Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
White crystallized stuff

I have a travel trailer parked at a campground most of the time, and every time I come back after awhile, I am seeing white crystallized stuff in piles on the counter, table and floor! It looks like it is coming mostly from where the vents are at, but I am also finding it inside one of the cabinets! Any ideas?

cindyrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What was the trailer used for prior to you getting it? Is it a powder or a crystal? If you have a friendly LEO, you might ask him to stop by and check a sample.

No seriously, hopefully it is some construction residue. Get a shop vacuum and vacuum all of the apparent sources and see if it improves things.

And if you start getting really happy and spaced out, you probably want to stop vacuuming...

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
You need figure out the composition of the powder. Mix some with water, what happens? does it float, sink or dissolve. Scrape some up in a piece of aluminum foil and take it out side. Touch the powder with a flame (match or BBQ lighter) If it melts and smells chemical, may be foam residue or does it burn and smells like paper or wood? I found blue dust piles from carpenter ants as they tunneled thru the foam in the walls in my MH. Carpenter ants will dump garbage(food waste and stuff) at one spot making piles. They eat fungus that lives on WET wood and it might mean you have a water leak
Have Flyrod Will Travel
87 Coachman Leprechaun
ischua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check this thread.
clueless campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Could be carpenter ants in the wood, but there are other types of ants that will bore into foam board to make a nest. Since most of the residue is under vents, they may be boring into the A/C duct which is likely made of rigid foam. They could be anywhere along the duct but the residue is falling out the vents. You should remove an A/C vent and run you hand or a wet paper towel along the inside of the duct to see if you find more of the same residue.

Had a similiar problem with foam board on a corner of my garage, the residue was right at the corner, but after removing the exterior siding, I had to replace several square feet of the foam board. The silver foil skin easily pulled away to reveal tunnels all thru the foam.
Larry Day, Texas Baptist Men volunteer
'13 Silverado LT 3500HD D/A CCSB 2wd, custom RKI bed
'11 Crossroads Cruiser 32MK loaded
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:27 AM   #6
Thank you!

The stuff that is coming out does look like it could be foam board particles! I will check it out! Thanks!
cindyrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by clueless campers View Post
I don't think "clueless campers" are clueless on this one.

I too think it's insects of some sort.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 AM   #8
We found the same thing ... turned out to be Ants ... a little bug spray and it seems they're gone ... for now ...

Why do ants like trailers? .... we don't keep any food in it ... Maybe the ants are attracted to the Formaldehyde ..
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
We had the same problem in a Jayco Class C. Carpenter ants were actually in sight at times. I bought the little plastic bait stations and left them around and it got rid of the ants.
Unfortunately the ants were there because unknown to us the camper had had a roof leak prior to us buying it. It later started leaking again and we found damage within the walls and ceiling. The camper was ruined.
The previous post was correct. Suspect damage within your ceiling and CHECK YOUR ROOF!
n9iui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
Originally Posted by GPW
We found the same thing ... turned out to be Ants ... a little bug spray and it seems they're gone ... for now ...

Why do ants like trailers? .... we don't keep any food in it ... Maybe the ants are attracted to the Formaldehyde ..
The ants like rotten wood.

n9iui is offline   Reply With Quote