Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2016, 06:44 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
There is another reason, it is still easier to hook up with a conventional fifth wheel hitch because of greater misalignment tolerances.
The first couple of times I used mine it took a couple of times but now I hit it every time. I can see the ball from my mirror so it is very easy. I did have to take the head rest out in the back seat. (Middle one) but nobody ever sat there anyways LOL.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 07:20 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
X2 took out middle seat head rest. Hit it every time. Love being to take it out in <5min. So quiet and solid, it's really hard to believe. Best hitch on market. IMHO
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
There is another reason, it is still easier to hook up with a conventional fifth wheel hitch because of greater misalignment tolerances.
The current Andersen ships with a new design that adds a funnel to the ball drop and this makes tough hookup alignment issues a thing of the past. I have had both the old type and now the new one. With the funnel I seldom if ever need to take additional attempts to hitch.
2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed Maxxis 16"E; AirBags; MorRyde RPB Andersen UltimateII Curt 4"offset;GrndCntrl 3.0 4pt;6K# Dexters;CRE3K w/Wetbolts; Champ.3100 Invrtr;Furrion48 Cam;Dish Sat, 10' Portabote
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:27 AM   #18

I don't like the aluminum "coupler" riding on a steel ball. And, a cable to lock and unlock the hitch? Plus, only 4 set screws holding the "coupler" in place while backing up on steep or uneven terrain?
I'll stick with my PullRite Superglide. Only takes 5-10 minutes to remove or install with my fold up cherry picker.
And, the extra weight in the bed tames down the ride around town after we unhook at the camp ground.
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
The current Andersen ships with a new design that adds a funnel to the ball drop and this makes tough hookup alignment issues a thing of the past. I have had both the old type and now the new one. With the funnel I seldom if ever need to take additional attempts to hitch.
Any current Andersen hitch owner can get the alignment plate for free. It's easy to add on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Softail View Post
I don't like the aluminum "coupler" riding on a steel ball. And, a cable to lock and unlock the hitch? Plus, only 4 set screws holding the "coupler" in place while backing up on steep or uneven terrain?
I'll stick with my PullRite Superglide. Only takes 5-10 minutes to remove or install with my fold up cherry picker.
And, the extra weight in the bed tames down the ride around town after we unhook at the camp ground.
My understanding is there isn't much rotational load so those 4 set screws hold tight. Also the ball is also aluminum, a very strong aluminum also there is some sort of liner. Do some more reading. It's the hitch I'm buying when we get our 5er.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:06 AM   #20

My understanding is there isn't much rotational load so those 4 set screws hold tight. Also the ball is also aluminum, a very strong aluminum also there is some sort of liner. Do some more reading. It's the hitch I'm buying when we get our 5er.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, aluminum on aluminum isn't any better.
Well, there is quite a bit of "rotational" (i.e. sideways) load when you're pushing 14,000lbs backwards up a steep incline and at a 45* angle. That's what it takes to get up my driveway and into my shop.
I had a steel tow bar on my towd when I had a motorhome and never had a problem. I've read many a story on aluminum tow bars failing. And, those tow bars are only pulling around 5,000lbs.
I'll stick with my all steel set up.
BTW, I did plenty of reading on it. Good luck with your purchase.
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:30 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
My understanding is there isn't much rotational load so those 4 set screws hold tight. Also the ball is also aluminum, a very strong aluminum also there is some sort of liner. Do some more reading. It's the hitch I'm buying when we get our 5er.
Well, there is quite a bit of "rotational" (i.e. sideways) load when you're pushing 14,000lbs backwards up a steep incline and at a 45* angle. That's what it takes to get up my driveway and into my shop.
I had a steel tow bar on my towd when I had a motorhome and never had a problem. I've read many a story on aluminum tow bars failing. And, those tow bars are only pulling around 5,000lbs.
I'll stick with my all steel set up.
BTW, I did plenty of reading on it. Good luck with your purchase.[/QUOTE]

I would be interested in hearing just on failure that your talking about. As far as I have heard there isn't any. I have seen the emergency stop failure but not from backing up a slope. I have done it many times and I understand you maybe not wanting to switch from you heavy traditional, its a comfort zone. Happy Camping whatever you do.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Sorry, but there is no metal on metal contact when the ball is fully seated in the socket. The ball fits into a socket that I think may be a block of MDS Nylon, which is self lubricating. (I have made many heavy machine wear parts out of MDS Nylon and it is some amazing plastic.) After having mine for a total of 1800 miles, I am not seeing any wear at all except for the marks that are left when the "funnel" does its job to align the ball with the socket.
You also commented on the aluminum ball breaking. It would take more than an emergency stop to break it because it is short and there is minimal leverage on it. Also, I don't know this for a fact, but I would bet the material they use is not your run-of-the-mill aluminum. I would guess it to be 6061T or better. I have talked to the guys at Andersen and they seem to be very knowledgeable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02222.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	138126  
WingHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:02 AM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
The traditional hitch users that have already invested in old technology will not be persuaded to switch to a better lighter hitch. There are many people still using recurve bows and percussion firearms because they like them. To each his own. If it gets the job done, it's the right one for you.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by roothoss1282 View Post
I would be interested in hearing just on failure that your talking about. As far as I have heard there isn't any. I have seen the emergency stop failure but not from backing up a slope. I have done it many times and I understand you maybe not wanting to switch from you heavy traditional, its a comfort zone. Happy Camping whatever you do.
Have to agree. The aluminum has been used to large aircraft landing gear and doesn't fail. You just have to use the right grade of aluminum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsvolsfan View Post
The traditional hitch users that have already invested in old technology will not be persuaded to switch to a better lighter hitch. There are many people still using recurve bows and percussion firearms because they like them. To each his own. If it gets the job done, it's the right one for you.
Now that I totally understand. Few will change out a complete hitch just to go to an Andersen. If you're getting a new truck and a new hitch to go with it then the Andersen may be the hitch for your. I like the advantages and will likely go with it.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #25

I have a Ram 2500 6.4L that can handle a 5th wheel. The door sticker says the load capacity is 3,076 lbs. I like that the Anderson is lighter then the older types which also helps with the capacity. The easy installation and no maintenance is great also.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:59 AM   #26

Quote:
...Plus, only 4 set screws holding the "coupler" in place while backing up on steep or uneven terrain?...
The 4 set screws just secure the adapter block from twisting on a horizontal plane around the trailer's kingpin and even if they were to completely fall out (which there are no none cases) the Andersen would still be secure and safe to tow. It is the two large, heavy bolts that attach the adapter block to the kingpin, one bolt on each side of the kingpin.

As for the locking cable, because the trailer weight drops down onto the Andersen ball (as opposed to sliding into a plate), even if the cable were not locked at all, the trailer would have to hit a very large bounce to even clear the ball and come off. There are no known issues with fifth wheels dropping on truck beds that have the Andersen (I think there have been traditional fifth wheel hitches where the drop on truck has occurred). I have read of users forgetting to lock the cable and towing for many miles without incident.
2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed Maxxis 16"E; AirBags; MorRyde RPB Andersen UltimateII Curt 4"offset;GrndCntrl 3.0 4pt;6K# Dexters;CRE3K w/Wetbolts; Champ.3100 Invrtr;Furrion48 Cam;Dish Sat, 10' Portabote
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:40 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
The 4 set screws just secure the adapter block from twisting on a horizontal plane around the trailer's kingpin and even if they were to completely fall out (which there are no none cases) the Andersen would still be secure and safe to tow. It is the two large, heavy bolts that attach the adapter block to the kingpin, one bolt on each side of the kingpin.

As for the locking cable, because the trailer weight drops down onto the Andersen ball (as opposed to sliding into a plate), even if the cable were not locked at all, the trailer would have to hit a very large bounce to even clear the ball and come off. There are no known issues with fifth wheels dropping on truck beds that have the Andersen (I think there have been traditional fifth wheel hitches where the drop on truck has occurred). I have read of users forgetting to lock the cable and towing for many miles without incident.
Well stated.

I would like to see a lock on the cable release so some joker can pull it when walking by you're trailer.

I'd also like to see Andersen supply a locking plate you can install when you're unhitched which would keep someone from removing the adapter then driving off with you're fiver. As it stands that adapter can be removed in 2 minutes with simple tools you can carry in your pocket.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Well stated.

I'd also like to see Andersen supply a locking plate you can install when you're unhitched which would keep someone from removing the adapter then driving off with you're fiver. As it stands that adapter can be removed in 2 minutes with simple tools you can carry in your pocket.
I think you could construct something. They have pins with loops on them. The loops go on opposite sides of the adapter. You could use a chain to lock them together so that they couldn't turn to be taken off.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote