Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2015, 10:32 PM   #1

Whole house water filters-RV

What does everybody use for whole house water filters for their 5th wheel? Planning to put it in a tote ans set on the ground near the water inlet to the unit.
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 06:31 AM   #2

I am currently using the CAMCO inline water filter sold in pairs or singles at WALMART. It did a decent job at the Greene County Fair Ground camp area last season blocking all that rust from getting into my tank. When I disconnected the filter... and drained it after finishing my trip.... the orange stuff on the inlet side dumped out in OZZZie Yuckie fashion.... Now I never go unprotected on a fill up of the water tank or a city side hookup. the CAMCO filters are cheap.... effective....and will best used as taste and odor or lite weight whole house filter (600 gallons of water use and the filter is spent). It is in a rough tough casing and you will not need it in a tote. You can throw it on the ground and it will stand every kick or bump...
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:17 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Get a whole house canister filter. Buy the plumbing parts to connect it to your hoses at a hardware store.

Replacement filters are inexpensive. I replace mine every 3-4 months depending on water quality.

Superior to hose end Camcos in many aspects.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
All things water.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:28 AM   #5

I purchased a Culligan RVF-10 Exterior water filter with a portable water stand from Camping World that will stick in the ground.

I buy my filters from either Meijers grocery store or from Menards super store. I usually buy in two packs and replaced the filter every time we our done camping for that period of time such as at the end of a week camping or such. If we were full time campers I would replace the filter on a monthly bases.

The only issue is the filter is rated at 1GPM when I bought this it was the only one available back in the early 2000 time frame. Some of the newer ones that Camping World offers now have 2.5 GPM flow rate. But I am not sure if these are compatible with the generic filters I buy and not the name brand of the filter housing seller.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:30 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Howdy Helipilot, Since you posed this on the 5'ers site, I'm guessing you have a Fifth Wheel. If you do, or if the RV you own has a wet bay large enough to accommodate a "Whole House" filter is really the way to go. And for all the reasons posted. I like the fact that you have a range of filter types and microns filtration to choose from. If you ask those who have installed house filters, I think they would share a pic with you to give Ya an idea of what, where & how to mount. This way any water from what ever source will be filtered. Just make sure you change on a regular basis, this depends on quality of your various water supplies. (also don't forget to add the filter to your winterization procedure) if it applies to you.
I use the blue disposable filter I know "What? I had the whole house filter "Rig", it was built to be used outside of the RV, not much room in my wet bay area . Yes worked great , but with it outside; had it taken once, and once some toddlers were playing tag, tripped over it and snapped a fitting. None of that was a show stopper, but switched to blue disposable and lays inside of wet bay. For me easy cheesy.

BTW, if you would go to the "Edit Signature", above in the dark blue band, left side. This allows folks here to assist you with accurate info specific to your rig. List; year, make, model and what you feel comfortable sharing. I just did the Copy Cat Thing...
Old 03-31-2015, 09:41 AM   #7

Whole house water filters-RV

Little Camco filters are expensive and short-term. About 20 bucks for 2.
I have a whole house canister outside, another inside. About 20 bucks with connectors at a hardware store. Filters are cheap and last longer.
And now that the water is cleaner, don't forget a softener! Want suds for a great shower and clean dishes and spot-free car washing? Wanna keep your faucets and metal connectors free of crystal build up?
My softener and outside filter have never been stolen, nor my Coleman or chairs or Weber, etc. And we are fulltime RVers.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:40 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have an under counter filter in the wet bay, and I also put one under the sink. When I am filling up at home I remove the filter from the wet bay because we have a fair amount of chlorine in our water, and that helps to keep the water tank in the RV fresh & clean. The filter under the sink does a great job from there in delivering good water. If we are filling from a source that I am unsure of, I use the filter in the wet bay, and may even put a camco filter on the hose.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:28 PM   #9

Thanks for the suggestion and comments guys. I'll go ahead with the whole house filter. I like the idea of pre-filtering the water at the source and having another filter in the RV. Also, will look into the water softener.
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:28 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I made my own

Piece of PVC pipe, and some adapters...Text file on request.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:32 PM   #11

Same one I have under my kitchen and bathroom sink. 3M canister from Home Depot it takes chlorine and other nasty stuff out of the water. I made an attachment on the side of the rv using the existing screws, cut a couple of hoses and done. Filters come in a pack of 2 and change them each season - we are not full timers.
tucsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:19 AM   #12

Could someone please post picks of where and how they installed their house filters into the RV?
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:44 AM   #13

Hell: One note on first use filtration... Before letting any NEW filter run water into your tanks...let water run thru the filter first. The carbon dust will rinse out and you will not have that hanging out in your tank. It only takes a few moments of running water thru the filter for it to clear.
Notes about softeners... I have a softener in the house (not RV)...it uses SALTS to clean itself. If you are on a special sodium diet...the softener will or perhaps will screw with your intake of sodium. Please read the details before selecting the model and salt type you use.
NOTES about Rev Osmosis units....the replacement parts for filtering with REV Osmosis are expensive... once you walk that path know thy costs...
NOTES about filters in general: There are many types of filter cartridge that fit in the generic canisters. You can buy double or triple cartridge holder filtration. You can mix up the type of filters you use to gain the target substance removal. Taste...particulate...lead...cystaspore.... BUT.. these DO NOT purify water....they all simply filter. Distillation I do believe is about as close as you can come to purification...and I have never seen that it might benefit my use. So as I stated earlier..I pre filter all water using EL inexpensive CAMCO in line filters...(they are taste odor and particulate filters) and that is where I stop.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:59 PM   #14

The whole house filters have a mounting bracket that comes with them for mounting. I made a bracket and removed a couple of screws on my 5er and and attach the bracket to these. I go directly from the filter using a 12" hose making sure I filter the water and my hoses.flow is not an issue.
tucsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water