RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 12:03 AM   #1
DHE

Why Two Grey water tanks?

I recently purchased a Winnabago 2015 Destination 36RL. Along with the black water tank it has TWO grey water tanks. Why TWO tanks and does each one have a particular use? THANKS for your anticipated responses. God bless.

DHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 01:22 AM   #2

I was just talking about this with our shop manager today....we couldn’t come up with anything either

Old 10-16-2019, 04:41 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
We have the same on our 2017 leprechaun 311fs class c. My guess is weight distribution and no room for one big tank. I wish ours was plumbed together to increase capacity.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:59 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
We have the same on our 2017 leprechaun 311fs class c. My guess is weight distribution and no room for one big tank. I wish ours was plumbed together to increase capacity.
If they drain out of the same outlet then it would be easy enough to add a twist on valve at that outlet. Close the outlet valve, open the two grey tank valves and the water will 'balance' between the two tanks - in effect acting like one large tank.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:39 AM   #5

My 5er has 2 grey.....one for kitchen and one for shower and bathroom sink....
Old 10-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
My kitchen grey tank waste gate is located under the slide, while the other grey and black gates are ahead of the slide.....I plumbed the rear to the front and, if needed, can still use the rear gate......just have to be creative....
Old 10-16-2019, 07:43 AM   #7

I have two grey tanks. They support two different areas of the coach. You can't fight gravity and running plumbing to connect the two would mean trying to get stuff to flow uphill. Your setup probably is like mine and having the second grey tank is necessary for the floorplan and the fixtures you have spread out around the coach. In my case, the second tank only supports the outside kitchen. Since I seldom use the water there, that tank almost never needs emptying.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:04 AM   #8

What are the respective capacities of the dual grey tanks?... In shopping rigs I never see a separate tank capacity listed?....

Also do these dual grey tanks have separate monitors in the rig?
KRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:08 AM   #9

Paperwork to hard to access at present, but yes, both have separate monitors.....am thinking both are 40 gal....
Old 10-16-2019, 08:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRum View Post
What are the respective capacities of the dual grey tanks?... In shopping rigs I never see a separate tank capacity listed?....

Also do these dual grey tanks have separate monitors in the rig?
My previous TT had two tanks. Both were 36 gallons for a 72 gallon total. Each tank was on the monitor separately and drained from one pipe. It was great having that much capacity in a 29 foot trailer.

The tank capacities should be listed under the specs in the brochures.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Expat View Post
I have two grey tanks. They support two different areas of the coach. You can't fight gravity and running plumbing to connect the two would mean trying to get stuff to flow uphill. Your setup probably is like mine and having the second grey tank is necessary for the floorplan and the fixtures you have spread out around the coach. In my case, the second tank only supports the outside kitchen. Since I seldom use the water there, that tank almost never needs emptying.

Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	8
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	263782

You must have 1/8" of drop per foot to drain pipes. You must have room for tanks between the frame rails. It's all about draining. It's usually Galley, Gray and Black. Sometimes the bath sink goes into the black tank for the same reasons.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:04 AM   #12

It also easier to package two smaller tanks under the rig than one very large one.
Also simple rectangular tanks are much cheaper to produce than one with shapes molded in.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #13
DHE

Thanks my friends. You have been a great help. As far as thevtanks size, they are 36 gallons each and each has their own monitor ie a button for each take to check it. Blessings on you travels.
DHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #14

One for the bathroom sink and shower, and maybe the washer. One for the kitchen sink.

450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water