RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Winter Camping in the South

We're heading south to middle Georgia until Xmas then across the south to Arizona (I-20) hopefully. I purchased a heated water hose. I'm in VA now and will head out fully winterized (with antifreeze). Assuming the nights may dip below freezing (but probably not below 28 degrees), should I be able to camp as normal in my Beacon. I know I will have the furnace on at least at nights. The tanks all have heat elements. I'm planning to spend the first night in TN just between Chattanooga and Knoxville and plan to de-winterize by flushing all the antifreeze and camping as normal all the way to Mesa. I don't expect freezing temps during the day while traveling but if I do, I plan to run the furnace as we make our way west. Is this a bad idea or not a problem?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2019, 07:57 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would be watching the weather closely, looks like a bad week for traveling across Midwest/central US

GNRVNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
We're heading south to middle Georgia until Xmas then across the south to Arizona (I-20) hopefully. I purchased a heated water hose. I'm in VA now and will head out fully winterized (with antifreeze). Assuming the nights may dip below freezing (but probably not below 28 degrees), should I be able to camp as normal in my Beacon. I know I will have the furnace on at least at nights. The tanks all have heat elements. I'm planning to spend the first night in TN just between Chattanooga and Knoxville and plan to de-winterize by flushing all the antifreeze and camping as normal all the way to Mesa. I don't expect freezing temps during the day while traveling but if I do, I plan to run the furnace as we make our way west. Is this a bad idea or not a problem?
Just stayed the week of the 10th in Chattanooga. One night it got down to 16 and the low point drains froze up, it froze up into the rig and we went a bought a heated hose. The rest of the week it was in the high 20's at night.
The way the weather looks for now you need to keep an eye on it. We will be heading that way toward Arizona from The Oaks at Point South in South Carolina on December 5th.
We stayed at Lookout Mountain KOA and it was a nice park.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:27 PM   #4

The Beacon is one of the better 5th wheels to try this trip with. You might or might not be ok on Route 20. Cold weather sweeps down to Route 20 and freezing rain and icy roads are possible

Can you wiggle down to Route 10 to get a bit further south? That route will be 5 to 10 degrees warmer I think. When traveling there is a big difference between 26 degrees on route 20 and 35 degrees on route 10. Freezing vs not freezing.

I am not a fan of cold weather. I got caught in the snow one time. Key word is one time. I was only towing a 5,000lb trailer with a F-150 4x4 280 miles. It took 3 hours to go 60 white knuckle miles on a slushy highway. It was a big relief to get onto a wet road vs an icy road. I had the trailer in the mountains 80 miles east of Pittsburgh Pa. and was towing it to Columbus Ohio at the end of October. This whole episode was messed up as I tried to do this before the 6 inches of snow hit but did not make it.

One thing you need to consider is how much slush/salt might get on your truck and Beacon.

Good luck
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:59 AM   #5
JDT

We just did a couple of weeks in Branson and had a low of 13 one morning. One thing to remember is even if you have a heated hose the park connection can freeze. Our park in Branson has the typical stand up self draining type and we were required to disconnect during the freezing weather. I have never ran our heat going down the road and I'm not sure how well that would work. We did get a tube type electric heater from Home Depot that we used quite a bit. It really helped reduce the use of propane. I just made sure that at night the furnace ran enough to keep the underbelly warm.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
I second trying I-10. If you chose I-40, unless you cut south at, or before, ABQ, Flagstaff looks to be pretty well closed. They're saying upwards of 2' of show > 5k' here in AZ. You could cut S on 25 to 10 at ABQ or head S on NM 54 at Santa Rosa, to Alamogordo, then 74 to 10 at Las Cruces. Even on 10, El Paso can be a real icy mess, even if there's not much snow. Were it me, I think I'd not de-winterize until Mesa.

Either way, I'd watch the weather =really= closely and simply be prepared to hunker down somewhere...in a hotel!

Lyle
Old 11-27-2019, 02:44 PM   #7

To keep the campground water supply from freezing, let a faucet run on trickle all night, it keeps the water flowing. Make sure your grey tank valves are open.
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:15 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Not even considering I-40. First choice will be I-20 and I-10 only if weather turns super cold on me. I-20 merges with I-10 in west Texas anyway.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:28 AM   #9

I plan on going to Quartzsite AR in January. I live right beside I-40, Exit 364. I plan on taking I-95 south to Jacksonville Florida to I-10 to Quartzsite. That way Iíll stay out of the cold. I plan on staying gone about 45 days
spock12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:06 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock12 View Post
I plan on going to Quartzsite AR in January. I live right beside I-40, Exit 364. I plan on taking I-95 south to Jacksonville Florida to I-10 to Quartzsite. That way Iíll stay out of the cold. I plan on staying gone about 45 days
I've considered going I-10 all the way but several folks have told me how terrible it is through Louisiana. They've convinced me to go out on I-20
Old 11-28-2019, 09:26 AM   #11

I take hwy 10 from Houston to gulf shores two or three times a year. I10 is not bad at all. Been all over the country and you would be smart to take hwy. 10 and avoid the cold. Good luck

Enjoy the journey
Old 11-28-2019, 09:45 AM   #12

In our travels around America and Canada and Alaska we have been on bad roads. After a few thousand miles all the highways seem bad. Iím getting old and my brain doesnít work well so itís hard for me to remember which roads are the worst.
spock12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:55 AM   #13
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
No problem running the furnace. At your overnight stops, check with the Rv park as to water availability. Some may have it turned on, some may not.

We normally do not connect to city water when traveling as we usually have enough water in the tank to last us. However, if we need to connect, I don't leave it connected during the night, especially if its going below freezing.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
you should be fine but I would think about I 10 to Arizona that time of the year.

Tags
camping, winter