Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2016, 10:22 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Softail View Post
[/COLOR]

From the 2015 California Driver License Handbook:

This handbook is primarily for a basic Class C driver license.
Class C driver license -
• You may drive a:
– 2-axle vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less.

This is the same as most other states in the U.S. I hardly think an F350 or 3500 anything will tip the scales at 26,001lbs by itself.

Thus, no CDL required, no scale required when empty.

You do, however, need additional certification for towing a:

With a vehicle weighing 4,000lbs. or more unladen, you may tow a:
5th-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. but under 15,000 lbs. GVWR, when towing is not for compensation, and with endorsement.
But, this is still covered under the Class C license, so no CDL and no scales required.
This is for California licensed drivers only.

Later.
That's totally correct for the license you require to have ignorer to drive the truck under the stated conditions but that's only half the story.

The CVRA is a totally different animal and it can be a royal PIA for those that have large trucks that are for private use only and mainly for towing our RVs.

Since several doubt my information I'll post the link to the code ANY F350 or Dodge 3500 falls under. It's called the COMMERCIAL VEHICLES VEHICLE INDUSTRY REGISTRATION PROCEDURES and it covers who needs to register under the CVRA.

The other code that in the past you could have been told you needed, but really didn't, is the Motor Carrier Permit (MCP). This is no longer the case as stated in the Frequently Asked Questions because the law was made clear at the beginning of 2016 as it was changed to include this line "Motor trucks or two-axle truck tractors, with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds, when operated singly, or when used to tow a camp or utility trailer, a trailer coach, a fifth-wheel travel trailer, or a trailer designed to transport a watercraft, and is never operated commercially. (This provision becomes operative on January 1, 2016.)".

So back to the CVRA. The CVRA does carve out an exception for recreational vehicles however it never actually states that trucks that fall under the CVRA are exempt for RVs as it did for "Equipment Excluded from Weight Declaration (Implements of Husbandry)" which states:
Quote:
The declared GVW of a truck subject to CVRA may exclude the CGW of the towed vehicle when all of the following are true:
  • The vehicle is owned by a farmer, operated by the farmer or his/her employee and, used only for conducting agricultural business.
  • In that business, the truck pulls (tows) an implement of husbandry or special equipment (SE) plated vehicle.
This could have been done if they had added something like:
Quote:
The declared GVW of a truck subject to CVRA may exclude the CGW of the towed vehicle when all of the following are true:
  • The vehicle is owned by a private person for their personal use.
  • Is only used transport personal property or to tow a camp or utility trailer, a trailer coach, a fifth-wheel travel trailer, or a trailer designed to transport a watercraft, and is never operated commercially.
I only see two choices. Pay the extra fees or fill out form 4008 DECLARATION OF GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT (GVW)/ COMBINED GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT (CGW) and state your intent to always be under 10,001 pounds and assume that RV don't count since RV are excluded. If a CHP officer sites you maybe you can get the judge to agree with you. If not you could be out several thousand dollars. Oh let me state again. I've had the DMV and CHP give different answers on this issue. Some say you do need to declare the weight of your RV and other say you don't. At this point you're on your own.

So there it is in black and white. If someone can find a loophole PLEASE DO! I'd love to see this shot down. I'm going to ask my state representative if they would consider trying to change the law.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #44
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
And I thought TX law was confusing!
Old 09-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
And I thought TX law was confusing!
Why you think we call California the Nanny state.

nanny |ˈnanē|
noun (pl. nannies)
a person or institution regarded as interfering and overprotective.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CA let's you drive "any housecar" up to 40' on the basic Class C license. Not so in many other states that use the 26,000lb GVWR to mandate a license upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Say what....You mean if I am visiting...and out sight seeing in my F350, I have to stop at the scales...
The Dr (above) is right...Pick-ups are exempted from the scales by signage. I have never seen a CA Weigh Station that did not have this signage:

Click image for larger version

Name:	4287679876_3e18e7e668.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	138162

If you enter, they will just "green light" you to move along...this from witnessing a paranoid travel partner who did not see the sign.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The Dr (above) is right...Pick-ups are exempted from the scales by signage. I have never seen a CA Weigh Station that did not have this signage:

Attachment 138162

If you enter, they will just "green light" you to move along...this from witnessing a paranoid travel partner who did not see the sign.

Safe travels
Actually, not always true based on the California definition of Pickup Truck. A F350 or Ram 3500 is not a pickup truck as defined by California. However someone from out of state wouldn't know that so just keep trucking. A California resident should know that and would be expected to stop unless pulling an RV.

As I said before, you need to read CA law the mess that it is.

CA Definition of Pickup Truck:
A “pickup truck” is a motor truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and which is equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length.  “Pickup truck” does not include a motor vehicle otherwise meeting the above definition, that is equipped with a bed-mounted storage compartment unit commonly called a “utility body.”
Old 09-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had a F350 for 21 years...now have had our '03 Dodge DRW 3500 for many more (obviously not a half-ton)

And can attest from literally hundreds of trips past CA Weigh Stations on all 3 land borders (many, many on the I-5 at Camp Pendleton and I-15 at Rainbow) that the CHP does not want Pick-ups of any GVWR in the weigh station.

You are welcome to demand they weigh your Pick-up. I'll pass.

So...how about getting back On-Topic...a quality lightweight 5er

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:44 PM   #49

Our trailer manufacturer GVWR is 14,000. It tows nice and has 6 point auto leveling. I have an auto-slider hitch for the 6ft. truck bed.
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:18 AM   #50

Texas Boomers Club
"So...how about getting back On-Topic...a quality lightweight 5er "

Very good! I was wondering if this hijacked thread would ever get back to OP's question.

We've been looking at light 5ers and have pretty much settled on a KZ Durango 1500. Seems to be well built with everything we were looking for. Fit and finish is way above some that we've seen.
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
"So...how about getting back On-Topic...a quality lightweight 5er "

Very good! I was wondering if this hijacked thread would ever get back to OP's question.

We've been looking at light 5ers and have pretty much settled on a KZ Durango 1500. Seems to be well built with everything we were looking for. Fit and finish is way above some that we've seen.
I kinda hijacked my own topic but was info we Californians have to worry about.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:24 PM   #52

What do you suppose they leave out to make it a Lite trailer? As for quality, is there such a trailer being produced. So many come from the factory with defects from lousy workmanship and no quality control.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, quality