Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #1

wired camera install

Hello All
I am planning on installing a wired rearview camera system on the 5th wheel. I have tried the wireless systems and am not happy with he picture and blanking in and out. I purchased a Tadi Brothers wired camera system and am wondering where do I run the wires from the back to the front of the 5th wheel? We own a Montana High Country . thanks
jimandpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #2

On my Travel trailer I just ran the wire along the frame and zip ties it to another wire loom. I used RG6 cable with an RCA adapter end on both ends.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandpat View Post
Hello All
I am planning on installing a wired rearview camera system on the 5th wheel. I have tried the wireless systems and am not happy with he picture and blanking in and out. I purchased a Tadi Brothers wired camera system and am wondering where do I run the wires from the back to the front of the 5th wheel? We own a Montana High Country . thanks
I had a wired system on my last Bighorn. It had a fiberglass end cap and front cap. I snaked the cable across and down inside the rear cap by removing the center high mount light, the curbside high mount light and the curbside tail light. I used a 25' electricians fish tape.

Once down at the bottom of the rear cap I had to peel down the coroplast sheeting to pull the cable out and run it along the frame to the front. Here on the curbside of my trailer was the battery/hydraulic compartment where I could bring the cable up.

Now the harder part...getting the cable across the enclosed front of the trailer to the pinbox. I was lucky in that I could disconnect the ground wire at the junction box in the pinbox and use it as a pull wire to pull the cable and another ground wire back in.

My setup came with a quick connect that I then mounted at the pinbox area. A coiled cable ran from there to a second quick connect mounted on the sidewall of my truck bed next to my power connection. I hade it configured so that the power cable ran inside the coiled camera cable which kept it nice and tidy.

If I dig around I might have pics somewhere. If I find them, I'll post them.

Found the pics:

Top picture shows the camera quick connect with the blue camera cable plugged in at pinbox.

Next picture shows the junction box at back of pinbox with RJ-6 camera cable coming in with cluster of power wires on the right. It leaves encased in automotive wire protector out the top going to the quick connect.

The next picture shows how the power cable is run inside blue coiled camera cable.

Last picture is the location and configuration of my power connection and the camera connection in the bed of my truck.

I don't have any pics of how I ran it under the trailer along the frame, but you can figure out how that would work best on your rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4320.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	180419   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4321.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	180420  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4322.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	486.0 KB
ID:	180421   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4326.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	180422  

Old 10-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #4

I went across the top of the 5er to a box that was already there. that provided a hole through the roof and then snaked into the basement. Went forward in basement and out front to the hitch. Put the connections there.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandpat View Post
Hello All

There are several videos on YouTube the show guys installing these systems.
trappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:37 PM   #6

cable routing

I mounted the camera inside the camper to the top of the rear window frame hidden behind the curtain valance. I ran the cable around the window frame to the floor through the vent into the basement compartment. Here is where I drilled the only hole for the cable which then ran along the frame to the LP compartment. I fished the cable into the front compartment, then loosened the screws holding the underside tin and fished the cable end with connector to the pin box. A second cable is used from the truck cab under the seats and is pulled out to connect to the pin box cable when needed.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, install