Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #29

When not to use?

If you have high bedsides, the pinbox can hit it when using the adapter with ball fwd and pin aft.

I used mine like that for 5000 miles but was always careful when turning. I used my center rear view mirror to watch the pin box as it rotated around.

Recently, I flipped the adapter which brought the trailer further forward on my shorbed. Flat and level, I can get almost 90 degrees. Which is further than my previous setup. The pinbox now spins freely in the bed. The only limiting factor is my trailers nose.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
When not to use?

If you have high bedsides, the pinbox can hit it when using the adapter with ball fwd and pin aft.

I used mine like that for 5000 miles but was always careful when turning. I used my center rear view mirror to watch the pin box as it rotated around.

Recently, I flipped the adapter which brought the trailer further forward on my shorbed. Flat and level, I can get almost 90 degrees. Which is further than my previous setup. The pinbox now spins freely in the bed. The only limiting factor is my trailers nose.
There is an adapter that you attach to the bed ball to move the attaching point back even more. Search youtube for an Anderson hitch for a video that is about 30 minutes - it shows it.

http://www.turnoverball.com/products...ies/4-extender

dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
There is an adapter that you attach to the bed ball to move the attaching point back even more. Search youtube for an Anderson hitch for a video that is about 30 minutes - it shows it.

4" Extender | Gooseneck Accessories | THE B&W ADVANTAGE
Interesting? I wonder how much weight would be moved onto the rear axle from the front? I already pushing it...
Old 09-07-2016, 07:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Interesting? I wonder how much weight would be moved onto the rear axle from the front? I already pushing it...
That's been discussed and it's removes about 80 to 200 pounds from the frond end but the rear weight doesn't really change much. Not enough to worry about especially if you have a 4X4 which is already heavier.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:34 AM   #33

Quote:
When I had my 2500 CCSB Ram I towed using the B&W offset adapter. I went to the adapter because of side rail/tail gate clearance concerns (too close for comfort)... mainly at the gate. I also spent time at a Cat Scale finding out the actual effects on axle weights using two configurations: 1.Traditional short bed (standard GN ball with adapter orientation (ball socket fore and king pin aft)). 2. Offset (B&W 4" offset GN ball with adapter reversed (kingpin first then ball socket behind))

Here are my findings: 1. Offset config took 200 lbs away from the front axle compared to traditional. 2. I felt no handling change between the two config's. 3. When using the offset GN ball, the Andersen hitch cannot torque down all the way. This is because the B&W adapter has a taller ball compared to the standard ball. The inner square tube of the hitch runs out of travel (topping out on the bottom or the outer tube) just prior to full torque so if you want to tow this way a shorter inner tube (by 1.25") will need to be aquired from Andersen. 4. Either config allowed plenty of cab clearance between my Ram 6.5' bed and Cedar Creek cap. 5. Traditional config took a "bite" out of my tailgate (slight scrape in the plastic cover) from the rear of the pin box striking it when backing the trailer up and into an elevated campsite.

Hope this helps!
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:03 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNCJ View Post
When I had my 2500 CCSB Ram I towed using the B&W offset adapter. I went to the adapter because of side rail/tail gate clearance concerns (too close for comfort)... mainly at the gate. I also spent time at a Cat Scale finding out the actual effects on axle weights using two configurations: 1.Traditional short bed (standard GN ball with adapter orientation (ball socket fore and king pin aft)). 2. Offset (B&W 4" offset GN ball with adapter reversed (kingpin first then ball socket behind))

Here are my findings: 1. Offset config took 200 lbs away from the front axle compared to traditional. 2. I felt no handling change between the two config's. 3. When using the offset GN ball, the Andersen hitch cannot torque down all the way. This is because the B&W adapter has a taller ball compared to the standard ball. The inner square tube of the hitch runs out of travel (topping out on the bottom or the outer tube) just prior to full torque so if you want to tow this way a shorter inner tube (by 1.25") will need to be aquired from Andersen. 4. Either config allowed plenty of cab clearance between my Ram 6.5' bed and Cedar Creek cap. 5. Traditional config took a "bite" out of my tailgate (slight scrape in the plastic cover) from the rear of the pin box striking it when backing the trailer up and into an elevated campsite.

Hope this helps!
So you had a CCSB when you did the test and now you have a CCLB. Did you ever see how the weight would change if you used the offset, not that you need to, with the CCLB?

Only reason I ask is that the WB in the CCLB is close the same as the MCSB which is what we'll be getting, need all the room we can get for the dogs, and thus the weight difference should be less.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
So you had a CCSB when you did the test and now you have a CCLB. Did you ever see how the weight would change if you used the offset, not that you need to, with the CCLB?

Only reason I ask is that the WB in the CCLB is close the same as the MCSB which is what we'll be getting, need all the room we can get for the dogs, and thus the weight difference should be less.
I have not checked to see how the weight would change with the new truck. I do not have the option to try the offset GN adapter as my new truck has the factory puck system. The Factory GN portion has a round receiver for the GN ball shaft as opposed to the 8 sided shaft that the B&W turnover setup incorporates.

With the long bed I like simply installing the hitch and placing the pin adapter with the ball socket aft. This places the kingpin directly above the GN ball without any concerns of contact between the truck and trailer while sending as much weight forward as possible.

If I had a MCSB I would be using the B&W for the GN. Makes for many options... One could always swap out the factory GN for the B&W too...

A lot will depend on the trailer you get. Have you decided on one yet? Also... are you getting a Dually?
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Here's the link to my youtube.
Link Here: Andersen Ultimate 2016 Reverse Mount

I use the Curt version $62 at CarID.
Link Here: Curt Model 60602 Double-lock-gooseneck 4" extenda ball
2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed Maxxis 16"E; AirBags; MorRyde RPB Andersen UltimateII Curt 4"offset;GrndCntrl 3.0 4pt;6K# Dexters;CRE3K w/Wetbolts; Champ.3100 Invrtr;Furrion48 Cam;Dish Sat, 10' Portabote
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #37
Dfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
We looked very hard at the Andersen when we bought our trailer.

It like almost all innovations are met almost immediately by throngs of naysayers who usually have little to no understanding of the innovation but completely dispel it.

The Andersen hitch has and will have a significant place in this market despite all of the negative folks who can't handle change.
Have used it, cab and back window damage!
Dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfb View Post
How is that Andersen fault?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfb View Post
Thanks for the quote and then the comment, but I need to buy a vowel because I don't have a clue.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsvolsfan View Post
The traditional hitch users that have already invested in old technology will not be persuaded to switch to a better lighter hitch. There are many people still using recurve bows and percussion firearms because they like them. To each his own. If it gets the job done, it's the right one for you.
After a few years of wrestling the traditional hitch in and out of the bed, risking back and toes, I read about the Andersen and could hardly wait to switch. I was delighted with it right from the start and would never go back to traditional. I was a computer tech and tolerance for change was part of the job.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:23 AM   #41
Dfb

Quote:
How is that Andersen fault?
Go to their website and watch their video showing a 5 foot short bed ... I was guaranteed they would not hit. They did hit... Causing damage to my new truck. So, I was told by ANDESEN AND the dealer that they would not hit! So, explain to me how it's NOT THEIR FAULT!
Old 09-11-2016, 05:26 AM   #42
Dfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
After a few years of wrestling the traditional hitch in and out of the bed, risking back and toes, I read about the Andersen and could hardly wait to switch. I was delighted with it right from the start and would never go back to traditional. I was a computer tech and tolerance for change was part of the job.
Good for your "tollerance".. However, I have no tollerance for damage to my truck.. I am not the only one...I now have a superglide that is perfect. Heavy? Yes... I just lift the hitch with the king pin.. Have to work smarter, not harder...