Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #1

Winegard Trav'ler and Landmark Charleston??

A fellow camper has a new 2016 Landmark Charleston and he is wanting to get a Trav'ler installed for Directv. Are these models prepped for having this done?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 08:30 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Yes, all the Landmarks come pre wired for the Traveler antenna.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #3

OK - would you happen to know where the cables come in at? Will this model have hdmi cables running to all of the TV's from a central location. If so where would this be at?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:42 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
No but if you go to the Heartland Owners forum (see link below) and ask the uestion, I'm certain that someone there will be able to answer your questions.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #5

Would rather have the Wineguard Pathway X2.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:24 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Okay...

I use the Winegard carryout but if/when I buy another trailer I want to add the Traveler on the roof. I know several people with this antenna and they love it. It's fully automatic and supports up to 5 televisions.

Everyone must do what is best for them.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:09 PM   #7

I have a Newport, not a Charleston ,and the Sat connections are in the UDC. not sure how that Traveler is set up, but our tv's get connected to a dish receiver via an HDMI cable. Up to 2 receivers on a Pathway X2.

I get a signal most places I go, due to the fact I can move the dish itself around. You can't do that with a roof mounted sat dish.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC View Post
Okay...

I use the Winegard carryout but if/when I buy another trailer I want to add the Traveler on the roof. I know several people with this antenna and they love it. It's fully automatic and supports up to 5 televisions.

Everyone must do what is best for them.
Don't work good under trees though. I try not to park under them but sometimes I have no other choice. I can put my Pathway in clear view of sky.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #9

Wingard and 2017 Landnark

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
A fellow camper has a new 2016 Landmark Charleston and he is wanting to get a Trav'ler installed for Directv. Are these models prepped for having this done?
I just ordered a 2017 Landmark Charleston. The RV is presided for the Wingard satellite but my dealer is telling me they can't install the Wingard dish that provides Direct TV. Anyone else heard of this? Is the installation different with Dish than Direct TV. Thanks in advance.
crownie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Crownue, as far as I know, you buy a Traveler for either Dish Network or Direct TV. Some dealers are hesitant to make the installation. It pays to shop around.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:30 AM   #11

We have the Trav'ler on our trailer and love it. We have a X2 in the garage, somebody make me an offer.

What it really means for a trailer to be prepped is they ran the control wire and TV cables from somewhere inside the trailer to someplace on the roof. They work with all the different satellite companies.

The Trav'ler is built for 3 different satellite companies. It's really 3 things;
1. a control box that is programed for the specific sat company
2. a multi-axis pointing motor
3. a sat co specific dish/horn.

Here's the link:Winegard TRAV'LER RV Satellite Antennas

We got on Cedar Creeks website and found the drawing for it.

For some weird reason the control box goes into the bedroom closet. There was a 110 outlet and a blank switch plate. I took off the switch plate and my wife stuck her little hand up there and found the control cable, then over by the TV we found the color coded coax cable.

Up top there was a sticker on the roof which said all the stuff was under here. I cut away the roof membrane and found the other end of the control cable and 2 color coded coax cables w/o ends.

The hardest part was hauling the Trav'ler up on the roof.
Then I found a good place for it and really, really, really took my time here. Lots of Dicor and then screwed it down by hand (I wanted to feel when the screws were getting tight) then a lot more dicor.

Ran the wires added the coax ends and cover, secured the cables and a lot more dicor.

Plugged it in, turned it on and watched it dance and badabing it locked into the 3 dish satellites. We hooked up the cable to the 211Z and reprogramed it per instructions and it is flawless.

Just be sure to get the Trav'ler that works with your satellite company.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #12

The Traveller is used for both Direct and Dish but are not interchangeable. You have to buy one specifically for Dish or DirecTV. We have one for DirecTV and it works really well. Our controller is in the basement area. We just have to power it on and after the dish sets up, the unit powers off and we do not need to use it again until we stow the dish. Not sure why you could not have it installed as long as the correct wiring is added. That is what we had to do with our HitchHiker.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:28 PM   #13

I have the traveler in direct TV on mine and works great. We have had problems not getting a signal when parked in trees or where mountains block the signal. I also bring a winngaurd carryout witch is automatic for these instances
Old 09-05-2016, 06:50 AM   #14

And we have rarely had an issue with getting a signal. We ask for an open site for a variety of reasons and the rooftop satellite is just one of those reasons. We carried a portable dish with us but never used it and recently removed it from the RV. We usually have enough stuff recorded on the DVR to keep us entertained if we cannot get the satellite to lock in. However, on our trip to Alaska, we did not have DirecTV service at all the farther north we went. We had too much fun to worry about TV and if we wanted to watch something, we just pulled out a DVD.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote