Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2016, 06:44 PM   #15

As for the dually as a daily driver, I have a 01 gmc crew cab dually as a daily driver and I've learned very quickly that it's really no harder than driving my 1/2 ton. If the mirrors fit, the back fits. Yea I hit a curb every once in a parking, but it's a learning curve.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2016, 06:52 PM   #16

Too much cheap OSB board in Montana HC for me. I want plywood and better materials.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:49 PM   #17

Timon, have you seen the Montana front kitchen floor plan?

Regan & Raegan Nielsen
Magna Utah

2005 F150 Supercrew

1995 Terry 25G 5er
Regannielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:15 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Open range, Grand design and prime time come to mind.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regannielsen View Post
Timon, have you seen the Montana front kitchen floor plan?
Yep, and take a nice plan although it's heavier than I'd like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Too much cheap OSB board in Montana HC for me. I want plywood and better materials.
if your speaking of the roof and floor I believe both are Marine grade OSB which is very hardy material and in many cases better than plywood. However I need to double check this.

Grand Design has a model close to the MHC 353RL but it's a couple feet shorter which is considerable.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #20

You don't need a class a license. There are no "quality" 5ers that are less than 12,000 pounds. Mine is 12,500, 17,000 max. Registered in california with no problem. For a quality build with less weight, you need a shorter residential trailer.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:36 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
You don't need a class a license. There are no "quality" 5ers that are less than 12,000 pounds. Mine is 12,500, 17,000 max. Registered in california with no problem. For a quality build with less weight, you need a shorter residential trailer.
Beg to differ with you but that not how it is in CA

To legally tow a 5th wheel with a GVWR between 10,001 and 15,000 you need a Class C license with an RV endorsement which is just a written test.

To legally tow a 5th wheel with a GVWR of 15,001 or more you need a non-commercial Class A license.

Note I said GVWR, it doesn't matter what your actual weight is, only the GVWR matters when it comes to what license you need.

This is a fact period. If your pulling a 5th wheel in those weight ranges without the above licenses and/or endorsements you are towing illegally.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regannielsen View Post
So, between this conversation and another similar one I'm on. It seems to me that everyone has a different opinion on what, who or when you should buy. The best thing you can do is your home work. Get the best quality you can afford. Make the best deal on the sale that you can and hopefully all will work out for you.

Make sure you check everything from bumper to bumper when you buy it. Have the dealer or person have it plugged in with the fridge running. Make sure the A/C, Furnace and all appliances work before you take delivery and use it as much as you can during the warranty period if there is one.

Don't be afraid to ask questions make notes as you think of them and make as many trips to look at trailers as you need to. Remember, you are the one with the money and there are a lot of people who want it. If your not comfortable with a dealership or a salesman there is another one down the road.

Good luck on your decision and please let us know how your experience is and what you get.

Regan & Raegan Nielsen
Magna Utah

2005 F150 Supercrew

1995 Terry 25G 5er
Well said!
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:01 AM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Beg to differ with you but that not how it is in CA

To legally tow a 5th wheel with a GVWR between 10,001 and 15,000 you need a Class C license with an RV endorsement which is just a written test.

To legally tow a 5th wheel with a GVWR of 15,001 or more you need a non-commercial Class A license.

Note I said GVWR, it doesn't matter what your actual weight is, only the GVWR matters when it comes to what license you need.

This is a fact period. If your pulling a 5th wheel in those weight ranges without the above licenses and/or endorsements you are towing illegally.
That's probably why a lot of light 5ers have a GVWR of 9950 & 9995. I thought that was odd while looking at trailers...but being a Texas resident I don't have to watch that.
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
That's probably why a lot of light 5ers have a GVWR of 9950 & 9995. I thought that was odd while looking at trailers...but being a Texas resident I don't have to watch that.
Actually, having to take the written test so you can pull a fiver up to 15,000 isn't a big deal as the test is fairly simple.

It's scheduling the test and finding a rig and a driver to get to one of the few DMV commercial Class A and B testing site, they give the noncommercial test as well, plus the hassles. Then the cost taking medical test that the PITA.

If it was the actual weight it would be different but they base it on the GVWR of the trailer.

The other part of this is all of the crap you have to figure out when you go to license your F350 or Ram 3500. That's enough to make a grown man cry. No one can give you a straight answer how to do that correctly.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
Or could it be the springs, tires, et aren't rated for more?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:10 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post

It's scheduling the test and finding a rig and a driver to get to one of the few DMV commercial Class A and B testing site, they give the noncommercial test as well, plus the hassles. Then the cost taking medical test that the PITA.

The other part of this is all of the crap you have to figure out when you go to license your F350 or Ram 3500. That's enough to make a grown man cry. No one can give you a straight answer how to do that correctly.
I now have the Class A non-commercial license. Yes, it was a PITA. To make the appt for the written test the wait was 3 months in SoCal. I drove to Blythe and just walked in. The driving test requires that you have your own rig. I was able to drive to a commercial test site without a co-driver. PM me if interested in the details.

What problems did you have in licensing your truck? I had nothing special. Just a normal registration. BTW, I'm in Running Springs.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #27

One more thing. For the CA Class A non-commercial medical test there is no cost. You just download the form from the DMV site and fill it out yourself. Give it to the tester when you take your license test and mail it in after that. No Dr's signiture required.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
I now have the Class A non-commercial license. Yes, it was a PITA. To make the appt for the written test the wait was 3 months in SoCal. I drove to Blythe and just walked in. The driving test requires that you have your own rig. I was able to drive to a commercial test site without a co-driver. PM me if interested in the details.

What problems did you have in licensing your truck? I had nothing special. Just a normal registration. BTW, I'm in Running Springs.
My understanding was that the written could be done in any DMV office and only the driving needed to be done at one of the special sites.

Driving test either in your own rig or one a dealer, yea as if that's going to happen, or friend will loan you.

It's the extra fees they want to sock you with.
  • First they want you to get a Motor Carrier Permit number from the CHP which by law you don't need but most don't know that.
  • Then they want to charge you a CVRA weight fee, if your truck GVWR is more than 10,000 pounds, for how much you're going to carry, you get to choose this, in your truck and how heavy a trailer you'll be pulling. This is the tough one since some say you need it and some say no.
  • Then they want to put CVRA Weight Decals and CVRA Year Stickers on your door.
  • Then if you're pulling your 5th wheel RV by a truck stop you don't have to stop but if you're driving without it a 3500 or F350 is not considered a pickup so you have to stop. If you don't they'll chase you down. Only saving grace is the CHP likely won't ticket you once you tell them you are not commercial but use the truck to pull your RV. Pictures help.
  • If you're missing those CVRA stickers they likely will ticket you. And if you happen to pull in to a weigh station with your RV and you're over the CVRA sticker rating you may, unclear at this point, get ticketed.
Bottom line is that CA makes it really hard to own a big truck and pull a 5th wheel but easy for someone with a motorhome. I love California but hate all of the crap the CA government does.

Could CA fix this? Yes, and very easily. Just change so you don't need the weight fees if you're legally NOT required to get a Motor Carrier Permit and set a fine of $10,000 if you are required and you don't. Real simple but it's never going to happen and they will just keep screwing the larger RV trailer owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
One more thing. For the CA Class A non-commercial medical test there is no cost. You just download the form from the DMV site and fill it out yourself. Give it to the tester when you take your license test and mail it in after that. No Dr's signiture required.
I could be wrong but I believe that changed this year and you now need a doctor to issue it.

Tags
5th wheel, quality