Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2005, 05:39 AM   #1

I bought the Camco Brass fitted by pass kit which consists of two valves a hose and plumbers tape. Well, here is my problem. I have a six gal. Atwood wh and when I am hooked up in by-pass mode, and open the hot water faucet at any sink, water comes out of the wh drain hole. I assumed that if a left the plug out while by-passed that this would be ok because there would not be any water in the wh. Is this the result of a faulty valve? Secondly, when the by-pass is set up in either by-pass mode or not, my hot water pressure is extremely low. The only thing I could think of is the opening on the valves are reduced allowing less water trough than with a directly hooked up water line. Should i just eliminate the kit and tie the lines together to insure a "true by-pass" or am I doing something wrong? I know that the cold water on the bottom comes either into the tank or up to the hot water line depending on the what position the valve is in and the valve on the top must divert the water back into the lines and not into the hw tank. My valves are positioned correctly. Please help me out!
Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2005, 05:39 AM   #2

I bought the Camco Brass fitted by pass kit which consists of two valves a hose and plumbers tape. Well, here is my problem. I have a six gal. Atwood wh and when I am hooked up in by-pass mode, and open the hot water faucet at any sink, water comes out of the wh drain hole. I assumed that if a left the plug out while by-passed that this would be ok because there would not be any water in the wh. Is this the result of a faulty valve? Secondly, when the by-pass is set up in either by-pass mode or not, my hot water pressure is extremely low. The only thing I could think of is the opening on the valves are reduced allowing less water trough than with a directly hooked up water line. Should i just eliminate the kit and tie the lines together to insure a "true by-pass" or am I doing something wrong? I know that the cold water on the bottom comes either into the tank or up to the hot water line depending on the what position the valve is in and the valve on the top must divert the water back into the lines and not into the hw tank. My valves are positioned correctly. Please help me out!
Old 10-25-2005, 06:16 AM   #3

Well, I can only assume that one of the two valves are screwed up and allowing water into the hw tank even when in the by-pass position. I have since tied the cold and hot lines directly together to by-pass the hw tank and everything is groovy. Layton fully winterized and in hybernation!
Old 10-29-2005, 06:30 AM   #4

Yeah, been there done that!
The first time I winterized I use five gallon jugs of antifreeze before I realized I was filling the dang wh! Then a couple of emails to the dealer and manufacturer eventually located the bypass valve.
No! Wait! I bought the rig winterized. I found the bypass the first time I took a shower! Ten seconds of warm water folowed by freezing cold! Yep, now I remember! I learned where the bypass was fully lathered and wrapped in a towel!
Chet