Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #1

Who is towing with a 1/2 ton truck???

Who out there is towing their 5ers long distances using a 1/2 ton truck? What is the gross weight you are towing? Do you feel you should be using a 3/4 ton? We appreciate your opinion.
timberframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Opinions are worth what you are paying for them. Do the numbers...GVWR, GCWR, cargo capacity, etc...then decide on an appropriate TV. IMHO, you should get the RV first, then you will know for sure what you will be towing before getting a truck.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Opinions are worth what you are paying for them. Do the numbers...GVWR, GCWR, cargo capacity, etc...then decide on an appropriate TV. IMHO, you should get the RV first, then you will know for sure what you will be towing before getting a truck.
Also, if you are thinking of buying the Montana you asked about on 6/10/12 and pulling it with a half ton it ain't gonna happen. 250/2500 min more likely a 350/3500.
Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #4

5er first, then match up a tow vehicle and not by any salesman's advice, but by the numbers. If you already have the half ton, consider a travel trailer over the 5er. I have towed travel trailers with a half ton, but wouldn't even consider a half, even for the lightest 5er out there.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Risk takers are.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #6

I am not recommending one brand over another, but I do use the Ram Body Builders Guide for most of my recommendations for towing.
I have attached the link here for your review.
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/year.pdf
Click on truck and year than click on the icon of whatever body style you would like to check out. Than under Technical Information you will fine: Base Weights/GCVW/Payload/Trailer Tow, this should provide all of the information you need such as GAWR (axle loads), GVW and trailer weights.
Hope this helps to provide the information you need to make an intelligent decision.
Jim W.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #7

I tow a 5th wheel with a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 360 motor. The 5th weighs 4000 lbs loaded. It's 24 feet with no slide. I changed the 392 rear gears to 456's and I use a superchips with the tow mode. It does fine but I wouldn't want any heavier trailer with this truck. If I ever go to a bigger trailer I will need a bigger truck.
Radargilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #8

I've towed with various size trucks since the late '50s including several 1/2 ton trucks.

I towed a brand new '84 26' Aljo 5th wheel that grossed 6800-6850 lbs with a '80 1/2 ton chevy all over the Rockies for over 6 years. The newer 1/2 ton trucks have a much greater payload and tow ratings.

I've never wondred what anyone else was towing/hauling. I simply match up the truck payload with the trailer max hitch weight and the trailers gross weight compared to the trucks tow ratings.

The rambodybuilder with a clicky is the best sourse for the Dodge. GM has a online ordering guide complete with a weights calculator that eliminates guessing at std/options weights for any particular truck configuration.
Ford has a fleet/Ford website with the latest weight specs from Ford.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #9

The question is - what 5th wheel has a pin weight that will not over load the RAWR of a 1/2 ton? Then follow that with - what 5th weighs little enough to not over extend the CGVWR of a 1/2 ton? There are some but you have to look far and wide to find them. They are going to be ultra light, and not have many slides (add weight). I would rather see you find a 5th wheel that you like then determine what tow vehicle can handle it. What you should do is ask the dealer to weigh the 5th on his TV (if he wont do this then find a dealer who will, he cares about your safety not the one who wont). From his figures determine the actual weight of the 5'er and the pin weight. Now you have the numbers to use with the TRUCK MANUFACTURER'S posted weight ratings for a particular model to determine which one to purchase. Remember also you can get over weight on tire ratings so make sure the tires on the 5'er and truck are up to snuff. There are so many items to check that many rigs fail on one item or another when they are weighed by a professional RV weighing company. RAWR, CGVWR, 5'er axle weight ratings, tire weight rating and a couple of others. So you see how easy it is to get confused or not realize you are over on one of them.
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #10

I do; see my sig. It does okay, but I should get a bigger truck. But, we're in the market for a much bigger FW and a 350/3500 to pull it.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #11

If you are looking for permission to tow overloaded etc, put the public at risk and your family and you, GO AHEAD, I will allow you to.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #12

Just let us know where you'll be towing so the rest of us can stay away.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #13

When we purchased our 1991 Excel (29ft no slide), we pulled with a 2008 CC F150 for a few short trips. The retired couple that owned it darn near since new, pulled it south every year with 2wd half tons and never had any trouble. We have 3 kids and a boat, so after 2 short trips to the lake we decided to upgrade tow vehicles. That load was just alittle too much for me to risk anyones safety. We currently pull with a F350 CC Dsl. We also knew we'd probably upgrade 5th wheels, and with the 1 ton we knew we could pull anything we'd ever care too. Ended up finding a real nice 2008 Copper Canyon, that we "could" have pulled with the F150 as long as we left the kids and boat at home. I guess I'm a believer in you can't really have too much truck....weather or not you "need" that much truck depends on your situation. I'm happy with what we purchased as it fits our needs well, I guess it depends on how much extra stuff you take with.
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
Also, if you are thinking of buying the Montana you asked about on 6/10/12 and pulling it with a half ton it ain't gonna happen. 250/2500 min more likely a 350/3500.
I kind of lost my desire on buying the Montana. I did some reading and it seems there was a problem with frame flex back until mid 2007.
timberframe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing