Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #15
Originally Posted by mick View Post
If you are looking for permission to tow overloaded etc, put the public at risk and your family and you, GO AHEAD, I will allow you to.
My original question, was a simple question. No need to get nasty. Not everyone is running a mobile home down the road : )

timberframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Timberframe, all too often we see someone with a 1/2 ton truck wanting to pull way too much trailer for a 1/2 ton truck. They search the net and finally find a few others pulling too much trailer with a 1/2 ton truck....I guess safety in numbers, off they go to get the big trailer based on someone that pulls it 20 miles to the summer site and 20 miles back during the winter. This hardly qualifies as towing.

But with the above said, a properly equipped 1/2 ton truck is capable of towing an appropiately sized trailer. Most of the 1/2 ton vehicels on the delaers lot, are not set up for the maximum towing ratings, so you need to know what engine, axle, towing package etc. you have to determine your tow rating.

A lot of the peopel that start out with a 1/2 ton truck and a trailer near it's limits will move to a 3/4 ton truck within a year or two.

So the wise thing to do is to get your trucks specs and work through the numbers and shop for the trailer that it can tow when the trailer is loaded.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #17
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Just let us know where you'll be towing so the rest of us can stay away.
Hey mhs4771 et al, just wanted to let you know I'll be in Western NY next week towing my FW with my 1/2t truck, so please stay off the roads lest I cause you damage in some way .
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #18
Ford Super Duty Owner
The whole term "half ton" is so varied from what it was years ago, that a comparision is very hard if not impossible to do.
To demonstrate just how confusing the whole "What is a half ton pickup" has become, You just need to look at the specs for 70's half tons and later model Rangers, S-10, Dakotas, Colorados.....

To the OP,
Just buy a big enough truck (1/2 ton or whatever) it takes to tow what you want and drive with your brain engauged in drive.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #19
Originally Posted by timberframe View Post
Who out there is towing their 5ers long distances using a 1/2 ton truck? What is the gross weight you are towing? Do you feel you should be using a 3/4 ton? We appreciate your opinion.
To quote a good friend of mine "the pulling is not the problem the stopping is."

I pulled a 5th wheel FRP/Aluminum 30' horse trailer with a Ford F150 (with factory towing package) for years south and east of Atlanta on fairly flat land. I had full living quarters and one horse. The day I added the 2nd horse and tack and traveled over Monteagle, Tennessee I sold the F150 and bought a Dodge 3500 Cummings. God was good that day he got me up and down that mountain but the little F150 was tuckered out and I was tired of worrying about the runaway sand pits.
Loving My RV
2005 Dolphin 6355 LX W24
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #20
My old '92 fleetwood Avion slide has been binding on the top right hand corner on retraction. The last couple of times used I've had to use force to help on extension and it seems to bind up when retracting. We recently had the room seal replaced because the upper right portion of the seal was literally shredded. Could the new seal be causing this to bind? Has anybody run into this?

VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote