Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2016, 07:40 PM   #29

Texas Boomers Club
I Love Texas...lol

Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
My understanding was that the written could be done in any DMV office and only the driving needed to be done at one of the special sites.

TRUE

Driving test either in your own rig or one a dealer, yea as if that's going to happen, or friend will loan you.

MAYBE, I DON'T KNOW

It's the extra fees they want to sock you with.
  • First they want you to get a Motor Carrier Permit number from the CHP which by law you don't need but most don't know that.
  • Then they want to charge you a CVRA weight fee, if your truck GVWR is more than 10,000 pounds, for how much you're going to carry, you get to choose this, in your truck and how heavy a trailer you'll be pulling. This is the tough one since some say you need it and some say no.
  • Then they want to put CVRA Weight Decals and CVRA Year Stickers on your door.
  • Then if you're pulling your 5th wheel RV by a truck stop you don't have to stop but if you're driving without it a 3500 or F350 is not considered a pickup so you have to stop. If you don't they'll chase you down. Only saving grace is the CHP likely won't ticket you once you tell them you are not commercial but use the truck to pull your RV. Pictures help.
  • If you're missing those CVRA stickers they likely will ticket you. And if you happen to pull in to a weigh station with your RV and you're over the CVRA sticker rating you may, unclear at this point, get ticketed.
TIMON, THE ABOVE IS JUST INCORRECT! MAYBE FOR A COMMERCIAL LICENSE, BUT NOT FOR A NON -COMMERCIAL.

Could CA fix this? Yes, and very easily. Just change so you don't need the weight fees if you're legally NOT required to get a Motor Carrier Permit and set a fine of $10,000 if you are required and you don't. Real simple but it's never going to happen and they will just keep screwing the larger RV trailer owners.
The GVWR of my truck is 14000 lbs and I don't know if I paid any weight fees. But since I don't tow for pay I don't need any Motor Carrier Permit. It looks like the Commercial class A got merged with your Non-Commerical class A information.

rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:50 PM   #31

Rkseans, I've read the code several times on the decals and weight fees. Taken on face value I'm correct but again even the CHP and DMV give you different answers. It's a total mess that needs to be cleared up. Look up CVRA fees tell us how you read the code.

Same when it comes to entering the scales. Again it's a mess that needs to be fixed. At least when it comes to the scales be it law or not most CHP officers will let you go free.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:53 AM   #32

I love wi, no nutty laws to confuse us por people.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:16 AM   #33

Timon - - The code you read does not apply to RV's. It is not a total mess unless it is made so. Also, what scales. RV's do not enter scales.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #34

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Please excuse my pun but you may be looking for an "Oxymoron".
Agree.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
Timon - - The code you read does not apply to RV's. It is not a total mess unless it is made so. Also, what scales. RV's do not enter scales.
First, scales. The CHP commercial enforcement said that you are required to pull in to the scales when your NOT pulling your 5th wheel RV and you have a truck the size of a F350 or 3500. Your truck is only considered an RV when it's actually pulling your RV. If you're not towing or towing a non RV trailer you're required to stop.

When it comes to the CRVA it's true that RVs are exempt BUT your F350 truck isn't an RV so it's not exempt. If you have something to prove me wrong on this please post it as I very much want to read it.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
First, scales. The CHP commercial enforcement said that you are required to pull in to the scales when your NOT pulling your 5th wheel RV and you have a truck the size of a F350 or 3500. Your truck is only considered an RV when it's actually pulling your RV. If you're not towing or towing a non RV trailer you're required to stop.

When it comes to the CRVA it's true that RVs are exempt BUT your F350 truck isn't an RV so it's not exempt. If you have something to prove me wrong on this please post it as I very much want to read it.
Say what....You mean if I am visiting (from Texas) [Moderator Edit] , and parked my RV and out sight seeing in my F350, I have to stop at the scales?

And yes, my wife and I both have the Texas Class A Exempt licenses.

I guess that is another reason to bypass CA.

Ken
Old 09-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #37

All I have is a class d license. Don't need exemption, tests nothing to tow a 5ver in WI. I thought IL was money hungry?
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #38

Quote:

Whatever. The next thing you'll say is that we need a DOT number on our truck. Suggest that you settle on pulling a Casita with an F150.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #39

California definition of a pickup. Most if not all California weight stations are posted "No pickups".

"PICKUP -- It depends on the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), unladen weight, and bed of the truck.

GVWR under 11,500 pounds, unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length -- NO.
GVWR 11,500 pounds or more, unladen weight 8,001 pounds or more, or not equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length -- YES."

Now, as a practical matter, I have lived in CA 18 years and have seen countless 1 ton duallies pass weight stations, including myself, and never seen one stopped down the road. Generally speaking, I think they have better things to do. But Timon is correct, they can if they want to.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #40

I pulled my 3500 and 17000 lb trailer into the scales in line with all the semi's to get a weight on it and the scale operator told me to get the hell out of there. They do not want rvs pulling in. In 40 years of towing have never pulled into scales with a non commercial vehicle. I have held my class A for 40 years driving commercial vehicles.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:21 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Say what....You mean if I am visiting (from Texas) [Moderator Edit], and parked my RV and out sight seeing in my F350, I have to stop at the scales?

And yes, my wife and I both have the Texas Class A Exempt licenses.

I guess that is another reason to bypass CA.

Ken
I'm talking about CA registered vehicles only. It's all in how you're registered. If TX says your a pickup CA can't say you're not and can't expect you to follow CAs definition of a pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
Whatever. The next thing you'll say is that we need a DOT number on our truck. Suggest that you settle on pulling a Casita with an F150.
Read the law, especially the one on the CRVA, and don't guess. Never said it's fair, can't say the CHP will go after you but they can, I'm just stating the law. So if you haven't taken the time to read it then don't comment because you have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin View Post
California definition of a pickup. Most if not all California weight stations are posted "No pickups".

"PICKUP -- It depends on the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), unladen weight, and bed of the truck.

GVWR under 11,500 pounds, unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length -- NO.
GVWR 11,500 pounds or more, unladen weight 8,001 pounds or more, or not equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length -- YES."

Now, as a practical matter, I have lived in CA 18 years and have seen countless 1 ton duallies pass weight stations, including myself, and never seen one stopped down the road. Generally speaking, I think they have better things to do. But Timon is correct, they can if they want to.
I agree and even the CHP said that it's unlikely they will chase you down but it's possible that some officer just might especially if he had nothing else to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane wood View Post
I pulled my 3500 and 17000 lb trailer into the scales in line with all the semi's to get a weight on it and the scale operator told me to get the hell out of there. They do not want rvs pulling in. In 40 years of towing have never pulled into scales with a non commercial vehicle. I have held my class A for 40 years driving commercial vehicles.
That's what I said, if you're pulling your RV trailer they don't want you coming in and you're not required to. It's if you're empty and you're CA registered by the letter of the law you're required to come in load or no load. OMT, if you're pulling your boat or horse trailer you are required to some in.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:48 AM   #42

Quote:

From the 2015 California Driver License Handbook:

This handbook is primarily for a basic Class C driver license.
Class C driver license -
You may drive a:
2-axle vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less.

This is the same as most other states in the U.S. I hardly think an F350 or 3500 anything will tip the scales at 26,001lbs by itself.

Thus, no CDL required, no scale required when empty.

You do, however, need additional certification for towing a:

With a vehicle weighing 4,000lbs. or more unladen, you may tow a:
5th-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. but under 15,000 lbs. GVWR, when towing is not for compensation, and with endorsement.
But, this is still covered under the Class C license, so no CDL and no scales required.
This is for California licensed drivers only.

Later.

Tags
5th wheel, quality