Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2015, 12:03 AM   #1

Question Winterization Question......???

Hello once more, and I have yet another bizarre question.

Why can't we use gentle air pressure to winterized any pipes after/while emptying the hot water tank, etc etc. You know like winterising a sprinkler system. I devised a way to use my air tank for my flooring nail gun to winterise my sprinkler system. So why not parts of the RV?

I have a regulator so I can control how much pressure I push into the pipes.

It should work right?? Or I being a dumb ass again lol.

I like to always keep learning new things etc creating new ideas. Some are good... some are well.... we won't go there lol.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 12:52 AM   #2

We winterize our trailer with compressed air. Connectors to connect the air tank to the water system can be found at RV stores.
First we empty our on board water tank and run the water pump till it is dry. Then we use compressed air at no greater than 25 psi (as I was told), normally around 20 psi. Bypass the hot water heater, drain the hot water tank, then we hook up the air to the city water hook up and run each faucet dry. Start with the furthest faucet from the city water intake. I'll run through the trailer two or three times opening the faucets one at a time until the air is dry. Do not forget the toilet, shower or outdoor showers. Once done, empty the grey and black tanks then add RV anti freeze to all of the sink / shower traps (drains) and toilet (to keep the seal wet). I also leave the system drain lines (under the trailer) open all winter, I do cover them in a plastic bag with a very small hole to let any water out. Hope this makes sense.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrant09 View Post
We winterize our trailer with compressed air. Connectors to connect the air tank to the water system can be found at RV stores.
First we empty our on board water tank and run the water pump till it is dry. Then we use compressed air at no greater than 25 psi (as I was told), normally around 20 psi. Bypass the hot water heater, drain the hot water tank, then we hook up the air to the city water hook up and run each faucet dry. Start with the furthest faucet from the city water intake. I'll run through the trailer two or three times opening the faucets one at a time until the air is dry. Do not forget the toilet, shower or outdoor showers. Once done, empty the grey and black tanks then add RV anti freeze to all of the sink / shower traps (drains) and toilet (to keep the seal wet). I also leave the system drain lines (under the trailer) open all winter, I do cover them in a plastic bag with a very small hole to let any water out. Hope this makes sense.
That's awesome and makes perfect sense. I'm thinking my sprinkler system connector I have will also work for the RV as its a standards hose connector or is there another adapter I don't know about? And do you have a pic etc or a link to buy such a thing.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:37 AM   #4

Here is a straight fitting. Mine has about 2' of hose on it.. I think this one id=s from Camco. Amazon should also have these. Search for a RV Blow Out hose or fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k2-_c3ba9aaa-ad4f-4767-8265-a02b27ffaa56.v1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	85222  
Old 02-05-2015, 03:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrant09 View Post
Here is a straight fitting. Mine has about 2' of hose on it.. I think this one id=s from Camco. Amazon should also have these. Search for a RV Blow Out hose or fitting.
yup that's what I have. This will be my method to winterise. Thank you very much for giving me the confidence.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:26 AM   #6

I take my little nail gun compressor with us when were out camping,it takes about 30 min to get all the water out of the lines.Had the trailer out 5 times this winter and only used 3/4 gallon of rv antifreeze.When we leave the campground the trailer is winterized and is still ready for the next camping trip.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:47 PM   #7

I ran a test on my MH. First I used my air compressor (set to 45psi) to blow out the lines,fresh water tank and WH tank empty and bypass on. Then I pumped RV anti-freeze through the lines. Every faucet would run out about a cup of clear water before pink anti-freeze would begin to appear.
That tells me, somewhere in the lines are low spots that collect remaining water. I always use RV anti-freeze. It can get really expensive to replace hidden water lines.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #8

I agree totally with Ray, I have always blown out all my lines and then run antifreeze. Without fail water comes out before you see antifreeze and I will not chance it when it is so easy and inexpensive to run the pink stuff through.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #9

I have been using air on mine since brand new in the fall of 2005. That was the way the manual said to do it and I have had no problem at all with any lines breaking.
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:44 PM   #10

I agree with possible low or collection points, this is why I'll run through several times opening each faucet with the air on. Our service center taught us this method.
This is sort of like skinning a cat, many different methods, in the end, we all have a naked cat.. :-)
Old 02-05-2015, 11:51 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcrew18 View Post
I agree totally with Ray, I have always blown out all my lines and then run antifreeze. Without fail water comes out before you see antifreeze and I will not chance it when it is so easy and inexpensive to run the pink stuff through.
YEP!!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter