Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2018, 01:24 PM   #1

KZ RV Club
Which rides better 5th wheel or pull trailer

I am debating on which way to go . I really don't want to lose the bed space in the truck but I am incline to think the 5th wheel would have a nicer ride than the pull trailer and I can put up with the lost of space in the bed of the truck. Am I right in thinking this way. The pull trailer would have a lot of bounce action on the bumper than the 5th wheel is this correct . I have no experience with pulling 5th wheels but have pulled small trailers and remember the bumper action. Would appreciate the experienced point of view.

Thanks
Ken
Kenc1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2018, 01:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenc1325 View Post
I am debating on which way to go . I really don't want to lose the bed space in the truck but I am incline to think the 5th wheel would have a nicer ride than the pull trailer and I can put up with the lost of space in the bed of the truck. Am I right in thinking this way. The pull trailer would have a lot of bounce action on the bumper than the 5th wheel is this correct . I have no experience with pulling 5th wheels but have pulled small trailers and remember the bumper action. Would appreciate the experienced point of view.

Thanks
Ken
Generally, what space you lose in your PU bed with a 5th you gain in the 5th and possibly more.

Bounce, pull should not be an issue with either - a good weight distribution hitch handles that.

In my humble opinion there are other factors higher on the list.

Go to a RV dealer and view the options.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #3

5th wheel trailers are a lot better for towing than travel trailers. The pin weight is over the rear axle versus on the bumper for TT's which makes for a much better towing experience.

Why do you think 18 wheel Semi's use 5th wheel hitches? Nothing is better.
Oderus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:28 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Generally, what space you lose in your PU bed with a 5th you gain in the 5th and possibly more......

The OP might be talking about when he's not hauling the 5'er?
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:58 PM   #5

I had porpusing with my last TT and I have some chucking with my current 5th wheel. I don't think either are exempt from some feedback to the truck.
It's just that some combinations are better than others
I would rather have a little chucking and zero sway issues.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I had porpusing with my last TT and I have some chucking with my current 5th wheel. I don't think either are exempt from some feedback to the truck.
It's just that some combinations are better than others
I would rather have a little chucking and zero sway issues.
5th wheel is better. the pin weight is over the axle. also the the hitch for the 5th wheel is bolted to the frame in multiple places. the bumper pull is but at the tail end. the chucking etc many talk about can be eliminated. Simple answer Trailer Saver air ride hitch. the 5th wheel rides on a cushion of air and eliminates trailer to truck shock. are they pricey yes. are they worth it absolutely. ive done the air bag pin box. does it help yes. i went back to my original pin box. and went to the air ride hitch. now a pleaseant ride is all there is.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:50 PM   #7

I pull my 5th wheel with the Reese Goosebox. Its air ride and rides so much better than my previous travel trailer. No chucking at all, just a smooth ride that I have to look in the mirror just to make sure its still back there.
MorganT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:06 PM   #8

A fifth will ride smoother but its not like a TT will be bouncy or rough riding. If ride quality is the main criteria perhaps neither will be to your liking. Good luck.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
The OP might be talking about when he's not hauling the 5'er?
Anderson hitch - very light and easy to put in and out.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #10

...a lot of the equation in my mind is the tow vehicle--if you undersize your truck, neither rig will be "fun" to pull.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:53 PM   #11

Really depends on the road!
Bill
Old 08-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #12

I would think the ride quality and truck bed issues are secondary concerns to comparing a FW to a TT. Most people spend more time using the camper and only a limited time pulling the camper. A bigger concern is what size of a unit do you want and what layout are you looking for? Are you full time or a once in awhile weekender? Do you plan to camp in public parks which tend to be older with smaller size lots? Where do you plan to store the camper, example: 10' high pole barn? FW interior steps can be an issue for older folks.
Basically for pulling, a trailer is a trailer assuming they are set up properly. Now for backing up, a FW is easier. If ride quality is still your biggest concern, then look into suspension upgrades for either the FW or TT.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I would think the ride quality and truck bed issues are secondary concerns to comparing a FW to a TT. Most people spend more time using the camper and only a limited time pulling the camper. A bigger concern is what size of a unit do you want and what layout are you looking for? Are you full time or a once in awhile weekender? Do you plan to camp in public parks which tend to be older with smaller size lots? Where do you plan to store the camper, example: 10' high pole barn? FW interior steps can be an issue for older folks.
Basically for pulling, a trailer is a trailer assuming they are set up properly. Now for backing up, a FW is easier. If ride quality is still your biggest concern, then look into suspension upgrades for either the FW or TT.
Ride quality is extremely important IMO. The wife and I are planning some long trips next summer for when she retires. Sitting in a truck for 2-3 days straight while traveling across the U.S would get old if the truck is jerking around. We figured to be on the road all day for maybe 1-3 days at a time. Stopping for a few days to a week or so to site see.
Coming from the west coast and traveling thru areas like Neb, OK, TX or even in the northern U.S can get really boring looking at nothing all day.
I'd want the best ride possible.
Agree having a nice RV at the end of the day would also be a plus.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My truck rides much smoother with the trailer than when empty. No bouncing or other poor handling. Getting the hitch adjusted right as well as having enough truck for the job is what makes the difference.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, trailer