Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2019, 11:41 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by shippwreck View Post
F-250 Ford w tow package, is rated at 19000 pounds towing weight. 21,000 if diesel. The Super Duty comes with a number of features that make towing easier and safer. Some of these features include roll stability control, trailer sway control, an electronic locking rear differential, integrated trailer brake controller, and electronic stability control. These features serve to keep your trailer from swaying while underway, and help you maintain control of the load at all times. I should add that I love mine. Electric extending and folding mirrors are wonderful. I have the Pullrite slide for the fifth wheel and the adapter to set in the factory installed goose neck hitch. That leaves teh option for a clean bed when not towing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
That is correct, but the payload is potentially the issue, respectfully, not what it can "pull".

Why is it that the ONLY number look at is the magical MAX TOW RATING?????

Heck the tow rating for my 2016 Ram is north of 25,000#, but it a tandem axle 5er likely could not carry. If triple and at 15% I would have enough payload.
In addition that number starts going once you go beyond a regular cab, 4X2, stripper TV.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2019, 03:24 PM   #44

Get the DRW and a “disabled” parking permit - even if you have to disable yourself or a loved one to get the permit.
philiprmcgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:15 PM   #45

A newer 350/3500 is the minimum to pull something like that. Quite a few folks opt for the Ford 450, but they can be hard to find.

I have a neighbor pulling a Mobile Suites (16,300 dry/21,000 loaded) with a Ford, 350 diesel, crew cab. We live in the mountains and they are no problem. This year he crossed the 3 mile summit in Rocky Mountain NP.

Regarding bed size, I prefer an 8 foot bed with a large 5er - folks have been known to punch out their cab's rear window in the 6.5 foot bed. the shorty 5 foot bed is a non starter.
StageCoachDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:19 PM   #46

Interesting Thread & good info. Any thoughts or comparisons on how effectively the different vehicles in question stop these Rigs, especially in the mountains.
stever88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:08 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarPatch View Post
Just purchased a new Grand Design Solitude 377 MBS with a max GVW of 16800# & a pin weight of around 3000#.

I have previously run Chevy with Duramax & Allison but changed to a Ram with the Aisin, power wise & transmission it is good but headlights are a joke and the mirrors not much better.

I test drove a ford and really liked it but just wondered about the power through the mountains.

I often work in a city so I am looking at short wheelbase 3500 SRW, crew cabs that are fairly loaded.

What are your thoughts & experience with the various trucks.

Thanks
I agree with the power and performance with the 6.7 Ford diesel.
I’ve had two 6.7 F450 CC long bed pickups and if you plan to tow a lot of heavy loads you can’t beat it. The F450 long bed has a 6’ tighter turning radius than anything in its class even its little brother the F350 and 6” tighter than a F250 CC short bed. Check the specks on trucks and compare. I do believe you are in the class of truck requiring duals to safely tow your trailer. I have done it with single wheel trucks but definitely not as comfortable towing.
Regardless if you are more comfortable with a different Brand of truck, Ford, Chevy, or Ram all make very good trucks with respectable tow ratings. I would recommend a heavy dually truck over a single wheel truck.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:20 PM   #48

I think you better double check the ratings on a SRW truck, a 3000# pin weight is probably max for a SRW truck, plus you have to figure passenger weight, plus the stuff you’ll put in the bed, plus what you put into the trailer. You’re probably looking at closer to 3800# in the bed. If I were you I’d seriously be looking at the DRW truck, I know they’re less maneuverable but you don’t want to be overloaded both for safety and insurance reasons in case of an accident. Your insurance co. Could deny a claim if they find you were over weight for your truck.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:32 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
skip the light duty and get a MDT. Used sportchassis or a 550 dodge would be a truck not in need of upgrade for a long time. 5ver upgrade no worries already have the truck. no payload worries either.
I agree. I got into my c4500 cheaper than I could find any 3500 or 350 or ram. Maybe just lucky. Bigger brakes , factory hitches, bells n whistles n horns too.
Safer all around and amazing turn radius
Old 09-08-2019, 06:20 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever88 View Post
Interesting Thread & good info. Any thoughts or comparisons on how effectively the different vehicles in question stop these Rigs, especially in the mountains.
They dont, thats what trailer brakes are for.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:04 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarPatch View Post
Just purchased a new Grand Design Solitude 377 MBS with a max GVW of 16800# & a pin weight of around 3000#.

I have previously run Chevy with Duramax & Allison but changed to a Ram with the Aisin, power wise & transmission it is good but headlights are a joke and the mirrors not much better.

I test drove a ford and really liked it but just wondered about the power through the mountains.

I often work in a city so I am looking at short wheelbase 3500 SRW, crew cabs that are fairly loaded.

What are your thoughts & experience with the various trucks.

Thanks

I drive a 2016 F-350 crew cab long bed. Towed a 27 foot Hideout to Montana from Tacoma twice throu the Rockies via I-90 and never sat behind anyone on the passes. Averaged 12 mpg the first trip with very low miles on the engine. The second trip was so bad with a head wind I can't guess the mileage. I average 15 in town and over 22 on the freeway now not towing with 48000 miles on now. Can not complain on the torque or the pulling power.
craigtoups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
On paper i dont think thats true. The 350 and 450 both use the m300 rear and i actually think the 350 has better payload numbers, but thats just on paper.
Are you kidding me? You believe that the 450 has less capacity than the 350? You need to do some actual research. I don’t understand your last sentence at all. Please explain it and let us know where the info is coming from.
Kinda strange that Ford uses the max figures from the 450 to boast about payload and towing capability. I guess it’s possible that there engineers are just ignorant.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:53 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Are you kidding me? You believe that the 450 has less capacity than the 350? You need to do some actual research. I don’t understand your last sentence at all. Please explain it and let us know where the info is coming from.
Kinda strange that Ford uses the max figures from the 450 to boast about payload and towing capability. I guess it’s possible that there engineers are just ignorant.
What dont you understand? You seem to think your smarter than me so whats hard to understand? If you read all the words in my post you wouldve also understand that i only think theres a possibility that could be true. I never said it was for sure 100% true. Youre on a forum. There are words here, it isnt youtube. Youre going to have to learn to read a little better.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:47 PM   #54

Quote:
On paper i dont think thats true. The 350 and 450 both use the m300 rear and i actually think the 350 has better payload numbers, but thats just on paper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Quote:
What dont you understand? You seem to think your smarter than me so whats hard to understand? If you read all the words in my post you wouldve also understand that i only think theres a pCossibility that could be true. I never said it was for sure 100% true. Youre on a forum. There are words here, it isnt youtube. Youre going to have to learn to read a little better.

Well I am afraid to say that Jshopes81 is correct. The F350 and the F450 both have a max GVWR of 14,000#, the F450 has a heaver construction so a smaller listed "On Paper" payload.
Not sure how this happened, if Ford reclassified the F450 to a class 3 truck, or if it always was a class 3 and the Class 3 F350 GVWR finally caught up to the F450, or if the F450 was a class 4 and Ford lowered it to a Class 3 for registration and insurance reasons. I could google it, but it is too late tonight.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:54 AM   #55

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your pin weight is going to be a minimum of 20% which is 3300#! I’d look for a truck with at least 4K payload to have some safety room and make it a dually! I’m driving a 2015 F350 DRW, 5860 payload, towing an 18k Landmark 5W. Bought it with 38k and now at 96k! Exhaust filter just went South. New one is $3600 plus installation but other than that it’s a great truck. Towing full time wears stuff out quicker but we’re loving it!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:44 AM   #56

Long bed dually regardless of the brand. Period.
oldretiredafguy is offline   Reply With Quote