Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #1

Wind Tolerance

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this but my wife wanted me to.

She is terrified of storms and wind in the RV and wants to know the
tolerance of the RV for wind.

We had gusts of about 40 MPH directly into the door side living
room slide and it sorta bounced up and down so we brought it
in. First question.... what is the tolerance of a slide to wind?
Should it be brought in when the wind exceeds a certain speed?

Even more bizarre, she's afraid the RV will blow over some day.
Have any studies been done to see how much wind it takes to blow
over a 19000 lb. trailer with four tires and six jacks on the ground?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #2

Since semi-trailers have blown over, it can happen with a fifth wheel. If driving, you should pull over during severe winds. At a campground, you obviously pull in the awning. I would probably pull in large slides as well just to reduce surface area that can be damaged and reduce the chance of leaks.
We camped at a Cabela's in Nebraska once and had winds so strong it shook the fiver which was still connected to the truck. It got so bad that I got up and put on shorts so I would be decent if we got blown over. I talked to other campers the next morning who did the same.
I'm not trying to alarm you; just remember that even with the violent shaking of the fiver, we didn't get blown over.

SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
paz

We just experienced something similar with our large kitchen slide in 40 mph winds. The top of the slide moved inward a couple of inches with every big gust. We pulled the slide in.

We never experienced anything like that with the motorhome we previously had. I suspect that's because the largest slide on our motorhome was about 6 1/2' high and 12' long whereas the kitchen slide (off-door side) on our new 5th wheel is about 8' high and 16' long. The hydraulic ram holds the bottom of the slide out, but the weight of the slide cantilevered out there is the only thing holding the top in place.

That being said, we did withstand sustained winds of 40+ mph for several minutes and with a gust of 64 mph (as recorded by our weather station) hitting us broadside on the opposite side (door side) in a previous storm. The rig was really bouncing around, but it remained upright.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When parked we went through 75 mph winds on the OR coast in Newport. Was not a pleasant experience at all as you could feel the rig lifting up on it's suspension and coming back down.
That was in our '97 Type B MH though, doubt the Magna would even feel it when parked.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot depends on what you are resting on.. Jacks or springs.. Easier to blow over if on springs.

I've had gusts higher than I care to admit jacks down.. Slides out... (90MPH+) but this RV seems to be very stable. Not all are.

My Awning (which is well anchored) has taken some 60MPH plus blasts.

I think I got lucky though.. Did not consider stability when buying.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you think about it, when you are moving down the road you are already dealing with 60-75 mile an hour winds. So the headwinds or tailwinds while parked will be no problem. its those cross winds that will shake you up. Our 5th wheel will bounce a little while parked during high winds (been through a low cat 1 hurricane with parked) but we never felt unsafe. I would just make sure the weight is on jacks and not on the springs.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:26 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This was posted on another forum. Not to worry you, but I guess it can happen although this was a TT and not a 5ver. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1433208351.085942.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	95964
Old 06-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
When parked we went through 75 mph winds on the OR coast in Newport. Was not a pleasant experience at all as you could feel the rig lifting up on it's suspension and coming back down.
That was in our '97 Type B MH though, doubt the Magna would even feel it when parked.
OOPS, it was a '97 Type C!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:43 AM   #9

We rode out a storm one night sitting right on the Gulf in Galveston Island State Park with reported 70 mph winds. After the Park Ranger woke us at 1:30 am to alert of of the storms approach we sat up and played cards on the dinette in the 12' slide out. Even though it was howling wind with heavy rain outside, we never felt worried. Once the worst passed we went back to bed. When we got up the next morning most of the campground was standing 6-8" deep in rainwater. Quite a storm, but wasn't a big deal.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:53 AM   #10

I was in a smaller 22' TT in 50mph winds/pouring rain. The awning was anchored really good with one of those sun screens. The wind started to tear the awning from the trailer at the roof. That storm came so fast that there was no time to bring in the manual awning since it was anchored.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #11

gator67,
You have a very nice combo and a very heavy trailer. While it could be blown over, it would be a rare occurrence. We have both traveled and parked with our Suites in very high winds and nothing bad has happened. Does is rock some-yes. Does it have some wind whistle at times-yes. Just something your wife will have to get used to, but is certainly is not a bad idea to bring the slide(s) in during a big storm. Hopefully, the storms will be few and far between.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vfox View Post
If you think about it, when you are moving down the road you are already dealing with 60-75 mile an hour winds. So the headwinds or tailwinds while parked will be no problem. its those cross winds that will shake you up. Our 5th wheel will bounce a little while parked during high winds (been through a low cat 1 hurricane with parked) but we never felt unsafe. I would just make sure the weight is on jacks and not on the springs.
Not only are you driving at 60+ mph, cross-winds or gusts from passing semis, etc. can easily be an additional 30-40 mph. It takes higher wind speeds than that to flip a moving fiver. So while it might feel uncomfortable sitting in a parked RV during high winds, your probably still safe at 100 mph with the jacks down, hooked to the truck and slides in. A few years ago as part of a disaster response team I drove thru an area after a major hurricane with 100+ mph winds and saw several RV lots with parked TTs and fivers that were unaffected. And at the camp we located to, some of the staff rode out the hurricane in their RVs. There is more risk of injury from a falling tree than the RV tipping over.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #13

That Mobil Suites by DRV is not a light camper. If expecting high winds, I would fill the Fresh water tank for more low weight, have all the jacks down tight, and enjoy the night. I have ridden out the remenants of a Hurricane, that was downgraded to a tropical storm on several occasions at Myrtle Beach SC. It can be a little shaky, but with all your stabalizers down, it should not go anywhere. I never saw any that were turned over in the whole park on those 3 occasions. The only casualty was a new for sale unit up front that did not have the rear jacks down! A 34 ft Tag Along that was flipped in that same storm.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #14

In our first 5er we sat through a tornado only 1/4 mile away. Lots of wind and the unit did shake, we thought it was a very volient rain storm. The only way we found out it was a tornado was that I saw the park ranger that same day and mention the storm. He said to me didn't you hear the warning horn we were blowing, I said no didn't hear a thing. The Rangers never passed by our 5er close enough for us to hear the horn. Several trees were down in the park but nothing close to us.

Jim