space to get around the bed. Like getting up in the night to use the bathroom, I'd have to squeeze around the entire bed. It didn't bother me as much as it bothered my husband. The Destiny has the extra floorspace we need in the bedroom. Another big deciding factor for us, is that MVP is located near us, in CA, whereas Brookstone are made in IN. We decided with this latest rig, we wanted to live close to the factory, so should there ever be an issue, we could take it right in.
But as far as the Brookstone over the others you mentioned..I'd still choose the Brookstone, and hope that their customer service improves!
Old 10-23-2011, 02:45 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaru93 View Post
I'm looking at buying a new 5th wheel. I've narrowed my search to Brookstone (367RL), Montana and Alpine! What are your thoughts on these?

Thanks on advance

Jim
We are trading in our 2011 Brookstone 367RL for a 2012 Destiny 355RE. The Brookstone is a great coach, we just liked some of the features on the new Destiny better. We didn't like the Montana because most of the models had a sink in the bedroom. Someone should tell Montana they only need one sink, other than the kitchen, and it only belongs in the bathroom.

If you think you would really like the Brookstone 367RL and are willing to settle for a used 2011 in great condition, I'll make you a really great deal that will save us both lots of money. However, you will have to act within the next 6-8 weeks, that is when they anticipate my new coach being ready, and taking my current coach in trade. You would also have to be willing to come to Ventura County, Calif. If you are interested try contacting me via e-mail, ee4704@aol.com.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:01 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On most all of the 5ers now, you need to be really concerned about the tire and wheel size. The manufacturers are putting the absolute the minimum tires on these units.

I would ask for an up grade on the axles, wheels and tires to have a bit or reserve capacity. Also, if the tires are made in China, I would not roll the trailer off the lot.

And last, look for a frame by other than Liebert.

Ken

Tags
heartland