Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #1

Smile Will a second ac in make unit too tall

Looking to purchase 27 foot chaparral and add ac in front. Unit is listed at 12 ft 6 in and wondered if anyone knows how tall is too tall. thanks for any feedback. We are switching from class c to 5 wheel and will have a lots of questions in next couple of weeks. jim w.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #2

I have two AC units and so far have not had any issues. Have not measured yet, but I guess I am about 14 feet.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #3

I have two units but I rarely use the front unit ... My clearance is 13-4 listed but I checked it when it's hooked to TV and it's at 13-3
they do make low profile ac units
By law 13' 6" is normal tractor trailer height
Any low clearance bridge is marked ... Should be at least
Old 02-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgunjim View Post
Looking to purchase 27 foot chaparral and add ac in front. Unit is listed at 12 ft 6 in and wondered if anyone knows how tall is too tall. thanks for any feedback. We are switching from class c to 5 wheel and will have a lots of questions in next couple of weeks. jim w.
We have a 1998 35 foot Golden Falcon and I admit I wish we had an AC in the front bedroom, but not sure you would really need one in a 27 foot. According to the Chaparral specs (assuming you're talkng new) that unit is 30 amps. I would think that any fiver with dual air would be 50 amps, so you might want to check to make sure you have enough power to run two A/Cs.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are 3 "how tall is too tall" answers.

Somewere I read 12.6" for motor homes.. Not sure that is true

I know 13.6" is the max for most vehicles, higher than that you need an oversize permit.

The height of the tree limb. bridge, or rail road over pass (if less than 13'6") you are driving under.. That's the absolute max.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyyyy View Post
I have two units but I rarely use the front unit ... My clearance is 13-4 listed but I checked it when it's hooked to TV and it's at 13-3
they do make low profile ac units
By law 13' 6" is normal tractor trailer height
Any low clearance bridge is marked ... Should be at least

Same here. I had to flip my axels to get our 5er level and the front ac is 13' 4''. Here in Pa. 13'6'' is legal. You just have to mind the clearance signs on the back roads. Major highways will clear 13'6'' with no problem because that is the standard height for tractor trailer trucks. I do not have a low profile ac so if you go with a low profile you will be fine.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
13ft 6 inch is legal limit without a permit.. No matter what you drive. Keep in mind just because a bridge says it's height does not mean it is. After roadwork a lot of bridges are not remeasured. I have had to recover a few Trucks and RV's that we under 13ft tall but were stuck under bridges listed at 13ft. Just be careful when navigating in areas that have older bridges and overpasses. When in doubt stop and double check.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by campclan View Post
13ft 6 inch is legal limit without a permit.. No matter what you drive. Keep in mind just because a bridge says it's height does not mean it is. After roadwork a lot of bridges are not remeasured. I have had to recover a few Trucks and RV's that we under 13ft tall but were stuck under bridges listed at 13ft. Just be careful when navigating in areas that have older bridges and overpasses. When in doubt stop and double check.
Another thing to look for is if the road was resurfaced you will lose another inch or two in clearance. I try to stay on roads that tractor trailers are using as much as possible because if they fit I know that I'll fit.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
The maximum height of the new Tiffin Zephyr is 12' 10" with roof air.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Put a 10 foot 2x4 and a level across the highest spot on your air conditioner and have someone on the ground measure it on both sides, making sure it is level and you'll have your height.

I put a label on the top left inside of my windshield that says 12 feet. I measured 11' 10" so I gave myself two inches of spare clearance.

Although if I get to a spot that says 12' clearance I plan on stopping and making darn sure I can make it through.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #11

Arch, thats what I plan on doing. I am bringing my ladder and six foot level. I will be able to see exactly where the high point is and get an idea what will be added if I remove the vent and add a low profile ac. thanks to all. jim w.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You don't have a laser level? You can borrow mine.

Put the laser level at the highest point, level it and turn the laser on. Walk to the side, drop the free end of the tape measure to the ground and see where the laser light hits the tape. That is your height.

Look into the low profile. Adding 12" will put you at max lenght - maybe. The height the manufacturer's give you is as the unit sits on it's own support, level. When you add it to the tow vehicle there will be some settling - as as the day goes on the settling may be a little more. This settling is typically evident when you unhook from the tow vehicle and with out changing anything, wait a day and then back in to hook up. The tow vehicle may be slightly higher from the springs expanding after all the weight is on them. So, as stated, weigh the unit after it is hooked up to the tow vehicle - than add a fudge factor to your mental process.

If you are going to be traveling off the major roads, (Interstates) in the planning process of your trip, google search for and look at the AITA Low Clearances

Happy trails.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote