Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #1

Why tankless water heater ???

Been reading this thread now for weeks. Unless you are a full timer and staying in one place for months - being charged for electric, why in the world would you want a tankless heater with all of the apparent problems? Our electric works great. Propane works even faster when not hooked to shore power. No problems. Simple.
Tankless in my honme makes sense. Please tell me why I would want a tankless in my RV ? What am I missing here ?
Ray
rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Long hot showers, if that is your thing.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Hot water limited by only the amount of water and propane available. Families with several children would definitely benefit.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #4

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrray View Post
Been reading this thread now for weeks. Unless you are a full timer and staying in one place for months - being charged for electric, why in the world would you want a tankless heater with all of the apparent problems?
Ray
If you are referring to the thread concerning the Girard Tankless Water Heater, you are unfortunately making the assumption that all tankless water heaters are designed this way. In reality, there are a number of tankless water heaters on the market that are properly designed, delivering practically an unlimited supply of hot water at the desired temperature.
For example, there is a system available that measures the temperature of the water as it enters the water heater, half way through the burner and as it exits the water heater. It adjusts the gas flow to the burner to make sure that the water leaving the heater is at the preset (adjustable on the circuit board) temperature.

There are many benefits to the tankless system.
-There is no recovery time for the next person in line to take a shower.
-You are not carrying around 50-100 pounds of water (depending on size of hot water tank) as well as the weight of the tank itself as you travel down the road, .
-You only heat the water as you need it as opposed to using electricity or propane to keep a large volume of water hot, even though you are not using it.
-winterizing a tankless system is fast and painless, just drain it.
-takes up less space.
greyt-parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tankless water heater pro's:

UNLIMITED HOT WATER (if hooked to city water and a full propane tank) Your hot water is limited only by the amount of propane and the amount of water you carry, so a 30 minute HOT shower is very possible (If you have full hookup that is,, Dont want to overflow the OTHER tank).

Energy savings. Since water is heated ONLY when it's needed, not all the time, they use less energy.

Safety: No container of hot water under pressure to scald you if the plug comes out when you don't expect it.

Downsides:

RV units only run on propane, no electric option. Though you can find electric ones they are flow limited and need 50 amp to work.

MAY not activate at low flow rates.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyt-parent View Post
If you are referring to the thread concerning the Girard Tankless Water Heater, you are unfortunately making the assumption that all tankless water heaters are designed this way. In reality, there are a number of tankless water heaters on the market that are properly designed, delivering practically an unlimited supply of hot water at the desired temperature.
For example, there is a system available that measures the temperature of the water as it enters the water heater, half way through the burner and as it exits the water heater. It adjusts the gas flow to the burner to make sure that the water leaving the heater is at the preset (adjustable on the circuit board) temperature.

There are many benefits to the tankless system.
-There is no recovery time for the next person in line to take a shower.
-You are not carrying around 50-100 pounds of water (depending on size of hot water tank) as well as the weight of the tank itself as you travel down the road, .
-You only heat the water as you need it as opposed to using electricity or propane to keep a large volume of water hot, even though you are not using it.
-winterizing a tankless system is fast and painless, just drain it.
-takes up less space.
OK, see the positive points. Thank you for outlining benefits. Not picking on Girard or others. Must look at habits, needs. For a larger family; for someone who wants unlimited hot showers...has metered electric..wants immediate HW, perhaps makes sense.

For us part-timers in a full hookup park, we are already paying for water and elect, so why burn off our propane? We take 5 min showers (former boaters) that are plenty hot - must be cooled with cold mix. Haul around 6 gallons - 48lbs. Takes about 10 minutes recovery with elect, less on propane. Two showers back to back - may have to wait 10 minutes to do dishes. Don't leave HW on without an expected need. Works. Never been a problem.
Ray
Old 10-29-2012, 06:18 AM   #7

Our RV 10 gallon hot water tank was supplied with both electric and propane heating capabilities. We use the electric side whenever shore power is available and do not need the A/C. There is a small ON/OFF rocker type switch located inside of the heater compartment and accessible when the outside cover is removed. It works great and is very fast to recover. There is a removable cotter pin in the rocker switch which must be removed to turn on the electric heating elements. As the elements would burn out in seconds/minutes with no water in the tank a post note or an item on the checklist would be helpful to avoid a burnout when restarting the RV in the spring.The two of us have never had a cold shower when running on electric. I believe both the Atwood and Suburban hot water heaters are available with the dual heating capabilities.
We have ordered a new Redwood 36RL 5th wheel RV and will ask about this during this week's factory tour at Redwood. Hope this helps. If you have 30 amp service (which our current Forrest River Sierra trailer does then the main breaker could trip if a microwave, electric coffer brewer, toaster or similar high loads are on. It keeps you on your toes. Hope this is helpful.
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAircraft View Post
Our RV 10 gallon hot water tank was supplied with both electric and propane heating capabilities. We use the electric side whenever shore power is available and do not need the A/C. There is a small ON/OFF rocker type switch located inside of the heater compartment and accessible when the outside cover is removed. It works great and is very fast to recover. There is a removable cotter pin in the rocker switch which must be removed to turn on the electric heating elements. As the elements would burn out in seconds/minutes with no water in the tank a post note or an item on the checklist would be helpful to avoid a burnout when restarting the RV in the spring.The two of us have never had a cold shower when running on electric. I believe both the Atwood and Suburban hot water heaters are available with the dual heating capabilities.
We have ordered a new Redwood 36RL 5th wheel RV and will ask about this during this week's factory tour at Redwood. Hope this helps. If you have 30 amp service (which our current Forrest River Sierra trailer does then the main breaker could trip if a microwave, electric coffer brewer, toaster or similar high loads are on. It keeps you on your toes. Hope this is helpful.
Our Outback has a similar switch in the compartment. I leave it on permenantly since the elect or gas is only turned on by a selection switch inside. We just make sure the HW tank is full before using - run water to make sure all the air is out after a non-use period. We always use elect when available. All the hot water needed. We do have 50amp service but only use a 30amp pwr cord due to weight and handling. Never been a problem.
Good luck with the new Redwood - Ray
Old 10-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #9

The 10gal gas/electric water heater has served us well now for over 12 years, my thoughts, if it works, why change to something else...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:41 AM   #10

When I got my TT the hot water heater did not work. While I was working on the trailer I removed the water heater and found the tank had a 4 inch tear in the tank. I thought about installing a tankless hot water heater in my RV but after doing a lot of reading and having never tried a tankless, all I can go on is one person where I work put one in their house a year ago and have had it replaced twice. I am having the tank repaired. I am still not conveniced that tankless is the way to go. From what I have read so far, in a house anyway- IMHO - the initial cost/installation and maintenance of a tankless over a standard hot water heater does not out weigh the savings on monthly energy bill. Just my two cents worth.
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:51 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our new motor home has a tankless water heater and while not too thrilled at first, we now would not be without it! have used the coach for probably 4 months and can't tell the propane has dropped at all by the gauge. I think propane usage is very minimal. May change our minds after we winter in FL.

burfurd

Tags
heater, water